Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2012, 08:24 AM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Dining Table

We may not be the norm, but we do not use the dining table for eating. It turns into a catch all on every trip. We were thinking of removing the table and putting in a low pantry as there are windows on two sides. Maybe two or four pull out drawers. Has any one else done this or are we weird?
gasman28110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2012, 08:55 AM   #2

If the table is in the slide, then you want to watch the weight of anything you mount in it's place. Keep the table around for re-sale of unit.
Other than that , it's your unit, and like beauty, weird is in the eye of the be-holder.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:24 AM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
Got rid of sofa bed, booth dinette. Added 4drawer 2door unit. Placed relax chair either side . More real estate to move around.
LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:25 PM   #4

We didn't use our dining room table either... Wife wanted to take one of her weaving looms; out with dining room table, in with a loom. As mentioned above, just beware of weight when talking of putting cabinets with massive storage in the area if it is in a slide.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:25 PM   #5

Great idea! We try to eat dinner at the table as often as possible, that's not every night. This is our 3rd 5th wheel and we have a buffet built in behind the table. It's quite handy and gives us even more storage.
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:24 AM   #6

Our Mobile Suite has a cabinet with drawers and some lower cabinet doors. The table slides out of the top of the cabinet when needed. I like the idea and am glad DRV included it in this model. It holds our office materials, the maps and the "wall warts" for all the electronics.
Palpatine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:18 PM   #7

Out with sofa, in with a sewmachine cabinet and craft center for us. But the dining room table, yep its just you
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
"This may not be the norm...." Yes, it is. in fact.

The dining table is only cleared off and used for dining if you have guests don't you know.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayghost03 View Post
Out with sofa, in with a sewmachine cabinet and craft center for us. But the dining room table, yep its just you
I'd LOVE to see pics of this if you can... I've just moved into a 5th wheel, and am trying to figure out how/where I can still sew/craft ! Started reading this thread for the same reason as OP, I never eat at the table and its just gathering .. 'stuff'...

APace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:35 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Our table is a table with 4 chairs. No problem at all to store chairs and detach table from wall (held by magnet). We do use ours for eating, but, you have provided an idea to increase space if needed. Thanks!

JoAnn
ka7suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman28110 View Post
We may not be the norm, but we do not use the dining table for eating. It turns into a catch all on every trip. We were thinking of removing the table and putting in a low pantry as there are windows on two sides. Maybe two or four pull out drawers. Has any one else done this or are we weird?
Our table is also a catch all. Husband loves hanging his clothes on the chairs when he comes inside! I've asked him to take the table out to give us room to put our small desk in. We've already replaced the mattress & both recliners with the mattress and recliners from our home. Makes a big difference in our comfort. Just be sure to keep the table & chairs for when you sell the RV.
Mike n Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:39 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is what we did. I made this unit as a desk, table and storage option. Works for us.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RV desk 1.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	838.0 KB
ID:	28708

Name:	RV Desk 2.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	868.9 KB
ID:	28709

Name:	RV desk 3.jpg
Views:	623
Size:	846.9 KB
ID:	28710

Name:	RV desk 4.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	807.4 KB
ID:	28711

Name:	RV desk 5.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	781.0 KB
ID:	28712

Name:	RV desk 6.jpg
Views:	636
Size:	879.9 KB
ID:	28713

Name:	RV Desk.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	838.5 KB
ID:	28714
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #13

Way to go on the office//table/storage unit ! love seeing these ideas ~ mine is just a loose small table and chairs, so would be ridiculously easy to remove.

In fact, being the OCD weirdo that I am, I rearranged all the furniture in mine at one point, trying to figure out a space for my big tv, vs the small one in the built in entertainment center. Ended up putting all the furniture
back in its original spots, and just setting my TV on a low/small table in front of the entertainment center
APace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:26 PM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
"This may not be the norm...." Yes, it is. in fact.

The dining table is only cleared off and used for dining if you have guests don't you know.

I needed that laugh bad Wa8yxm. Thanks!