Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2005, 01:17 PM   #1

ok, I also have one more concern on this camper that I bought. It has Dexter Axles, and they have been flipped.. actually turned upside down, they dont have different saddles welded on the top of the axle. And, they look bent in the middle. I know some axle manufacturerers build this slight bend in the axles to give some jolt protection, but the bends are supposed to bent up, and the bends on my camper are now down... my question is: Did Dexter build these bent type axles, or are mine just bent? and, if they did build them... can the bend facing down hurt?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2005, 01:17 PM   #2

ok, I also have one more concern on this camper that I bought. It has Dexter Axles, and they have been flipped.. actually turned upside down, they dont have different saddles welded on the top of the axle. And, they look bent in the middle. I know some axle manufacturerers build this slight bend in the axles to give some jolt protection, but the bends are supposed to bent up, and the bends on my camper are now down... my question is: Did Dexter build these bent type axles, or are mine just bent? and, if they did build them... can the bend facing down hurt?

Old 04-26-2005, 01:49 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
If you go to Dexter's website, you'll find their axle relocation kit. In this kit are new spring perches that fit on top of the axle when it is relocated below the springs.

"Flipping the axles" is a misnomer. Most of these axles have camber built into them, and if they are turned 180* (as yours apparently have been), the camber will be incorrect. Rapid, uneven tire wear (probably the inside edge of the tread) will be the result.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 02:50 PM   #4

I had an rv dealership do a flip in my old trailer and the Bozo actually flipped the axles like you describe.My trailer was about 2 ft. higher than when I brought it in.He was all proud of himself and says to me whatcha think?I argued with him for about ten minutes and I left after checking bolts and stuff.He kept trying to convince me this was done to keystones specs.I only paid him ($120.00) because he did weld the perches in the right spot.I got home and corrected everything myself.Check their website for kit and instruction

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 09:11 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:
I had an rv dealership do a flip in my old trailer and the Bozo actually flipped the axles like you describe.My trailer was about 2 ft. higher than when I brought it in. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm hoping this is a slight exxageration - the trailer should be about 6 inches taller - the actual dimension would be the thickness of the axle and spring mount.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 04:44 PM   #6

Who's BS'n who here? If the axles were really flipped the spring perches would not need relocation, would they?
Jim
Old 05-02-2005, 06:29 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Jim,

I don't know that anyone is BSing anyone. The original poster's description is consistent with an incorrect relocation of the axles from above to below the springs - note that he states:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It has Dexter Axles, and they have been flipped.. actually turned upside down, they dont have different saddles welded on the top of the axle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If the axles were originally installed above the springs, a correct relocation would involve adding spring perches to the tops of the axles as outlined in Dexter's axle relocation kit.

Rusty
Old 05-02-2005, 11:08 AM   #8

Correct.. they put no new saddles on top of the axles.. they just turned the axle until the factory ones are on top... now, my slight bend is facing down, instead of up... ??? Not sure if this is good or not...
Old 05-02-2005, 12:34 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
As I said before, it's definitely NOT good as the camber built into the axle is reversed.

Rusty
Old 05-02-2005, 01:54 PM   #10

I aint lyin. This happened to me.Like I said he flipped the axles upsidedown and welded the perches and installed it like it was normal.Picture this,new perches,exactly on the other side of the old ones.He turned the axles around and mounted them in the same location as the way it was.I took it home and pulled axles through the spring pack and mounted them underslung.Remember , electric brakes do not work when upside down.I have a hard time trusting so called pro's.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 07:21 PM   #11

Britej,Rusty & others:
Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Was not referring to original poster. If axles were actually flipped(turned upside down)from on top of springs to under springs no new spring perch welding would be required. Know this would be TOTALLY INCORRECT PROCEDURE due to ensuing negative camber.Just get tired of some peoples false statements/advice which sometimes leads inexperienced folks down the wrong trail.
Jim
Old 05-30-2005, 10:28 AM   #12

The axle if up side down , you need to get the over /under kit and turn the axle right side up .Now not later as its a hazard and no brakes too . Skipper entry level over fifty years.