Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2014, 07:10 AM   #15

Gordon Dewald,

I assume that the 3m you mention is the same invisible bra material that was on the front my DP. I did not think of that but sounds like a great solution. I could just apply a small amount at that corner. I assume that it is an easy install. I have not researched but is it easy to find? Do you purchase by the roll or sheet. Is there any trick to the installation? Any info on the 3m would be appreciated.
Thanks

gregk is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2014, 07:22 AM   #16

gregk, you do know that your truck having the 6.4 ltr is one that if needing any significant engine repair like turbos etc., the cab of the truck has to be removed. Not the hood, the entire truck cab body. That is why I would be very cautious in operating it any further with the aftermarket trick stuff operational.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:13 AM   #17

gregk,
I have the H&S MiniMaxx, not the Black Maxx--I am not sure what tune levels yours has, but I can tow in both 'Stock' and 'Tow' modes without any concerns. If I jump it another level to 'Street' tune, then the Exhaust Gas Temp (EGT) will climb near danger point on inclines. You can input Defuel temps to keep the engine from going past that temp point. I like to monitor: EGT/Oil temp/coolant temp/trans temp while towing.
I THINK our tuners are basically the same, but the monitor for the Black is larger than the Mini.
If you don't have the manual, suggest you call H&S in St. George, UT, for some tech help. There is also a lot of info on the internet available. If you don't already know of it, the www.thedieselstop.com is one of the best websites available for Ford info.
nosticks,
Not that it can't happen, but the cab is still on my truck at 176000 miles with 78000 of that with the tuner. The 'aftermarket stuff' usually does not hurt longevity unless the higher performance levels are abused--if you race it, it will break...
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:53 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregk View Post
Gordon Dewald,

I assume that the 3m you mention is the same invisible bra material that was on the front my DP. I did not think of that but sounds like a great solution. I could just apply a small amount at that corner. I assume that it is an easy install. I have not researched but is it easy to find? Do you purchase by the roll or sheet. Is there any trick to the installation? Any info on the 3m would be appreciated.
Thanks
Hey Greg;
Yes on the clear material. I had the 3M material put on professionally on the front, flares over the duallies, headlights, etc. They suggested above the exhaust with a piece left over. The young lady who was doing it made it look really easy!!

I imagine you can find 3M or like products on the internet at places such as eBay or Amazon.

I thought I would eventually have to replace it because of the diesel smoke but after 50,000 miles of mostly towing there is nothing to really clean off, either on the paint or on the bumper. Truck runs really clean.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:06 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
My understanding is the bad years for the Ford engines was the Navistar 6L installed from 03 to 06. 03 and 04 were the worst years with changes made. According to Ford by 06 the 6L engine had the fewest amount of complaints of all of the Ford engines.

My 05 seems to run well, handles the load well and is not giving any problems. The engine is completely stock and used to pull a 18,000 5er. I pull around 60 +/- most of the time and it pulls OK. At times (pulling hills) I would like more HP but I am not in a hurry and find that faster = more fuel. I asked about a chip and was told it takes fuel to make power.

My next door neighbour is the heavy duty mechanic for our local Ford dealer and does the work on my truck. He does not seem overly concerned about my engine and I have asked him specifically about it.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:07 PM   #20

Been programmed for 7 years.
My 6.0L runs great and tows mostly on level 2 (85 hp).
Saw black smoke for first time last winter towing in Texas.
Took 200 miles of turbo boosting to free the vans. It seam to work because the smoking disappeared and power and mileage came back. I always say that the programer has been a great tool to both protect and make more power while not overpowering the engine.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:54 PM   #21

I have a 08 6.4 fully stock and pull a 27' 5er. My tail pipe is squeaky clean and does not smoke, I have seen many diesels smokin but they were tricked out. When not pulling my trailer I keep it under 10 lbs of boost and under 2000 rpm and don't shut down the truck until my ScanGuage shows my EGT under 400 degrees. 102,000 on the odometer. Love love the Scanguage, I monitor water temp, oil temp (which is always 5 to 7 degrees hotter than water, EGT and a different one at different times. What's good about watching EGT is when the engine is in regen I DO NOT shut down the engine and my oil level remains constant. It takes 14 miles to do a full up regen.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:23 PM   #22

Been running diesel p/u and 5vr for 12 years now. Never had a diesel stain.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:24 PM   #23

BTW I hav a Banks Monster exhaust turbo back. Smokes like a drunken sailor and still no stains.
Old 06-18-2014, 06:36 AM   #24

Thanks for all the info. I was probably making a big deal out of nothing being concerned about diesel staining. Good to know that it is no issue. Went with full body paint on the new Lifestyle. Would hate to stain it first time pulling it.

Wingnut60 - I will take your advice and contact H&S for info and possibly an owners manual. The F350 has 70,000 mi but is in excellent condition. I will mainly use it for towing the new Lifestyle. Sounds like I will be towing with the tuner in the off position from what I have learned so far. BTW - I am amazed by the power of the truck with the Black Max in the full on position. Glad the previous owner is a good friend as I can trust that the truck was treated well. The first and longest tow for me with the new to me truck and new Lifestyle will be in Sept when I pick up the new 5er in Indiana. I live in Texas so I will have a lot to get used to for those first few days pulling it home to Texas.

gregk is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel