Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2014, 11:17 AM   #43

Diesel vs Gas for Towing.

I unfortunately purchase my Ford F-250 6.0 before I got our 5th Wheel! We purchased a 2003 Travel Supreme 36rlso, 14000# empty loaded for Florida, 17230#s. I know The trailer is too much for the Ford, however, I use Caution when pulling and have airbags(which) help. Mileage: long trips not pulling, 20+ mpg. Pulling gross, 9.5 to 10 mpg. I purchased the truck used w/143000 miles, I now have 184000 and this yr. spent $2200.00 on the truck. The engine has been great, but expensive and worth it. Pulling thru the mountains up or down has been a piece of cake. I've been looking for F-450's but with the horror stories I've encountered, I've decided to stay with my 250 6.0. I know what I have. I'm not sure which rear end I have, but in the past, my dodge and ford gas 250's were 4.10. Suspension and front end are still tight. I don't use a drop of oil pulling at all. Diesel's are expensive to have, but for pulling, you can't beat them!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2014, 11:50 AM   #44

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

Old 09-25-2014, 07:11 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by railtim View Post
I unfortunately purchase my Ford F-250 6.0 before I got our 5th Wheel! We purchased a 2003 Travel Supreme 36rlso, 14000# empty loaded for Florida, 17230#s. I know The trailer is too much for the Ford, however, I use Caution when pulling and have airbags(which) help. Mileage: long trips not pulling, 20+ mpg. Pulling gross, 9.5 to 10 mpg. I purchased the truck used w/143000 miles, I now have 184000 and this yr. spent $2200.00 on the truck. The engine has been great, but expensive and worth it. Pulling thru the mountains up or down has been a piece of cake. I've been looking for F-450's but with the horror stories I've encountered, I've decided to stay with my 250 6.0. I know what I have. I'm not sure which rear end I have, but in the past, my dodge and ford gas 250's were 4.10. Suspension and front end are still tight. I don't use a drop of oil pulling at all. Diesel's are expensive to have, but for pulling, you can't beat them!
The best 6.0L power stroke guys in the USA are at Bill Hewitts Power Stroke shop in Buford Ga. Just north of ATL. If you haven't seen them just google "power stroke help" for some very informative you tubes. he will build you a 6.0 that he will warranty forever. Oh yeah, I pulled my Mobile Suites for a year with an F250 short bed. It wasn't that bad. main thing is to be sure that the rear wheel tires are rated for more than the true weight on the rear axle. The axle won't bend but over loaded tires with a little wear on them will absolutely blow out.
stanleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:52 PM   #46

Where do you folks come up with all this high maintence costs for a diesel? All over the road trks are diesel just because they are much more efficent at pulling loads and repair requirements are much less

Diesel engines are incredibly durable and if not abused or all hopped up,they will give years of great service with little more then oil and filter changes.
Shop labor prices are the same gas or diesel.You know they are gonna get you no matter what you go into the shop with. Lol
Old 09-26-2014, 12:36 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
Where do you folks come up with all this high maintence costs for a diesel? All over the road trks are diesel just because they are much more efficent at pulling loads and repair requirements are much less

Diesel engines are incredibly durable and if not abused or all hopped up,they will give years of great service with little more then oil and filter changes.
Shop labor prices are the same gas or diesel.You know they are gonna get you no matter what you go into the shop with. Lol
It costs like 30$ more for an oil change, so technically they are correct, bahaha!
Old 09-26-2014, 05:26 AM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Lack of experience with them, these are exactly the same things you heard 20 years ago over here in Europe, more than 50% of new cars sold here are diesel, I'd guess more than 90% for anything bigger.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:32 AM   #49

Quote:

You my friend have not owned a modern turbo diesel. They are very expensive to maintain and to repair. I blew a head gasket on my 6.4L. I had heavy duty head studs added and an EGR block off plus both head gaskets last year. Cost... $5400 American. Replacing a fuel system is north of $10,000. These are not your father's diesels. Fuel filters (change every 10,000 miles) are around $75.00. Diesel Kleen is a must for long lasting performance, $17 a gallon for each 250 gallons of fuel. I could go on all morning but you get the idea. I'm on my third Ford turbo diesel and they have gotten more complex and more expensive to own with each model. Much of it due to the EPA and our gutless congress.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:36 AM   #50

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
A diesel typically has more torque and horsepower and gets better fuel mileage than a gas engine when towing. Its your decision, figure out what you need and get it.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:53 AM   #51

Well friend l have owned and driven semis for 35 yrs and presently own a 2010
KW T 660 with a 485 lSX Cummins 15 liter I am very well versed in the moderen
diesels. Just had a second Egr replaced in this motor at 400, 000.
I agree the smog related stuff is a pain. But the engines themselves are solid . I can only attest to what my experience has been and that is has been mostly positive.
Repairs are expensive, most of the problems lie in the operator. I have read countless times of people just going up grades in cruise control that's fine running empty and pretty stupid pulling a trl.

Exhaust gas temps go thru the roof and they just shut them off, the turbo takes a dump and it's the manufactures fault! If you can't maintain speed pulling a grade at 3/4 pedal then let it drop gears until you can.
When people buy these expensive pickups they really need to educate themselves on how to drive them towing and care for them.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:47 PM   #52

I have a tuner for my 6.7 powerstroke and it shows the egts, empty it can get to 800 pretty easy even empty if you stomp it a little. I Pulled my 07 keystone cougar through the mountains with cruise set on 70 and it never got much over 1000 even from CA to Vegas up that 16 or so mile grade in march. It only weighs 9000 or so though. Oil got to 232 and coolant like 220 and the fan don't even kick in til then, lol!

Can't believe they don't have a stock egt temp Guage as easy as it gets so hot if it's that important and causes turbo failure. Someone told me they are water cooled, don't know if that helps. I let mine get under 400 before I kill it.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:36 PM   #53

Quote:
Well friend l have owned and driven semis for 35 yrs and presently own a 2010
KW T 660 with a 485 lSX Cummins 15 liter I am very well versed in the moderen
diesels. Just had a second Egr replaced in this motor at 400, 000.
I agree the smog related stuff is a pain. But the engines themselves are solid . I can only attest to what my experience has been and that is has been mostly positive.
Repairs are expensive, most of the problems lie in the operator. I have read countless times of people just going up grades in cruise control that's fine running empty and pretty stupid pulling a trl.

Exhaust gas temps go thru the roof and they just shut them off, the turbo takes a dump and it's the manufactures fault! If you can't maintain speed pulling a grade at 3/4 pedal then let it drop gears until you can.
When people buy these expensive pickups they really need to educate themselves on how to drive them towing and care for them.
Ouch ouch!!! did I hit a nerve? Sorry, didn't mean to. Your response said the same thing I did. Modern turbo diesels are very expensive to own and operate. That was my point and it seems you agree. Now, as to the operator errors I don't disagree with you. It's not wise to buy a diesel without learning how the systems work and how to maintain it.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:10 PM   #54
IC2

After a trip last fall, I went shopping for more power to replace the '06 F350 with V10. I guess that really wrong as the engine had plenty of power, it's just that to maintain 60-65 mph power though the hills that engine needed to crank up to over 4000 rpm and the transmission in something like 2nd or 3rd gear. That engine through the same general trip that we made this year would see 7.2 mpg and with a 33'/10K trailer. This year, diesel power (6.7) and a 38'/12K trailer, 14.3 mpg at never more then 1800 rpm. With the V10 gasser, great truck in most ways, was very tiring with the shifting, screaming rpm. Then there was the need to look for a gas station in what seemed like 10 minutes after just filling up, Cost of maintenance is higher with 13 quarts of oil and an expensive ($18) filter or two vs 7 quarts and a $4 buck filter. Then add in several gallons of DEF every few thousand miles - not cheap, but mpg and pulling power are there.

Now, I will NOT get into which is the best brand as at this point, it's a personal choice as to what suits each owner though I do favor Fords for myself
Old 09-27-2014, 10:51 PM   #55

Well good for you . I am happy that your new truck is working out for you
Old 09-28-2014, 03:08 PM   #56

You can remove the def problem and prolong engine/exhaust life for around $2500 of you aren't in a state requiring smog checks before you get tabs for plates. I added maybe 7-10 gal of def over 17k miles, around 10$-13$ for 2.5 gal I don't consider this a lifestyle alerting expense, but it is a PITA and I have the parts to remove mine, just need to install.

Tags
diesel