RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2018, 09:59 PM   #1

KZ RV Club
Dish network "pay as you go"

Does anyone have Dish network's automatic satellite finding dish and the "Wally"? They advertise their package as pay as you go but there seems to be a catch to everything. Some say it doesn't work well either. I am tired of the antenna's offerings.......old Mayberry etc.

3thumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2018, 10:09 PM   #2

You have to buy the equipment as you are not committing to a subscription where the equipment value can be recaptured. There is not a restriction to what equipment, receivers, dishes since you are buying them.

You pay for the time you use the plan. Very straight forward.

Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:26 PM   #3

I have two Wally’s and two satellite dishes on my motorhome. I have two satellite dishes on the roof of the motorhome so each Wally can be independent of the other. Originally I only had one satellite dish with two Wally’s and found that a problem when the second TV could only watch channels on the satellite the first TV was tuned to. Adding the second satellite dish on the roof for the back TV seems to have cured that problem I don’t seem to have any problem tuning in the satellites and I am somewhat amazed that even shooting through trees I get a very clear picture with no problem . One satellite receiver is a tailgater and the other one is a play maker. Like both but if I had it to do over I would probably put on two play makers.
I did have one bad Wally I had to return to camping world as that’s where I had purchased it but they exchanged it with no trouble
I really like the ability to turn off the service when I am at home
will stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:30 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have two Wally receivers. They work quite well. Traveler antenna on the roof.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I have two Wally receivers. They work quite well. Traveler antenna on the roof.

The Winegard Pathway X1 is a very good automatic portable dome that works with several Dish receivers including the Wally. Can be purchased as a package from several internet suppliers. The X1 has two outlets to support 2 receivers. Both receivers have to watch channels on the same satellite. I have had Dish Pay as You Go for over 8 years with no problems. Those you seem to have problems have probably got talked into a vacation rental suspension and not PAYG. Need to set up the account as a RV account with Dish outdoor
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:06 AM   #6

I have a Wally and Playmaker and they work fine. I'm a Dish subscriber at home and have had no issues with activating/deactivating the Wally with a phone call.

2017 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:20 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have been using Dish in our MH for a lot of years. We currently have a Traveler on the roof and two 211 receivers and one receiver has a hard drive so we can record programs. We own our own equipment and pay by the month for service on the road.

The traveler has three feed horns and we actually get HD in our MH. It also finds the satellites automatically. We can watch different programs on each receiver with no restrictions.

When we first started this adventure it was quite a task to call Dish to get the locals wherever we were. Often got someone in the Philippines who didn't speak very good English. Gradually this situation improved until now you can do it online yourself.

On the road we have all the channels we have at our home along with the locals for the area we are in.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmanjay View Post
The Winegard Pathway X1 is a very good automatic portable dome that works with several Dish receivers including the Wally. Can be purchased as a package from several internet suppliers. The X1 has two outlets to support 2 receivers. Both receivers have to watch channels on the same satellite. I have had Dish Pay as You Go for over 8 years with no problems. Those you seem to have problems have probably got talked into a vacation rental suspension and not PAYG. Need to set up the account as a RV account with Dish outdoor
Mine is a Pathway X2, I never heard of the X1
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 10:33 AM   #9

Been using a Pathway X2 for several years with a standard 211. The wally isn't much different other than some extra features. I have Dish at home and also have the MyDish app. With the app I can activate it without calling them. Last time I was on the phone activating it the Dish guy told me to get the app as it will take way less time.
I pay $7 a month and start and stop when I want.
I believe it's about $34 if you're not a current Dish subscriber. Still a bargin if you're full timing IMO.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:09 AM   #10

The X1 is the small dome that is now being marketed as a truck unit as it has an accessories that allow it to be mounted on the vehicle or removed for using on the ground. This is a smaller dome than the Playmaker
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:46 AM   #11

Would someone please tell me what is a "Wally" and a "Playmaker"?
RoadEyePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:58 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithnorv View Post
Wally is the satellite receiver https://www.mydish.com/support/receivers/wally

Playmaker is a portable satellite antenna DISH Playmaker Portable Satellite Dish
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:59 PM   #13

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithnorv View Post
Key 'dish wally playmaker' into a google search. All questions and more will be answered.
Old 06-22-2018, 01:14 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Dimes View Post
Key 'dish wally playmaker' into a google search. All questions and more will be answered.
Like this. LMGTFY

sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish