Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2015, 10:54 PM   #15

One AC works for us, the RV is white.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2015, 10:59 PM   #16

We stay at Havasu Springs and it gets up to 111 during the day. I left our air cams on auto cool while boating, using the thermostat. When we got back at two p.m. it was 92 inside the r.v. The next day I put the air cams on high cool. When we got back at the same time the interior was at 81! Much better, lesson learned.

Old 06-19-2015, 05:58 AM   #17

Most RV's are cheaply insulated and are really junky at keeping cool in summer and warm in winter. I am in a campground in hot (liw/mid 90's with high humidity). The camp ground only has 30amp service but is very convenient for activities planned. On one 15,000 btu A/C unit we are on edge of being comfortable. We talked about moving to a less convenient 50amp campground but decided to stay here.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:34 AM   #18

We have camped out west with our 318SAB Cougar (traded in for a new Cedar Creek 34RL) and in the deep south during the summer months. We could never keep it comfortable during the day time. We did install vent cushions in all vents three, place a cover over the skylight in bathroom and a solar cover on the window of the door. We also ran fans to help air move in the unit. So we ended up purchasing a (I hope) better quality built unit with two A/C both ducted together and celling return vents for the A/C.

There is also a celling fan to help move the air around and the entrance door does not have the window in it, only a peep hole to see through. The unit also has solar shades and night shads with extra dark tinted windows so this should help also. We will find out how this is this summer as we use the trailer in the mid-west camping with high humidity.

Jim
Old 06-19-2015, 09:58 AM   #19

If full-timing, I would definitely add another AC. While you may rarely need both, we had a fan motor go out once and it sure was nice having a working unit left to use until the other was repaired. Plus it is nice to be able to choose which one to use depending on need and noise.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:04 AM   #20

I have an older 34' southwind (1988), and while it has 2 air conditioners, it is only a 30 amp service unit, so while on shore power, I can only use one air conditioner at a time.

When parked in the sun, that one unit is not enough. I have, from time to time, unplugged the shore power and used the generator, so that I can fire up both air conditioners at the same time. Then it cools right down.

This is most important when in the sun. If shady or not so hot, one can be reasonable. Still, I am glad I have two when I need them.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 12:01 AM   #21

During the day we close off the bedroom, close the bedroom vents, and close the bathroom door and bathroom vents. And don't open them back up till it cools down. It helps keep the living room tolerable.
2014 Grand Design Solitude, 369RL, #107
2016 Chevy 3500HD, SRW, Diesel/Allison
Gsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 04:42 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I have an older 34' southwind (1988), and while it has 2 air conditioners, it is only a 30 amp service unit, so while on shore power, I can only use one air conditioner at a time.

When parked in the sun, that one unit is not enough. I have, from time to time, unplugged the shore power and used the generator, so that I can fire up both air conditioners at the same time. Then it cools right down.

This is most important when in the sun. If shady or not so hot, one can be reasonable. Still, I am glad I have two when I need them.
I was able to run both AC's on 30A. I turned everything to propane.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:13 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsport View Post
During the day we close off the bedroom, close the bedroom vents, and close the bathroom door and bathroom vents. And don't open them back up till it cools down. It helps keep the living room tolerable.
That's what we did with our 28' TT. The one unit was able to keep us comfortable into the 90s. After the sun went down we opened them up again. In the heat of day we also pulled down the shades and closed the curtains. It made it a little dark but it sure helped. Our NorthTrail TT is white.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:46 AM   #24

Thor Owners Club
We have a fantastic fan in the bedroom which I turn on pulling hot air out while the a/c is blowing cooler air into the rig. Seems to work for us.
Old 06-21-2015, 03:10 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
We have a fantastic fan in the bedroom which I turn on pulling hot air out while the a/c is blowing cooler air into the rig. Seems to work for us.
Not sure that is the way to go since you are pulling in hot air that needs to be cooled.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:28 PM   #26

95 humid degrees today in Va. One 15,000 btu A/C unit and it is keeping us comfortable. It is not that 115 degree low humidity in Arizona. Not sure why anything with wheels is stuck in Arizona in the summer.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:51 PM   #27

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Does the 301 in your model mean 30'1" (Mine includes a 377 which does).

If so one 13.5 ain't doing to do it in AZ this summer or for several to come.

15K won't either

I have one of each and well.. 80-82 depending on where I park the thermometer and Im in S.E. GA (94 out, full sun 111 real feal as I type per in-accuweather).
Old 06-21-2015, 05:23 PM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Not sure that is the way to go since you are pulling in hot air that needs to be cooled.
Your thinking the wrong way. The fan is pulling the hot air out of the room. I guess the fan is blowing in reverse. That draws or circulates the cooler air from the living room.