RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2018, 01:05 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
You are 100% correct for a torsion axle. !00% incorrect on a leaf spring axle which our 5er and probably 90+ percent of all towable RVs are equipped with and pretty well explained in my post. There are NO 'rubber' parts in a sprung axle assembly unless you have a Morryde, Dexter or similar equalizer.
I was speaking specifically to the suspension Clark is dealing with at the moment.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2019, 09:07 PM   #72

Back on Subject the brakes are being installed today !!

spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:51 PM   #73

My Alko type haven't sagged and I've got a fair amount of miles and time of usage....
Old 01-11-2019, 11:00 PM   #74

Greetings
I have done this conversion using Dexter #12 Torflex disc brake axles. Dexter does have a program they can run to give you all the required info that you need to accurately determine ride height. This program is called Pro Spec. Originally I was directed to a salesman from Dexter who initially was quite enthusiastic about my project. I sent him detailed specs several times and each time he fouled something up and I had to resubmit the details, he finally got tired of my persistence and just stopped responding to me. That's when I found Dexter Parts. I purchased my axles from Dexter Parts Online and my contact there is Justin. He was able to contact someone at Dexter who ran my numbers and provided an email print out of all the info I needed. My finished ride height was within 1/4'' of desired dimension. The brakes are awesome and the tracking and tow manners are a dramatic improvement.
I have a website with my project photos and would be happy to provide the address on request. For the record...I'm not selling anything, it's just a blog of my work. There are no adds.
I hope you get what you are searching for.
Darrel
lunge motors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:14 AM   #75

Finally got the Fifth wheel back and when the brakes work they are amazing ! Problem is I wanted to try to keep the OEM brake controller as it seemed like it was going to work. Reality is it will work at maximum braking up to a gain setting of 3.0 any thing higher and it kicks off with a service trailer brake system message and won't reset until the truck is turned off and restarted. I spoke to a couple of people and through a highly technical explanation about flux capacitance and such it isn't going to work so I will install the Prodigy P3 controller I already purchased and report back again. Sadly the only way to wire the aftermarket controller on a GM with the integrated installed is to run a new blue wire from the new unit to the 7 way plug :( At least I can use the power wires from the built in one. Even at a gain setting of 3.0 the brakes work better than they did with the drums set on 10.0.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:07 AM   #76

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
I don't know why you are having an issue with your GM controller. I have a 2018 (same itbc you have in your 2017) and it works perfectly fine with the Dexter disc brakes and pump. GM trucks from at least 2015 and newer are compatible with disc trailer brake pumps.
Sounds like a faulty controller. The factory controller works better as it is tied in with the master cylinder pressure compared to inertia.
Check around on the forums including the Duramax owners forum for some solutions before you bypass your factory controller.
jdpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:59 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpm View Post
I don't know why you are having an issue with your GM controller. I have a 2018 (same itbc you have in your 2017) and it works perfectly fine with the Dexter disc brakes and pump. GM trucks from at least 2015 and newer are compatible with disc trailer brake pumps.
Sounds like a faulty controller. The factory controller works better as it is tied in with the master cylinder pressure compared to inertia.
Check around on the forums including the Duramax owners forum for some solutions before you bypass your factory controller.
I am going to have it serviced at the dealer so I will have them test it before moving forward Thanks ! I much prefer to use the factory controller if possible.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:57 AM   #78
IC2

On a Ford, you have a setting for electric over hydraulic brakes. I would check to see if that GM product has the same optional setting on the dash display. Also, and depending on the brand of the RVs actuator, you may need an 'adapter' to use the OEM brake controller. The Tekonsha Prodigy is a good controller but usually isn't as good as what the manufacturer uses fpr proprtionally operated trailer brakes.

Good luck
Old 01-18-2019, 09:50 AM   #79

I spoke to the GM dealer, the installer, and Dexter in addition to a couple of other folks with the same year model and setup. The GM ITBC automatically detects the type of braking system from 2016 and up so it is compatible. It should work if wired correctly according to Dexter and the GM dealer says the ITBC should either work or not work. I had the installer explain how he wired it up and it matches the way the Dexter rep described it. My plan moving forward is to verify the wiring myself, have the ITBC checked when I get the truck serviced next week, then return the pump to Dexter for warranty. They said they would replace it if everything else checks out. I will keep you updated.
Old Yesterday, 07:21 AM   #80
IC2

2017 was the changeover year for IBC systems on GM products according to Carlisle Hydrastar (which I'm using). Could it be possible that your TV was an early one like my '11 Ford and a couple things got missed in the programming. I had 3 recalls early on to bring it to full 2011 up configuration.

Whichever way you need to go, good luck and keep us informed in case others have the same problems

Tags
brake