Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2017, 09:22 AM   #1

DIY carpet replace

Hi, looking to replace original carpet in a 2007 Holiday Rambler 5er in the spring and am looking for advise. Current carpet is worn and getting ugly.
I see that the carpet was installed wall to wall at the factory and cabinets are placed down on top. I'm guessing I must cut the existing carpet around the cabinets and lay down new . I have 3 slides with carpet and that carpet is edge bound. . I searched for an installer but couldn't find one. A carpet store said they would edge bind a carpet if I brought them a piece cut to size.
Has anyone gone this route?

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2017, 11:33 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Not only the cabinets were laid on the carpet, but sometimes the flooring is installed before sidewalls go up, so you'd have to also cut at the wall to remove the carpet and install tack strips. Instead of having the carpet bound, could a metal strip be screwed down along the edges where the original carpet was bound? Also check how the slides move across the floor, thicker carpet might cause an issue.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:46 PM   #3

I replaced the carpet in my 96 jamboree Class C a few years back. It wasn't a horrible job and I was very happy with the results. What I did was got a carpet knife, can find them at Lowes, along with several blades. Mine was like BFLINN181 said where the side walls were over mine too. I cut around carefully as close to the edges as I could replacing blades often and used the old carpet as a template for the new. I did the rear bedroom and then the cab (where the original was glued at a few spots and very easy to get up). under the table and couch. I ended up with 4 pieces of carpet. After I put down a decent padding I used an air stapler hooked up to my compressor to put the new carpet down. I never used Tack strips, not necessary. My wife edge bound the carpet in the cab area and I'll have to ask how she did it..
gnirwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 04:08 PM   #4

Bob and Goerge, thanks , I think I can do it,how it comes out is another deal.
I went to a wall area and I think it's like you've said ,it was covered by the walls so it must be cut. I like the suggestion about using the old carpet as a template to cut the new one out. I have 2 slides in the living room where the existing carpet has grooves or hollow lines where the slide and main floor join. There is a gap I'm thinking about somehow reducing which would eliminate the void. When the slide comes in there is a plastic ramp that lifts the slide up and over the main floor carpet. I have to be careful not to use a thick carpet and under pad. I appreciate the suggestions, it'gives me some confidence. :>)

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:13 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Making Carpet Replacement Easier...

I'm a commercial flooring contractor. Ever think about using carpet tile? If you're in a mid/large metro area you should be able to find LOTS of carpet tile commercial dealers want to get rid of cheap. You can much more easily DIY and you'll use a releasable type of glue that allows for easy replacement if needed.

PS - Instead of using a metal edge, consider vinyl caps. Look at Johnsonite or Roppe commercial flooring products catalog for the many styles/colors available.

I would NEVER have residential carpet in my home or RV.
Arkie_ENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:35 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Hey Cliff, I replaced the carpet in our 94 Storm with a burber. Not a terrible job. Take your time and use the old carpet as a pattern. Use the longest side as a starting point and leave a little extra to trim. You can't make it grow! Good luck! Fun project.

Tags
carpet, replace, ace