Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-22-2013, 04:36 PM   #29
Looked at this thread mostly because In reading up on fifth wheels before driving most of the way across the country to pick up a truck and trailer combo, I wanted to know what I was in for ride wise. I found many threads about chucking and was concerned that I was gona need to invest some money to get things smooth. The truck is a 95 F350 DRW Long bed with air bags mounted in a way I've never seen. They are mounted on an arm that pivots out by the bumper with the bag supporting the rear of the leaf pack. The hitch is a fixed type. Well after driving back to ca from ohio via the gulf of mexico I can say I never had any chucking! Oh and I'm pulling a 35ft 5'er weighing in at around 14,000lbs. I am a welder and fabricator and have installed many fifth wheel hitches and gota agree with some that the devil is in the mounting position and proper suspended weight.

mtnmikev is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2013, 06:33 PM   #30
Hello all,

Thank you all for the input. I wanted to provide an update. I installed Firestone airbags and they have helped considerably. Previously, the trailer weight put the truck on the overloads, just barely. Part of the roughness in the ride was the truck bouncing against the overloads. With the airbags, I am able to set the truck anywhere I want so I have it adjusted far enough away from the overloads that we rarely engage them. The air springs also help to minimize the discomfort generated by the chucking. The trailer is still bouncing around however. It constantly rocks back and forth. The Moryde pin box is taking up some of it as I can see the track marks on the slider plate. One issue is that the wheel and tire combo are incorrect for this trailer and limit the suspension travel. The trailer is bottoming on the tops of the tire treads and if that isn't the cause of the rocking, it certainly isn't helping. I have purchased correct wheels and tires and will mount them tomorrow and give it a try. I suspect that it will help eliminate some of the rocking. I have experimented with weight bias via adjusting holding tank volumes. all 3 tanks are forward of the axles so I can easily add or subtract over 1,000 pounds at the front of the trailer. These adjustments have not made a perceptible difference. If I still need improvement after the tires then I will try the Hensley "Trailer Saver" air ride hitch. That looks like it will make a difference. I have read remarks from several people with this hitch and they all say that it stopped the rocking and the trailer just seems to float along on a horizontal plane, gently bobbing. This would be nice.

Stay tuned...

BriaLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:34 PM   #31
My truck did it with bags with my last fiver but not with current one.
2008 Tundra DC, 5.7L, Airlift 5000 Airbags
2013 Rockwood 8282WS
Signature Untralight Diamond Package
davendeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #32
I suspect the the distance from the trailer axles to the kingpin might influence the rocking. I have watched some 5vers on the freeway rocking and others not.
BriaLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:47 AM   #33
I've read through this and a couple other threads in regard to "3/4 ton" pickups, especially, sagging to the overloads. I just traded up a few years from an F350 CC short bed V10 to an F250 CC long bed diesel for several reasons, but primarily for the extra pulling power in the mountains. That old F350 only dropped about 1.5" at the bumper, never ever seeing the overloads, this one drops to the overloads, or about 2.5". The lack of suspension capability in newer trucks has made me wonder wotinhel the so called engineers were thinking. But with that said,our 5er has an approximate 2200 pin weight plus five or so gallons of potable water and whatever we have in the bedroom so let's make it 24-2500 pounds. That puts the Super Duty about 600 pounds over capacity. That will not put the truck anywhere near the 6100 pound rear axle rating even calculating the weight of the truck. I'm in the middle of installing air bags which will of course allow the rear springs to come off of the overloads and be 'good enough' for now. I do want to actually re-rate this truck. With the Ford 5er option, a Companion hitch, there is no sway and only a very occasional chucking. I can buy additional 900+ or 1200+ pound spring leaves plus the required u-bolts fairly reasonably and long term do feel that this will be the best way to go plus keep the Ride-Rite air bags just for added stability if necessary. Any comment on that as a plan? I don't see me going out looking for an F350 or F450 dually though it would sure be nice, but my treasure ships all sink before docking
Dave W along with my DW, Susan and our poodlepups, Callie & Molly,2011 Ford F250 6.7 CCLB, 5er Hitch Option w/B&W Hitch,,Ride Rite air bags, 2014 Montana High Country 343RL (38')
IC2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:45 AM   #34
I will put this thought out there ,what I do when its time to consider trying to improve 'stuff' like a truck and trailer combo ,ask myself is it removeable /transferable to the next trailer or truck?
If it stays with the vehicle its 'burnt' money ,if it can be reused on the next truck/trailer...not so much.
So even it it cost a lot more if it can go on all the rest of your trucks, find the money and do it right........ once.

2005 volvo 670 12 speed auto shift
singled, hensley trailer saver smart car "on deck"
Newmar 34 rsks Torrey Pine
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote