Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2014, 07:03 AM   #1

Dicor or EDPM ?

Time to clean and 'resurface' the roof of the 5ver. The roof is EDPM (Skyline - ALJO) and in good condition, no leaks, just getting 'old' looking. Want to re-seal before any problems. Dicor has the 2 step process + 2 coats (plus the cleaner seems to be harsh - do not get on paint ) where as the EPDM is clean with a mild detergent and apply. Has anyone got any input into what is the best ? Thanks
P.S. thank you all for the welcome.
deanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2014, 07:17 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
It only needs washed with a mild detergent up to 4 times a year.
No resurface needed no protector needed. Unless it no longer has a white look and is totally black.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:28 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
We have used roof cleaners from RV places, Dollar Tree has a "Mr Green" ? It's a green cleaner that works well to break up the more stubborn deposits and safe.

On this forum some time ago there was mention of a cleaner by ZEP for cleaning your RV roof and enviromentally safe as well. We absolutely love ZEP products. Home Depot has carried them exclusively for many years. Now you see some ZEP products in Walmart, Menards. But we still get ours from Home Depot since they have a much larger product line. Perhaps another reader can remember which ZEP product this was I forgot the name but had good reviews from readers.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/zep-...nt-161359.html

Check that out. Might be the one I read.

Also, I have a water line up on the roof with me as I clean, I wash down areas I clean right away to delute any chemicals just in case. I do not want any marks on awnings, paint, and so on. Take time in doing it. I also do any other inspections while I am up there. All vents, ac, tv sealants, Fewer times I have to climb up there the better.
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:36 PM   #4

The roof is starting to "go black" in spots. Want to refinish now before it gets worse.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:30 PM   #5

I used the Dicor 2 part system with EXCELLENT results. The only regret I have is that there is a newer version out which is "supposed" to be much better than what I used. On the other hand, I'm satisfied with the original as the newer one has no track record yet. https://dicorproducts.com/catalog/ro...oof-renew-kit/

On my 34' TS with 2 slides, I did 3 coats on the roof and 2 on the slides using 1 and a part bottle of the activator and 2 and 3/4 gallons of sealant. Overkill but I did a good job. My wife noticed that the A/C ran less this season with less hot spots, especially in the BR where the roof was the blackest.
quickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:52 PM   #6

Dicor is a brand. EPDM is a type of rubber.

Now that that is clear, you do NOT need to coat it. You can and waste your money.

You need to regularly wash and treat it and check the sealant regularly. That's it. Black spots do not hurt. You would not be "refinishing" it, but coating it which is pointless.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:59 AM   #7

Sorry, I guess I have to be more specific. www.epdmcoatings.com or www.dicor.com. 2 different coating companies. The reason that I am considering refinishing is that the black spots are going to get worse not better. And living in Texas 100 degree days are not uncommon, a white roof is preferable to black physics 101.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:26 AM   #8

How old of a roof are we talking here?
Old 01-07-2014, 05:57 AM   #9

15 years.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:18 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dicor manufactures EPDM roofing. Any of the coatings designed for use on EPDM roofing should work well.
The sluffing off of the top (white) layer is normal and recoating is commonly done.
Be sure to follow the manufacturers directions for prepwork.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:02 AM   #11

If you're set on coating, go for it. Just clean clean clean, let it dry, and coat. Either one will be fine. Just make sure it's for EPDM.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:12 PM   #12

I used the single application from EPDM last year. Very happy with it so far. If you have any questions feel free to pm me.
skipjack1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipjack1st View Post
I used the single application from EPDM last year. Very happy with it so far. If you have any questions feel free to pm me.
Thanks for the input. How did you 'prep' before applying?
Old 02-18-2014, 08:59 PM   #14

I did mine at 16 years with EDPM from EDPM Coatings. Love the fact of no more black streaks as with the original roof. I scuffed the rubber roof attaching trim and 1/2 inch onto the fiberglass sides and cap. Applied masking tape at the 1/2 inch line and ran EDPM over all the spots a leak may start. EDPM is used on all type of surfaces, so: I was tired of sun rotting sewer vents, AC cover and vent covers. I scuffed all of these and coated them also. The water heater is a place where rot can start when draining it frequently. I also coated the bottom of that so water can not seep through seams. Scuff with 100 grit sand paper. EDPM is very stiff and does not flow easily. Have a supply of different size squeeges on hand. I also had a stiff short bristle 4 inch brush. Instructions say put it on 40mills thick.. Think about how thick 40 mill is. I cut 4 pieces of 10 mill plastic so I could visualize it. You can freeze the left over for later uses. Used a HD paint mixer and 1/2 in HD drive drill to mix it. Good Luck.

Tags
dicor