Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2014, 08:17 AM   #1

Diesel Exhaust Stain

I just ordered a new Lifestyle and will take delivery in Sept. We recently sold our diesel pusher and decided on the move to a 5er and dually p/u. My question is does the diesel exhaust create an issue on the front right corner of the RV. I bought the dually used from a close friend and know all it's history. It is 2008 F350 with 60,000 mile and is in like new condition. I am confident of it's ability to handle the new Lifestyle with a GVWR of 16,500 lbs.

The RV will have full body paint. The reason I ask is that my buddy has told me that his 5er (which is not full body paint and is white) shows some slight staining from the diesel exhaust. The place where any exhaust would hit the new Lifestyle will be a very dark color. I plan to keep wax on that area and will wipe the small area down after a days travel. I am hopeful this will minimize any effect from the exhaust. Do any of you have experience with this and if so how have you handled it. The Lifestyle should have a beautiful finish on it and I hope I can keep it that way. We will not do a lot of travel but probably will put 2000 to 2500 miles per year on it. My friend said that he did not realize the condition was happening or he thinks he could have handled the issue with a little preventative maintenance.

Thanks for any advice.

gregk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2014, 09:04 AM   #2

As long as no one tinkered with the emission systems, you'll not see any black soot exhaust from the F350.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:43 AM   #3

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Havent had a problem with my diesel TV's. Keep the maintenance current and you shouldn't have a black smoker.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:57 PM   #4

Evergreen Owners Club
I've seen a few truck owners that like to get as much black smoke as possible out the exhaust. If your buddy wasn't one of those guys, you shouldn't have any problems.
mo5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:05 PM   #5

Evergreen Owners Club
Gregk,
If you are anywhere close to Indiana, Lifestyle has a factory tour. We took it a few weeks ago and enjoyed it. The Lifestyle and Bay Hill are built on the same factory line.
mo5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:07 PM   #6

My last two Diesel trucks have not produced any stains, as other's have said if the engine is stock you will be fine.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:19 PM   #7

Mo5er,

I have ordered from Tiara RV there in Middlebury and will be picking up from there. We plan to take the factory tour. Thanks
Old 06-09-2014, 03:27 PM   #8

OK. Now this makes since. The F350 has a H.S. Black Max Tuner on it. That must be the contributor to the black smoke during a hard acceleration. It is not very heavy but must be enough to deposit some staining, especially on a white surface. The dually is extremely powerful and gets very good fuel mileage due to the tuner, but as I understand I am supposed to turn the tuner off when towing. It emits the same black smoke weather at the peak setting or the "Off" setting. I may look into returning the truck to stock form especially since it has been recommended that it be off during towing. Looks like I have some investigation to do.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:29 PM   #9

My truck is EFI Live tuned with modified exhaust, no cat and does not smoke except on extreme acceleration. I did add a longer 6" exhaust tip to push any soot out further...
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:15 PM   #10

If it were me, I would not return to stock. Your exhaust is gone, including the DPF and replaced with free flowing exhaust. That is GOOD. On stock tuning (just with the delete tune to fool the electronics) it shouldn't smoke. Might have some other things done to it?
Old 06-09-2014, 10:39 PM   #11

I have an '09 450 with tuner/DPF delete--it smokes on acceleration only. It does blacken the bumper/fender area of the truck, but nothing on the fiver lower front. You could consider a exhaust extension that discharges downward to deflect the smoke toward the ground. Other than that, watching the fiver lower front and cleaning it when/if you note a coating will keep it looking like new.
And--every so often, when you decide to floor it while towing, you won't be able to avoid the smoke. Part of the mods done, it happens. Costly to put it back to stock if you don't have the parts (not cheap, even with the parts) and you won't want the truck without the tuner...believe me.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:47 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
05 450 all stock. 5er is white. Added 3m behind the exhaust and it is clean as is the 5er.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:51 PM   #13

Black smoke is partially unburned fuel. After you either remove or turn off the tuner it will take several days of driving to clean out the exhaust system. After that you should see little black smoke. BTW, heavy black smoke also means reduced mileage.
Got a nephew who bombed hit old 5.9 CTD, it now has over 900HP and when he gets a heavy foot you cannot see his truck from behind him.. He also gets about 6 MPG.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:02 AM   #14

Wingnut60,

Do you tow with the tuner off? I talked to the folks at H&S Tuners yesterday and they confirmed that I should tow only with it in the off position. I have not left the tuner off long enough for the smoking to dissipate some.

Sounds like returning to stock will not be option due to the cost. It does not smoke during normal operation, only upon hard acceleration. I will only use the truck to tow with so it would have been a better situation for me if the turner was not on the truck but I have to admit that truck is extremely powerful with it on. I understand why people install these for normal operation after experiencing the improved performance not to mention the better mileage.

I will look into some other exhaust tips and keep wax on the 5er and wipe off the area after a day of towing.

Tags
diesel