Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-07-2014, 02:06 PM   #15
My SRW 13 f350 platinum is 3300 some payload, assume lesser trims are higher, as would be a dually.

SultanGris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2014, 03:26 PM   #16
There is no comparison between gas and diesel. I love my diesel truck. Set the cruise on 65 and I go 65 with minimal down shifting. maintenance cost more. a lot more. I may buy a gas truck again someday but that is only because I have access to any of the diesel trucks the farm owns anytime I want.

93 Jayco RK 325
07 Chevy classic crew cab long box LBZ Duramax
Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:47 PM   #17
I agree with jenandjon. If your pulling anything diesel is the only way to go. And again I stand by what I said earlier if you are going with a 3/4 ton you will regret in long run if u go with gas.
wwenstad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 07:58 PM   #18
Have you looked at the new 6.4 Hemi with 410 hp/430 ft lbs torque. One '08 6.7 Cummins owner just traded for one and has lots of praise for its towing power with the same 12k 5th wheel trailer.

I tow with a older 2500 '03 Dodge/Cummins 305/555 HO with the NV5600 6 speed manual tranny.
My payback for the 3400 dollar Cummins option came at around 43000 miles in '04.5 so with 255k on the odo and zero engine/tranny/clutch issues its been a winner for my use.

Pulling a 11200 lb + or - 5er will average 12 to 12.5 mpg pencil figures. Pulling a 16k GN triaxle stock trailer on runs out to 200-300 miles nets about 11-12 mpg. Pulling my 9480 gross car hauler with my blue tractor/FEL/bb or 7' mower nets in the 14-15 mpgs.

Running empty which we do a lot out here and long trips nets 21.5 -22 mpg on average over several tanks. These are averages and not just a best tank

Diesel fuel in my area can be same as gas or 40-45 cents higher most of the time.

Thats my story as others have a different brand of diesel engine/different fuel prices/different operating parameters/different truck and trailer weights/newer gen diesel/etc so will have a different story.

One size don't fit all when comparing diesel trucks.
'03 Dodge 2500 Cummins HO 3.73 NV5600 Jacobs
'98 3500 DRW 454 4x4 4.10 crew cab
'97 Park Avanue RK 28' 2 slides
JIMNLIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:38 PM   #19
I bought a used diesel truck about 5 years ago to tow our 5th wheel. So far we have traveled close to 30,000 miles with two different trailers and I wouldn't consider anything but diesel, our current 5th wheel is about 11K lbs as pulled. We've gone coast to coast and numerous trips to Colorado and many, many PNW trips, almost all in the mountains. I don't calc my fuel mileage any more but last check I was getting average 11.7 and sometimes up to 13.8 on flat straight runs. My truck is 10 years old, so it is prior to DPF and DEF etc. and I plan on keeping it until I or the truck are no longer able to travel. Yes, diesel costs a little more than E regular and repairs are higher but I do almost all maintenance on my truck and have added numerous improvement mods for cooler, more efficient operation. And the look on the kid's face in my rearview mirror who pulls up beside me in the right lane and attempts to beat my long bed crew cab to the "right lane ends ahead" merge.... well, it's priceless!!
2004.5 GMC SLT CCLB, Ride Rites, Turbo brake, EFI Live
2012 Arctic Fox 29 5T 5th Airborne, B&W, Prodigy
Papillon navigators Lily, Buddy and Willow
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 04:36 AM   #20
Even a hemi cant compare to a diesel. My 07 duramax has 360 hp 650 ft lbs torque. At least thats what it had when new. Little less hp then the hemi but way more torque. When you are towing you need torque.
93 Jayco RK 325
07 Chevy classic crew cab long box LBZ Duramax
Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:21 AM   #21
Bought a 08 Duramax 3500 LB DRW last year, WOW, the difference in towing is night and day. Towing an 07 Mobile Suites at 14k mt up 6 and 7 % grades at 55 mph 2k on the tach no problem passing gassers towing small campers and boats. I get 19+ highway, 15+ city, and 12 towing. Use it as my daily driver too and do my own maintenance, religiously. If your trailer is under 10k loaded I'd stay with a gasser, over 12k, diesel is a must. You will love it.
Appy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:59 AM   #22
Monaco Owners Club
Driving through mountains with a gasser
to me feels like I am killing the engine. With a diesel
I dont get that feeling. Am I to sensitive with
my feelings or is there truth to this I dont know.
2008 HR 340 Cummins, Vacationer XL
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:03 AM   #23
Thor Owners Club
Couldn't pull my 5er with a gas engine...... our new truck has so much more power than our old 06 F350.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 11:21 PM   #24
Thank you all there is a lot of good advice in here. Diesel it is going to be. Adventures to come.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
jkn1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:42 PM   #25
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
Driving through mountains with a gasser
to me feels like I am killing the engine. With a diesel
I dont get that feeling.
Am I to sensitive with
my feelings or is there truth to this I dont know.
I have to agree with that statement.

We're full-timing right now with a 7 yr old and a 12 yr old that eats almost constantly. Through in all the gear needed that 4 people require and we're easily right up to the limits of both the truck and RV.

I have a gasser V10, a Cummins 5.9 diesel and a 7.3 diesel PS. The difference isn't all that noticeable until you get into the hills our West, which is where most RVers want to visit. Without a doubt the diesel is just built to handle that load. The gasser is capable of doing it to but I'm never as comfortable as I am in the diesel. My 7.3 will pull our 35' FW BH though the mountains with ease. Managing the 6-8% grades takes planning though.

The Cummins is a far more preferable motor due to the torque of that engine but Fords ride better than Dodge... at least the older models anyway. That's why we tow with the Ford. The only reason I keep my gasser is that it's a shortbed truck and I need that to get my FW in my driveway. I'll probably sell it soon though since it's not used much.

We put $4,000 into engine upgrades to get the TQ and HP up to today's modern diesel standards. We didn't want to finance a truck and didn't have $50-80,000 laying around so it seemed more sensible to upgrade a low-mileage truck 7.3 instead.

If going new, however, I'd go with diesel also because the price between a gasser and diesel isn't all that much as a percentage of overall price. If you're financing anyway, may as well get everything you want. I just wouldn't want to own emissions-laden modern diesel out of warranty. So if you plan to keep it long, get an extended warranty.
cptgregger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 03:23 PM   #26

I do love my Diesel, 7.3 Powerstroke that is. I to have put a few dollars extra into my truck to get it to where I want it for towing our 11,500 LB. 5th. Wheel, I just don't have the 60 to 65K to buy a new F350. The 2015 Ford Powerstroke is putting out 440 HP with 860 ft.ilbs. of torque and that's stock. Wasn't to long ago that kind of power from a stock engine was unheard of. If it were me I would go with the F350 over the F250, the cost isn't that much. I have owned F250's and F350's the ride isn't that different between the two unless your super sensitive to that kind of thing.
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L, B&W Hitch, Reese 5th Airborne , Dual Pane Windows, TriMetric 2025RV. Honda EU2000i, All LED Lighting. Winfield Cross Brace Stabilizer. 2002 F350 7.3 Powerstroke, 6 Speed, 4X4 with lots of upgrades. USN Retired.
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:53 PM   #27
Have had a 94 , 06 and now a 14 (last one) . All Cummins . The new motors are much more sophisticated then my last two. But since adding def the motors run much less egr and get better fuel mileage. There is no way a gasser pulling the same load will get better mileage. I pull a 5er that is about 13000 lbs loaded and average about 11. Diesel is about a 5000 dollar option which considering the cost is not that much. Resale is much better also.
If you get one never put def in your fuel if you do by mistake, which has happened. Dont do anything, but call a wrecker and go get the tank drained
You should be able to by a nice diesel for around 55 and that is with quite a few options. Check out the Chevies and Rams also, they make some really nice trucks. Don't get stuck in the blue ovel rut. Lol
jacknife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:27 PM   #28
We went diesel only because we found a really good deal, a gasser would have met our current needs. We have never regretted it.
It is not the best as a daily commuter. Mileage is no better than a gasser and at the current price of fuel it gets spendy. Towing is a whole 'nuther story. Our current trailer grosses at 5600 lb, the 05 Cummins doesn't even break a sweat and we don't use a tank of fuel in a six or seven hour day. In four years I have replaced the a/c clutch, other than normal maintenance that is it. I won't consider gas now.

RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote