Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2019, 06:31 AM   #1

Dicor or Eternabond for roof tears?

I guess I get the "bonehead" award for this week...……….:( Somehow, I managed to put a very small (1/2") tear in my rubber roof while cleaning it. I never noticed a tear while cleaning and only discovered it after I inspected the roof later. The only thing that I can come up with is the plastic handle on the garden hose sprayer may have snagged the roof when I was moving the hose around. Honestly, I had no idea that the rubber roof material was so thin and fragile.

That said, I see that there are two popular repair kits. Something called Dicor patch kit and something called Eternabond tape. Does anyone have any opinions or recommendations? Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2019, 06:52 AM   #2

I carry Eternabond with me. It will likely be your easiest way to repair the roof as it's a good cleaning, remove the back and stick it down and apply pressure. That said I have a fiberglass roof and don't know anything about membrane roofs so take my advice with a grain of salt.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:56 AM   #3
JDT

I used Eternabond to repair a small hole in my rubber roof 7 years ago, right after I got it. It's still there and looks no different from the day I put it on.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 09:26 AM   #4

x2 on Eternabond. I have it right next to the duct tape.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:57 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies. The more that I looked at the tear, the more it did not look "fresh". However, I never noticed it while cleaning the roof.

The local RV dealer only had Camco brand patch kits. I'm sure Camco does not manufacturer this stuff, so I don't know exactly what I have. They did carry the Dicor levelling sealant, so I used that around the edges. We had rain in the forecast for last night and I had to get it repaired asap. I will get a roll of Eternabond at my earliest opportunity.
Old 05-31-2019, 05:14 AM   #6

As others have said, Eternabond tape. That stuff is great! I tend to use both Eternabond tape and Dicor self-leveling caulk. I put down the Eternabond and run a bead of Dicor around the edges of the tape. Probably overkill, but it makes me feel good. [emoji2957]
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 05:24 AM   #7

Eternabond all the way. I have had repairs last for many years. I carry a big roll in my tool crib, as I have been known to be a bonehead from time to time.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:39 AM   #8

On my last 5er I used Eteranbond on the front and rear roof seams. I could pretty much check those areas off when doing my roof caulking inspections. No more re-caulking those areas.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:54 AM   #9

Eternabond tape

Eternabond tape is available on Amazon in assorted sizes in white an black.
John Lorang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:13 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've had good success with both brands Dicor and Eternabond. The Dicor is the same material as the Eternabond, both seal well. It's all in the way you clean and apply it. Sometimes, depending on what I am sealing, I'll apply the Dicor leveling caulk for extra measure.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 05:14 AM   #11

I will certainly purchase some Eternabond. I was disappointed that my local RV dealer only carried the Camco brand.
Old 06-01-2019, 06:15 AM   #12

I repaired a small tear in my rubber roof several years ago with eternabond tape. I is tough stuff. A tree branch fell on my air conditioner cover, and put a crack in the top. I repaired the crack with eternabond tape. It has never leaked. You cant even see it from the ground. I probably wont even bother replacing the plastic cover unless something else happens to the cover. I always carry a part roll of eternabond in the rv. You never know when a storm might drop some branches on your roof, and break or tear something. Clean the area with mineral spirits before applying. Be sure to use a roller, or apply with pressure. This step is important to ensure good adhesion.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher003 View Post
As others have said, Eternabond tape. That stuff is great! I tend to use both Eternabond tape and Dicor self-leveling caulk. I put down the Eternabond and run a bead of Dicor around the edges of the tape. Probably overkill, but it makes me feel good. [emoji2957]
X2.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 11:56 AM   #14

Instructions on Ertna say always put sealent on forward edges . Those facing direction of travel great stuff. Always carry some with you .
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dicor, eternabond, roof