Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2017, 08:57 PM   #29

I would have the system tested as there may be a charging problem as the batteries shouldn't be bad that soon. I have an 05 Ram and just put in new batteries about 2 month ago for the first time. That makes 12 years on the originals. Now that's more like it.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2017, 09:39 PM   #30

If the batteries had been drawn down by the previous owner a few time, then they could be toast. But check the system out is a good idea.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:48 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdarrin View Post
Strange timing on this thread. I've been getting a check engine light on my 2012 Ram, off an on, for the last couple weeks. The code reader showed 562. Last Thursday, click, click nothing. Turned off everything. Tried it again and it fired up. Needless to say, stopped at Auto Zone and had them check it. DS battery was 10.7 and we couldn't find a date on it. PS battery was 12.7 with a 14/11 date code and tested good. One new battery and life is back to normal. It's been a while since I bought a 12v battery. $210 installed.
With a dual battery system you should replace both batteries at the same time. Regardless if one battery checks out ok on voltage or not. The new battery could be destroyed by over charging from the alternator that is trying to charge the older battery.

I also notice that the voltage on your good battery is really down this should be in a range of 13.6 to 14.3 volts for a good battery.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:52 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post

I also notice that the voltage on your good battery is really down this should be in a range of 13.6 to 14.3 volts for a good battery.

It should be 12.7 or so with no load and not charging. 13.6 to 14.3 would apply with the engine running, depending on the battery SOC.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:30 AM   #33

Too many people/forums advise replacing both batteries--have always followed that advice, no matter what the 2nd battery reads.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 02:22 PM   #34

Indeed replace both batteries at the same time. If not then the bad battery will pull down the good one. I bought mine at about 3 and a half years on account one battery went dead.Wal-mart is a good place because they are everywhere as well as o'rielly auto-parts. I talked to the manager at the automotive dept. at wal-mart and he said to replace both at the same time. I agreed with him but asked about the warranty if just 1 battery went bad and they were both under warranty. He told me that they would replace the bad and the good battery at the same time at no charge if one battery was bad. This makes sense. but i don't know about o'reilly or interstate or any one else.I'm sure there are better battery's out there but they will cost more and may not be as accesible as wal-mart.
shelbytexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 03:28 PM   #35

shelbytexan,
I sincerely hope you got that 'replace both batteries' in writing--cannot see that happening at a normal WalMart. Or--can you find that statement anywhere in WMs auto department?
At 3 years, you're out of total replacement, just maybe pro-rated left--but next time you hear that, get it in writing.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:29 PM   #36

I would be somewhat concerned with 2013 batteries having to be replaced, why are dual diesel batteries only lasting 4 years? I would have the system checked by a dealer or shop capable of running diagnostics. Maybe it's normal but not acceptable.
KerrTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:50 PM   #37

I had to replace the batteries in my 2013 Ford that I bought in February 2016. In Phoenix the heat kills them in short order and I do short trips with the A/C on high in the summer. Getting to the terminal in the middle of the night it only takes once not starting and they get replaced. I have been using Walmart batteries for years, can always find a store to have them replaced.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:16 PM   #38

To the original poster if you feel like you needed to Great
My batteries in my 2008 GMC Diesel are original checked by GM 4 months
ago they were fine. truck sets outside in new England weather
08Carriage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:24 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
I'm new to diesel pickups and fifth wheels. We just bought a 2013 Chevy Silverado 3500HD with a duramax diesel. Both original batteries need replacing before we start traveling. I want high quality batteries but can't seem to find information online. Could some of you please recommend some good high quality batteries that will serve us well??? Also, I've been told that some things have to be programmed after the new batteries go in...I'm lost and don't know what to believe!!! Can anyone help???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhagfo View Post
When I replaced the batteries on my 2001 RAM, I replaced with OEM 75 month batteries. Replaced in the dealers side lot, one at a time, used a length of bicycle inner tube over the positive terminal, once disconnected. Also covered the handle of the ratchet with inner tube. Systems on the truck never lost power.

Wheeled the new out on a hand truck, and about 20 minutes later returned the cores on the same hand truck.
Just an FYI to the OP! These batteries are now FIVE years old, one more than the OEM batteries in your 2013.
Last weekend I needed to replace the tappet cover gasket on the 2001 Cummins. Requires removing the injector fuel lines and the injection pump, so dry fuel system. This is a electro-mechanical Injection pump and mechanical injectors, so very hard to start, after opening the fuel system. To top it off I didn't tighten one of the fuel lines .
Well after many long cranking sessions it finally fired, this with the 5 year old OEM (bought MOPAR) batteries.

OP your batteries likely still have several years in them.
Rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:58 PM   #40

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My motorhome still had the OEM batteries in it till last year. Replaced all four 925 CCA starting batteries with ones on sale at a Freightliner dealer.
2008 build date on the motorhome an replaced in 2016, so 8 years.
In the previous rig I went 10 years on the batteries in it.
Age isn't a determining factor, performance is.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:38 AM   #41

"Age isn't a determining factor, performance is."

That is one true statement....
Old 04-16-2017, 12:55 PM   #42
IC2

I would have the batteries load tested after you did a post and terminal cleaning plus a tightness check on the cables at the engine and starter. These dual batteries on a diesel usually will last many years. The current and original batteries in my '11 Ford, built May 2010 are '100 month' batteries and are working well but are nearing their advertised life span. Now, with that said, original equipment usually works as well as any and batteries are often competitively priced with NAPA/Walmart and others - but expect to spend in the neighborhood of 200-300 bucks for the pair and DIY installation. I've used Walmart batteries in the past in other vehicles with good results so don't feel that they are not worth consideration.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, battery, diesel