Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2014, 03:23 PM   #57

Most of the new trks the engine computer is supposes to back it off if the EGTs get too high. Since about 09 even the 18 wheelers do not have pyrometers any more Still would be nice to have.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2014, 07:18 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanGris View Post
You can remove the def problem and prolong engine/exhaust life for around $2500 of you aren't in a state requiring smog checks before you get tabs for plates. I added maybe 7-10 gal of def over 17k miles, around 10$-13$ for 2.5 gal I don't consider this a lifestyle alerting expense, but it is a PITA and I have the parts to remove mine, just need to install.

You sure can, I did that with my 6.4L. deleted the DPF/DOC, installed an Edge tuner then upgraded to an H&S mini tuner, blocked the EGR coolers. The truck ran like a beast. I loved it. Then I blew a Head Gasket. Cost to have it repaired right, $ 5400.00. And if you are not out of warranty the tuner voids it for anything important unless you're willing to commit fraud at a dealership. I voided the last year of mine and felt it was worth it.

I'm not saying don't do it, I would do it again under those circumstances. However, be careful. The 6.7 is a much better application of the DPF technology than my 08 was and I am committed to staying stock.

stanleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:54 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleyz View Post
You sure can, I did that with my 6.4L. deleted the DPF/DOC, installed an Edge tuner then upgraded to an H&S mini tuner, blocked the EGR coolers. The truck ran like a beast. I loved it. Then I blew a Head Gasket. Cost to have it repaired right, $ 5400.00. And if you are not out of warranty the tuner voids it for anything important unless you're willing to commit fraud at a dealership. I voided the last year of mine and felt it was worth it.

I'm not saying don't do it, I would do it again under those circumstances. However, be careful. The 6.7 is a much better application of the DPF technology than my 08 was and I am committed to staying stock.
From my understanding, most blown head gaskets are from running tuners above the stock setting. Installing ARP head studs probably would've saved you in the long run.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:28 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
From my understanding, most blown head gaskets are from running tuners above the stock setting. Installing ARP head studs probably would've saved you in the long run.
You are correct on both counts, sort of. I blew mine because I forgot what tune I was on and towed my 17,000 lb 5er over mount eagle TN. Never ever tow with a tune above stock. I knew that but just had a senior moment. As to head studs, yeah they would have saved me but would have cost almost as much as replacing the HGs. I've heard a couple stories to the contrary but studs are a cab off procedure on the 6.4L at most shops.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:30 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
Most of the new trks the engine computer is supposes to back it off if the EGTs get too high. Since about 09 even the 18 wheelers do not have pyrometers any more Still would be nice to have.
I have an edge insight that will watch a lot of stuff including 4 different EGTs.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:07 PM   #62

Quote:
You are correct on both counts, sort of. I blew mine because I forgot what tune I was on and towed my 17,000 lb 5er over mount eagle TN. Never ever tow with a tune above stock. I knew that but just had a senior moment. As to head studs, yeah they would have saved me but would have cost almost as much as replacing the HGs. I've heard a couple stories to the contrary but studs are a cab off procedure on the 6.4L at most shops.
Ouch. I hate senior moments
Old 10-10-2014, 08:31 PM   #63

Well we made a decision and I thank all of you for the lively conversation threads. We bought a F350 diesel 4x4 . We bought the 350 over the 250 because there was not much difference in price. My husband is one happy ford guy. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1412990316.548032.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	76258 And I feel good about it because of what we learned from all of you.
The house sold ( whole different story) and after living in the Pegasus for 2 1/2 months we bought a 2014 arctic fox 29.5t. It is compact, not too heavy and has a bathroom and bedroom that will work for us. I am giving notice at work Monday and we are on our way to the next adventure. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1412990725.618198.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	76259 I will definitely keep you all updated and I am sure there will be many more questions. Thank you all.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 10-10-2014, 10:16 PM   #64

Congratulations on your new trk and trl. I am sure it will provide you with many happy years of traveling
Old 10-10-2014, 10:40 PM   #65

Happy ending.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:50 PM   #66

Congratulations, I hope you both like FT'ing as much as my wife and I do. We started our adventure last May and couldn't be happier. We also bought a new F350, absolutely love it. It's our 2nd one, I love diesels, will have one as long as I can. We looked at the Artic Fox's and were very impressed with them, although we found an exceptionally clean 06 30 RSO Limited Excel and love it.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:16 PM   #67

I can't wait to get started on the road although there is value getting familiar with both the truck and 5er before we head out for the long trip. Good luck to you too.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 10-16-2014, 10:33 AM   #68

You will not be disappointed, I did the same thing. Was in search of a 250 and asked what the 350 price dif was and salesman said $600, I said gimme the 350, lol
Old 10-16-2014, 10:44 AM   #69

Quote:
Ouch, that sucks. I'm not too concerned, I monitor mine closely now though cause I did forget once and tow on a higher setting than I wanted to for about a half hour, but no long hills fortunately. I went to pass someone and was hrm, that didn't take as long as normal, doh! Still on street setting which mine goes stock, towing, street, and then the camaro eating "performance" highest setting, :-)

Also I have no issue committing fraud at a dealer if the need should arise, those crooks commit fraud every time they change my oil, haha! Pretty confident the ford is gonna be trouble free till long past the warranty stage anyway. I don't plan to set on performance and ride it hard constantly. Hopefully I don't forget again, lol
Old 10-18-2014, 03:52 PM   #70

Don't forget to get the smartphone app "gasbuddy". Diesel prices can vary greatly over just a few blocks distance. I've seen Diesel at $3.14, $3.39, $3.74 at the same time within a 4 block radius. Big diff when filling a 36 gal tank. These are Dallas prices, Oct.16.2014.

2016 Wildcat 295RSX - 2015 GMC 2500HD DblCab Duramax/Allison 4x4 Z71 6.6' Bed Maxxis 16"E; AirBags; MorRyde RPB Andersen UltimateII Curt 4"offset;GrndCntrl 3.0 4pt;6K# Dexters;CRE3K w/Wetbolts; Champ.3100 Invrtr;Furrion48 Cam;Dish Sat, 10' Portabote
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel