Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2014, 11:06 PM   #29

Original poster never stated his type of use or budget. I have a 94 f-350 with a 460, 4.11 stick, 4X4, flat deck with a 5r hitch. Used to pull a 12,000 gvw 5r just fine. Short distance week end trips would be ok. BUT it only get 6 mpg. My 92 cummins 3500 4.11 ratio, gets 12 mpg tow & 16 empty with some engine mods. My 2001 235hp cummins W/3.54 ratio gets 12 towing and 18-19 empty. Still lots of power for 12k trailer. The ford is only worth $1,000.00 because it is a gas hog. The 92 cummins flat bed is still worth 3,000 as a heavy work truck. I am never selling the 2001 because it is the last of the uncomplicated basic haulers.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2014, 01:20 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
Have had a 94 , 06 and now a 14 (last one) . All Cummins . The new motors are much more sophisticated then my last two. But since adding def the motors run much less egr and get better fuel mileage. There is no way a gasser pulling the same load will get better mileage. I pull a 5er that is about 13000 lbs loaded and average about 11. Diesel is about a 5000 dollar option which considering the cost is not that much. Resale is much better also.
If you get one never put def in your fuel if you do by mistake, which has happened. Dont do anything, but call a wrecker and go get the tank drained
You should be able to by a nice diesel for around 55 and that is with quite a few options. Check out the Chevies and Rams also, they make some really nice trucks. Don't get stuck in the blue ovel rut. Lol
Rut? 2011 and newer is no contest, blue oval by a mile! Lol
SultanGris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 05:48 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I bought a 2003 F250 7.3 diesel new, and finally got around to buying my first fifth wheel. I had to buy a lighter fifth wheel trailer than originally intended in order to not overwhelm my truck's Pin weight carrying capability.

I generally believe that if you're going to tow 10K or more, go with the diesel. If you're going to ever step up to a fifth wheel, go 1 ton. If you're towing a 9K or less trailer, you're okay to go 3/4 ton gas engine.

I especially like all of the 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks vs. 1/2 ton trucks. They're just built so well and they have the suspension and brakes to really do the job. 1/2 ton trucks are sprung like a Crown Victoria, and really don't have heavy weight carrying capabilities.
X2 I like my diesel-it pulls well, however their are some major problems with the newer models with the fuel pumps they are using. If the high pressure cp4 fuel pump fails it is a $15,000 repair since it blows metal through the fuel rails injectors etc. You might want to read up on it on the diesel forums.We are fulltimers. If I was pulling 10K or less I would go back to gas.I had a F250 with a V10 pulled a 32 foot 5ver and it was a good match for me. Good luck with your purchase.
sk734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:03 AM   #32

There are 2 types of people. Diesel people and gas people. I am a Chevy man through and through. I hate ford with a passion. Long story. Anyway given the choice between a Power stroke and Chevy gasser I would choose the diesel every time don't even have to think about it.

On another note. I was at the dodge dealer yesterday getting some warranty work done on our dodge cummins farm truck. I checked out the new 1500 eco diesel. That little 6 banger puts out more torque than the hemi. Not much more but more. They said it gets 6-8 mpg better mileage also. Pretty impressive I think.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:00 AM   #33

What engine is usingthat pump?
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:25 AM   #34

The half ton fords actually carry weight much better than Chevy or dodge. They are built to work and are much better for towing and hauling with stiffer suspension than Chevy or dodge 1/2s. When they start putting diesels in them they will be excellent for your lighter trailer needs. Chevy and dodge 1/2s are more geared for mall crawling. I'm pretty excited about checking out the dodge 1/2 ton diesel though. Sounds pretty neat, about time! Dodge interiors tech and quality looks to have improved significantly. Wouldn't have even considered a 2010 but the 2013s I looked at last year are a major improvement.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:32 AM   #35

Quote:
What engine is usingthat pump?
GM and Ford as well as VW use the CP.4. Ram uses the CP.3 which has IMO a better track record. Biggest issue is that Ford for some reason is worse at accepting blame for CP.4 failures compared to GM and VW. It's not all that hard to find stories about CP.4 failures when the 'water in fuel' message doesn't show up and the HPFP grenades, leaving the owner with a $10-15,000 repair bill.

GM has stepped up to the plate and covered these failures under warranty. Ford on the other hand seems more likely to deny it.

It's the main reason I went with the Cummins. It's still using the CP.3.

FWIW, there's way more satisfied owners than unsatisfied, so how much is blown out of proportion? For me I just thought as expensive as repairs are on diesels that if I could eliminate one possible failure then I'm a little more ahead.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:53 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanGris View Post
The half ton fords actually carry weight much better than Chevy or dodge. They are built to work and are much better for towing and hauling with stiffer suspension than Chevy or dodge 1/2s. When they start putting diesels in them they will be excellent for your lighter trailer needs. Chevy and dodge 1/2s are more geared for mall crawling. I'm pretty excited about checking out the dodge 1/2 ton diesel though. Sounds pretty neat, about time! Dodge interiors tech and quality looks to have improved significantly. Wouldn't have even considered a 2010 but the 2013s I looked at last year are a major improvement.

Until they catch on fire. Did they ever fix the transmission problem? My cousins truck is one that burned up on the side of the road due to faulty tranny.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	392779_10151368577053284_684328005_n.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	73720  
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:30 PM   #37

Lol, that was pretty rare, but ya they have a new trans in either 09 or 10. 6 speed, rated higher than Chevys for ability to handle torque without imploding. Works really good. My 2010 5.4 l was getting 17-18mpg highway at 70mph and the 5.4l with the 4 speed with overdrive are getting 15-16. I used it to tow my 8-9000 pound 5er and it did great. Thought I would need bags cause it was about 800 over payload but I didn't, still had plenty of suspension left. That won't happen with a Chevy or dodge. Throw an atv in the back of a Chevy and its nose points at the sky, lol! Planned long distance trips over the mountains so I got a 13 f350 6.7l and that thing doesn't even know it's towing that camper. I'd have to say Chevy or dodge diesel would be equally capable but I went for the platinum and ford is by far the nicest interior with dodge coming in second in my opinion. The 14 Chevy 1/2 ton redesign was a disappointment for me. Looking forward to a change but they didn't even catch the tech and styling of the 09 ford top offering. At least they finally improved some anyway! Long overdue.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:14 PM   #38

That may be your interior opinion but l think it may be biased toward what you bought .LOL All three have just about every amenity you could get it is just the different layouts. Ever since Fiat took over they poured millions of dollars into new production tools and the fit and finish is 2nd to none. The 06 l had doesn't even begin to compare in quality of finished product of today.l will be the first to admit they had a long way to go to get up with Chevy and Ford in that dept but l think they have done it. JMO.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:55 PM   #39

Quote:
That may be your interior opinion but l think it may be biased toward what you bought .LOL All three have just about every amenity you could get it is just the different layouts. Ever since Fiat took over they poured millions of dollars into new production tools and the fit and finish is 2nd to none. The 06 l had doesn't even begin to compare in quality of finished product of today.l will be the first to admit they had a long way to go to get up with Chevy and Ford in that dept but l think they have done it. JMO.
Oh I agree 100%, that's exactly what I was saying. I rate them higher than Chevy currently in that department but I think ford is still a little better as far as top top end every option goes but I don't think anyone would be disappointed with either one. I might be a little bias, maybe, but I've never heard anything bad about a ford platinum, lol
Old 09-14-2014, 11:00 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanGris View Post
Oh I agree 100%, that's exactly what I was saying. I rate them higher than Chevy currently in that department but I think ford is still a little better as far as top top end every option goes but I don't think anyone would be disappointed with either one. I might be a little bias, maybe, but I've never heard anything bad about a ford platinum, lol
Not sure if you have seen this. 2014 Ultimate Heavy-Duty Challenge: What We Hate - PickupTrucks.com NewsBut they rate the Ram over Fords outdated interior along with a better ride to the Fords outdated suspension.

Of course it's subjective. But it's hard to argue against the points they make about Ford.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 12:08 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Not sure if you have seen this. 2014 Ultimate Heavy-Duty Challenge: What We Hate - PickupTrucks.com NewsBut they rate the Ram over Fords outdated interior along with a better ride to the Fords outdated suspension.

Of course it's subjective. But it's hard to argue against the points they make about Ford.
I haven't seen it but i don't put much stock in those types of reviews, they always give the best to the guy with the new stuff even when it sucks and anything 2 years old is outdated even though its really not and actually the best or close to the best in the industry, lol! They gave it to the 14 Chevy too and it barely caught up to the 10 ford, not even joking. Go check one out then check out the 2010 ford top end model of both, the Ford has more tech and is much nicer and the ac seats are quiet, Chevys sound like airplanes taking off and the dash and screen looks mickey mouse in comparison, check em both then let me know what you think, never minding that the 14 fords are much better still.

Dodge does actually deserve it though, theyve come miles and they are very nice now. Never thought I'd see that happen anytime soon but they done good! I ain't hating on them but they still need to show mechanical reliability improvement for the long term, I just still give ford the edge personally, might be small but I think it still exists at the platinum and comparable dodge trim level. Perhaps just personal preference in styling taste but I would be happy with either if you gave me one free, you can keep the Chevy though, junk, lol!

Fords usually always do have a little stiffer ride people say but that's cause they are built to work and tow and haul more weight much better. Fair trade if you ask me cause I tow and haul a lot, they ride great I think and honestly I don't notice a difference except compared to a 2500 Chevy which is the worst ride I've ever experienced on a vehicle with suspension. If you're living in town and just going to the mall it don't much matter as even Toyota can handle that task but there is a reason ford dominates workforce fleets, it stands up to the challenge much better and lasts longer.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:57 PM   #42

Your answers have been very helpful. You people have given us a wealth of information. I am feeling much more confident as we get ready to embark on this journey. Thank you all.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
jkn1946 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel