Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2017, 08:26 AM   #1

Directv

What equipment do you use? Is it a separate account or can you take a receiver from home.
Thanks Mike Keller
mike keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2017, 08:34 AM   #2

King Flex automatic, 2 D-12 receivers.....receivers stay in trailer......used to take one from home, but owning my wn was less mess'n around.....some folks feel a need for HAD, but my TV's both have a clear pic....have to pay $7 mor
e a month, over and above the home charge
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:03 AM   #3

Did you get the receivers from DIRECTV?
mike keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:31 AM   #4

I use the same D11 box in the RV and summer house. The RV has a King Quest, self aiming dome, and the house has a 18" dish on a pole.

I use a TrackVision M10 reciever and an " In-Motion " dome, on the boat.

All on one account with a service address for a house in South Jersey, that I sold a few years ago.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:24 AM   #5

Just got back.....I bought my receivers off E-bay for $20 a piece, but you need to make sure that they were owned, not leased.....could be an outstanding bill on a leased unit......most sellers I found stated in their add what is was.....no problems with either unit, but you'll need to contact Direct to activate......as I have Direct here at home, they look up your service package, then send you a card with that package on it.......the easy way is to take the box and card and plug in in the house where you have an existing box working, so you don't have to be worried about being locked on to the sat.....your house unit already is......then call them and they'll activate.....each box costs $7 a month, but to save the hassle, I leave 'em in trailer.....verses digg'n 'em out of entertainment centers.......and Direct will ask for a couple of number found on the box (receiver) to verify the status of the box.....and if a new card comes with box, just throw it away,as there's nothing on it....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:42 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
If you don't have DTV at your home yet. They will install the new receivers that all need a SWM antenna. You can take one receiver from home to put in the RV. But it will need a SWM antenna like a Wingard Trav'ler.

DTV Receivers and how they work
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 03:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike keller View Post
What equipment do you use? Is it a separate account or can you take a receiver from home.
Thanks Mike Keller
Hi Mike,
When I had DTV, I would simply take one of the receivers from the house. I had purchased a Winegard G2 carryout satellite from CW and everything worked fine! We no longer have DTV (switched to cable).

I now have a Winegard Pathway X2 and a Wally receiver and pay as I go for my 5er.
I would have stayed with DTV but they unfortunately do not offer the pay as you go plan,
Grafton Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 03:24 PM   #8

I have DTV at home and use the Winegard 2 portable antenna and have a DTV box installed in rig cost $7 additional per month also can use DTV app on smart device to access my home DVR to watch all the shows I have recorded and mirror it to my large TV
Dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 07:45 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I take our DVR from home, and setup a DTV antenna on a tripod.
Works great, and I have gotten good at finding and locking the sats.
Had to buy the SWM power inserter and another power supply so I could just plug and play.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:17 PM   #10

I have a Winegard carryout dish and pay $7 dollars extra a month for the D22 DVR receiver. I didn't want a receiver that needed a SMW adapter so we used an old receiver that we had after we upgraded. Works great and never have to tear the home TV apart at each camping trip.
schwabml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:49 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Tripod sat

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
I take our DVR from home, and setup a DTV antenna on a tripod.
Works great, and I have gotten good at finding and locking the sats.
Had to buy the SWM power inserter and another power supply so I could just plug and play.
Any tips you can offer for aiming in the SWM satellite?
NTXNEWBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 01:03 PM   #12

The Winegard aims itself, sort of. You have to know which direction the satellite is to ensure you have clear line of sight from the satellite to the dish. I find the directional degrees from DTV website with a zip code search and use the compass on my iPhone to find the right direction. The receiver in the setup also asks for the zip code so it can talk with the dish to align it to pick up a signal. When ever I have issues I just revert back to the manual from Winegard to get back on track.
schwabml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 01:42 PM   #13

I had a dish on a tripod. Could get it setup in 15 minutes or so for HD. Now we have the Traveler on the roof. Was about a 2 hour install. We get HD with the push of a button now. We take the Genie receivers from home. The main box goes in the living room and the others go in the two bedrooms and one for the outside TV. Works pretty good, but it does suck having to move receivers from place to place.
head gamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:47 AM   #14

We have DirecTV at home. We take our DVR and another tuner and put them in the RV when we travel. We have a Traveler dish on the roof and also carry another SWM dish and tripod for times when trees prevent use of the roof top unit.

A call to DTV gets us the local stations in a few minutes.

Happy trails,

Tags
directv