Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #1

Discs from Drums

As it stands now, I am going to change to disc brakes on my 5er next spring.
The questions:
1. Besides Mor ryde and Kodiak are there others?
2. Opinions on which is the better system?

I know the SIG does not show up on all mobile...
Ford 2011 F350, 2013 Voltage 3200

Thanks,
Bill

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2013, 10:35 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
If I am not mistaken, Dexter axle has a disk setup and I think conversion. Check out their web site or give them a call.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:58 AM   #3

Dexter makes disk brakes for RVs. They are far superior to Kodiaks, but cost more. This is one of those real examples where you get what you paid for. Dexter has dual caliper (four pistons) meaning the pads are squeezed from both sides, Kodiak has a single caliper. Dexters was designed from the beginning for use in heavy RVs (on 8K axles). Kodiaks started as GM one ton pickup brakes adapted for use in RVs. Dexters are bullet proof, Kodiak had all kinds of troubles burning up bearings on heavy RVs. As a result I know of one (and maybe two) RV manufacturers of heavy RVs who tossed them out as "standard" disk brakes offerings on their rigs (and switched to Dexters). If you look at Kodiaks website (carefully) you'll find this tiny lettered (lawyerly) "disclaimer" telling you that you have to up the bearing ratings (use the next size up) in certain application.
If you use Kodiaks with air over hydraulic actuator (like BluDot braking system) they will blow their seals, they can't take the full 1,500 psi brake fluid pressure. You have to install an air pressure limiter on the air side reducing the max air pressure to 85 psi.
Dexters are difficult to bleed upon initial installation, because of their dual calipers. You can't just bleed them once and think you are done you will still have air in the system, but once done properly they will stop the fifth and your truck.
On lighter trailers Kodiaks are fine, on heavier trailers I would recommend Dexters.

hjs
Old 09-12-2013, 08:59 PM   #4

Mor-Ryde offers both Dexter and Kodiak They are the only two systems I am aware of.

The price difference is notable but not terribly significant in the context of the overall investment in truck and trailer and contents and passengers.

I went with the Kodiak system simply because our travel is remote, as in to and from Alaska. I can find someone most anyplace to repair/replace the Kodiak. Not so easy with Dexter with proprietary parts. We now have about 20,000 miles on the trailer.

HJSDDS has a bit of a "thing" about Kodiaks, but he is hauling trailers that do not belong behind a pickup. I believe his last statement is accurate, and do not disagree with the balance of his post in the context of heavy trailers.

Net, Dexter has the better technology, Kodiak is adequate and serviceable until you get above, say, 16,000lbs on two axles.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:52 AM   #5

Thanks all. At Hershey show today, will be, at least I have more info.
I also run close to 16.5 when we are ATVing, dry camping.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:25 PM   #6

Well...... according to MorRyde at the show they only sell Kodiak in the system.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:42 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I have the dexter 4 piston calipers on my 7000# axles, and I wouldn't ever go back to drums. Also the brake pads are one of the easiest to change that I have run across. In my opinion, they are worth the extra money.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Jay View Post
................................. HJSDDS has a bit of a "thing" about Kodiaks, but he is hauling trailers that do not belong behind a pickup. I believe his last statement is accurate, and do not disagree with the balance of his post in the context of heavy trailers..............
Terry Jay, your statements are totally accurate, I do have a "thing" about Kodiaks.
We converted customer's fifth to disks brakes, it was a heavy trailer (Teton) and the customer made the decision to go with Kodiaks strictly because of the lower cost (he was aware of the quality difference, "but it's six wheels").
Short time afterwards we got a call that he is in the middle of nowhere and that the Kodiak failed. No it didn't just fail, it burned the damned spindle off the axle, which did all kinds of other damage.
Whatever "profit(?)" we made on that job went out the window buying and shipping another axle to the middle of nowhere and "sharing" the cost of repairs and replacing the bearings in the remaining 5 Kodiaks with the proper ones.
By that time I "educated myself" and discovered the "tiny lettered" lawyerly disclaimer which bearings should have been installed on that Teton and those axles.
By the way, the distributor who supplied the Kodiaks, "kicked in" some money towards that repair. He felt bad that he supplied "the wrong bearings", which really wasn't his fault. It's a huge chain and if Kodiak is peddling their wares through outfits like that, I would think they would have a decency to make them aware of the need for higher rated bearings in certain application where "standard bearing will not do".
One other curious fact, "those standard" bearings for those weight classes work just fine on Dexters and have been for years.

hjs
Old 09-14-2013, 11:18 PM   #9

We switched to Kodiak about 10 years ago and boy were they worth it. Wouldn't be without them. Hugs, Di

2015 1 ton auto single cab 2 wheel drive 3500 Ram Dually. Western Pearl Brown, 410 Aisin Trans, Pace Eds roll top cover. 1996/2015 3axle Carriage, BF Auto Level, TST Tire Pressure Monitoring System, Plug It Right Stabilizers.
Dutch & Diana Irrgang is offline   Reply With Quote