Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2005, 08:26 AM   #1

I have just become aware that in 2006 all over-the-air broadcast TV wil be come digital transmission. This will require a convertor or new type of TV/antenea arrangement. What will this do to my nearly new TV in my RV. and the portables that run on batteries that I use when on the road? Am I confused or is this something that the RV community needs to get involved with.

Comments?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2005, 08:26 AM   #2

I have just become aware that in 2006 all over-the-air broadcast TV wil be come digital transmission. This will require a convertor or new type of TV/antenea arrangement. What will this do to my nearly new TV in my RV. and the portables that run on batteries that I use when on the road? Am I confused or is this something that the RV community needs to get involved with.

Comments?

Old 08-04-2005, 02:07 PM   #3

If they actually go through with it (can you imagine the outcry if every TV in the country suddenly stopped working?), then you would need a new antenna element to receive the signal, and new tuners to select your channel. Or converters for each TV in use to convert the new signal to the old... Maybe its time to move to satellite TV

As I understand it, this is not just a change to the signal, but a change of frequencies as well (thus the need for a different antenna). The word is that all permits for transmitting on the old frequencies will terminate at that date.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:26 PM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Gosh! Sure hope I don't have to replace all my TV's next year.

I think there are 9 of them if I counted right.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:44 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I saw a discussion about this last week. The consensus is that there will have to be some method of keeping the older TV's operational, method to be determined later, most likely by use of a converter box.

Also, you don't need a different antenna to pick up the digital channels. I use the same one for both the analog and digital channels, just switch between the tuners. In our area all the local stations are transmitting in digital and analog, most have two or more channels of digital going, sometimes with different programming on each one. With HD the picture is unbelievable.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 03:24 PM   #6

I wouldn't worry about this happening by the deadline that was originally hoped for (2006)... it's been pushed further down the line, but the digital revolution IS happening as broadcasters are gearing up. All you need is A digital receiver that you can pick up at Wal-Mart (for $198 last time I checked). Spendy I know, and I'm sure less expensive ones are on the drawing boards. The one I purchased is a HDTV receiver which will also pick up high definition as well as just plain digital. This receiver was first connected up to my old attic uhf/vhf attic antenna, and brings in a very sharp and clean picture to my old 31" Quasar, but you can use an antenna as small as a Zenith "Silver Sensor", which can also be purchased at Wal-Mart for a ridiculous price of $28 ($5 value in my opinion) ... but I do have this one bolted to the top of my Winegard Antenna to accomodate the digital receiver which is now in my Trailer so I can pick up digital (where available) when camping. You send the receiver output to your trailer TV, or as I have done, to a TV Tuner card in my trailer computer, (which also serves as a DVD player, a VCR, a TV, and of course .... as a computer.) But ... eventually, I think the receivers will come down to less than $100.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:07 AM   #7

I don't know you Hitchhiker but it seems we have a lot in common. I don't really want to go purchasing conversion devices for my eight TV's Some are battery powered and are used away from any AC. Maybe we should voice our opinions beyond this forum. RVers/campers represent a very large voter group.

As for it not happening--don't worry. That is a sentiment that has been proven wrong around the world many, many times.

Larry
Old 08-08-2005, 08:37 AM   #8

No change in your antenae is required.
You will need an adapter for about $100. to pick up the digital signal . Your existing TV will work just fine with the adapter.

2001 Titanium 29RLEX CabOver 5th Wheel
CabOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 03:14 PM   #9

I'm glad to hear that no new antenna will be required, but I'm puzzled how that can be? Since the old frequencies are 'going away' and new frequencies being licensed, how can antennas tune to the old frequencies operate (effecively) at the new frequencies?
Old 08-10-2005, 11:04 AM   #10

A "tuned" antenna is much more significant when transmitting than when receiving.

Having the proper antenna for the appropriate frequencies does help reception, especially when the signal is weak. Those that are in the fringe areas of the digital TV signal may need to get a new antenna specifically set for the digital TV frequencies. Those with strong signals will get by just fine with their existing antenna.

Dave
Old 08-10-2005, 12:28 PM   #11

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
The digital TV frequencies are the same as the present UHF channels so your UHF ant. will work with no problem. The chanels that will be not be used by TV anymore are VHF chanels. These frequencies will be converted to emergency services and cell phone use.

Bill
Old 08-11-2005, 06:40 AM   #12

I wanted to clarify what I said earlier. Bill is absolutely correct, but as usual, there is more to the story.

A lot of VHF/UHF TV antennas are designed to operate best on VHF frequencies, with the UHF an afterthought. Of course this statement is generic, and depends on the brand and make of antenna. This wasn't a problem before since most of the "activity" is on the VHF channels, so that is what was designed for.

Those folks with VHF centric VHF/UHF antennas can receive UHF channels, just not as well as on VHF. And those that had separate antennas for VHF and UHF may find the UHF was not as well designed as the VHF. These are the folks that may need to upgrade their antenna to better receive the digital signals.

Of course there are a lot of other factors in receiving a radio/tv signal. The height of the antenna, orientation (if the antenna is directional), the type and quality of the feed line, obstructions to the antenna, and the list goes on. Whole volumes of books have been written about antenna design. And you will also find as many arguments about which is the best antenna as you will find which is the best: a motorhome or a fifth wheel!

Confused yet? Well, in my opinion the bottom line is: you will need to see for yourself whether a new antenna will be necessary or not. I would not replace an antenna without first finding out if it is needed. But if you are buying a new antenna, make sure it will work good on the UHF/Digital channels.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:25 PM   #13

With a digital signal, the picture should either be good and clear, or broken up and/or in and out like a satellite signal.
If the receiver is getting enough signal to correctly decode the information, the picture should be good. If not, it should be non existent or in and out like a satellite signal in the rain.
As with the current trnsmissions, those who live further from the broadcast antenna would need better antennas than those that live close. The difference being that snowy pictures with audio noise will not be a scenerio. Only good pics and audio, or none.

Bill & Joan
Bill R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 10:02 AM   #14

All the more reason to turn off the TV!

'04 Ford F350 Lariat PSD, Ext Cab, AFE Stage 2, Gauges, Edge with Monitor, Brushguard, chip & 4" SS Exhaust, Piaas x 4 '04 Hallmark Chuchara Camper I'm decking out slowly with 22" LCD TV, generator, 4 Marine Batteries...
Carlyle is offline   Reply With Quote