Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2016, 10:21 AM   #1

Distracting Others

I'm not sure if this fits into a public service announcement, or a rant, or simply just complaining. But here we go-

Is anyone else bothered when performing the crucial parts of the set up or tear down process (think spotting into place, hitching/un-hitching) their RV and a chatty neighbor comes along and starts talking to them? I find this to be incredibly rude due to the potential of missing a step when trying to be polite and carry on a conversation.

While I am interested in talking with new people at some point, this is not the time. Just yesterday when my wife and I were hooking up our fiver to the second trailer a lady came over and started talking to my wife who was backing the truck. Wifey asked her to please wait until we were done twice and this very nice lady would just not stop! Wifey even said the third time "please stop distracting me, we can chat after I get hooked up" and her response was "I'm not distracting anyone!"

So please, while I do appreciate that you would like to have a conversation with the new resident/someone leaving, wait until they are done.

Cheers!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1459696705.577611.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	123014

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2016, 10:33 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
In this case "ignorance is bliss". I just ignore them and go about my business as if they weren't even there hoping that they get the point and leave.

Usually after the third or so unanswered question or statement they usually just walk away or get run over by the rig.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Old 04-03-2016, 06:08 PM   #3

Jburg, I just went through this two days ago. I agree with you, there's a time and place for chit-chat, but NOT when I'm just off the road from traveling, and just want to get set up. Come talk to me when I've got an adult beverage in my hand, not when I'm trying to get set up. Just my opinion for what its worth.
Lanny1763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:15 PM   #4

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Very GOOD point and point well taken here as I have experienced this even from close friends. The other half and I have talked about this several times.
When this happens and its someone I don't know, I try to act as if I didn't hear. If its someone I know, I asked to let me get situated and we will talk later.
Its annoying - NO doubt.
jdpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 07:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny1763 View Post
Jburg, I just went through this two days ago. I agree with you, there's a time and place for chit-chat, but NOT when I'm just off the road from traveling, and just want to get set up. Come talk to me when I've got an adult beverage in my hand, not when I'm trying to get set up. Just my opinion for what its worth.
The adult beverage is probably the best advice you can give. I usually just ignore other people as well. There is plenty of time for chatter once we have settled down and set everything up.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:54 PM   #6

Very good point JBurg ! I'm glad to see you and your wife have a "procedure" to setup/breakdown.. I pull doubles for a living,, so I know about having a set way of doing things... If I get distracted, I start all over so I don't miss anything....
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:04 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I also have a set up and take down procedure.
I do not want to be interrupted on either of them.

If a chatty neighbor wants to talk I politely inform them
I would like to talk to them "AFTER" I finish.
If they become annoyed, I guess I really do not want to
talk to them anyway.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:10 PM   #8

You're absolutely correct, it's very distracting, and I'm easily annoyed by chatty folks.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:25 PM   #9

Talking

Procedure, procedure, procedure, don't mess with my procedure! There's a method to my madness and it takes more time if you distract me or "help". When my madness has been concluded I'm more than willing to listen to advice or engage in conversation.

In all seriousness; the last big west coast power outage a few years ago was caused by a distraction. A lineman was following a written switching procedure and was interrupted twice by radio calls. He then skipped a critical step resulting in a cascading outage putting parts of Arizona, California, and Mexico in the dark for hours.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:21 PM   #10

I'll agree with Lanny,,, once I sit down,, set up,, Please say Hello.. We can talk.....
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:55 AM   #11

Thanks for the input everyone. Wifey and I have decided we will go with the "ignorance is bliss route" in the future.

This particular occurrence was the first time ever that wifey didn't hear a signal on the radio. (And she does a very good job when it comes time to drive. Never an issue) She was backing the big trailer to get hooked up to the little guy and, as you can imagine, by the fourth "stop" that I requested with a trailer still moving I was basically getting out of a potential crush area and yelling "stop" into the radio. Which of course led to my beautiful wife thinking I was yelling at her, which has never happened in our short ten-year relationship. Besides the hurt feelings, no damage occurred and we carried on with life. From what she tells me this is when the polite requests to stop distracting her became more aggressive.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:15 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I agree.

Possibly a bit of a tangent but I used to occasionally ask the person if they would like another set of eyes/hands if it appeared to be a challenging backup spot or they seemed to be having difficulty. This just seemed to annoy most folks so now I leave everyone alone.
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:49 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFNM View Post
I agree.

Possibly a bit of a tangent but I used to occasionally ask the person if they would like another set of eyes/hands if it appeared to be a challenging backup spot or they seemed to be having difficulty. This just seemed to annoy most folks so now I leave everyone alone.

I certainly understand offering to help, and in the right scenario this is most appreciated, but still a complicated discussion.

In the above scenario this lady was simply just wanting to talk to my wife while she was operating the truck. And apparently she had an opinion about everything like how we should get a camera on the back of our fiver, the length of our rig going down the road, and some other things that weren't helpful to the task at hand.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
If I get distracted, I start all over so I don't miss anything....
monkey

BTW, IMO the only correct time to stick your nose into another RVer's business is when they are about to cause damage to their RV, campground equipment, a kid, a dog or another RV.
Mel
'96 Safari