Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2015, 11:12 PM   #29

I'm in Florida now and recently added a second unit in the bedroom. Without it on, the Temps start creeping up around 11am and like you, I can't keep it down. With the bedroom on and a fan in the doorway circulating, it's no problem. The new Atwood 13.5 blows cooler air than the 15K dometic. The dometic works enough so I haven't fixed it.

lincoln20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2015, 07:51 AM   #30

If you do not mind me asking how much $$$ to have an Atwood A/C unit added?

Old 06-22-2015, 10:11 PM   #31

About $1200 if prewired installed, not sure if it was attwood brand tho.

The only RV we ever owned that was well cooled here in Florida was our Lance 815 slide in. I had a 15000 installed and in that 36 square foot camper with an aluminum roof you could hang meat if you needed to. God bless if your foot slipped out from under the covers you would wake up with the dang thing numb. Chilliest RV in the campground for sure-I literally could drink beer I left on the dinette table all day and it would be tolerably cold to drink. In our current 41 foot fiver two 15000 units are good-but the kids start opening doors and it can get dicey.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:50 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
If you do not mind me asking how much $$$ to have an Atwood A/C unit added?
I think the Atwood was $675 or so online and the local shop charges $85/hr. I think they charged 2 if I remember correctly. Is pretty straight forward if you're wanting to do it, especially mine as it was prewired for a 2nd unit and I had a fan in the ceiling anyway so they used the existing cut out.
lincoln20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 11:59 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUReady2Go View Post

Any suggestions on ways to help the refrigerator do it's job in extreme temps?

How many of you have added a second A/C unit? Did you do a second roof mount, find a small window unit to use when needed, or do you use a portable A/C unit and just drain it in a sink or the shower?
I find that portable AC unit a very viable option if you need relief fast. For your windows, esp. on the south and west side, there is "Reflectix", available at HD or Lowes, it can help blocking the direct sun. We have some panels cut to exactly fit the windows. If you have a skylight in the bathroom you want to try and block that off too. And as others have said, try to park the rv so that the fridge is on the north side or shaded somehow, if at all possible. Also, try to avoid cooking with gas and limit the use of your oven, gas or electric.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:16 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUReady2Go View Post
This week is our first week staying in our new Cougar 301SAB 5th wheel. We're learning so many things. Luckily, so far, all systems are working properly. However, we have only one 13,500 BTU roof-mount A/C unit and are finding it difficult to stay cool in the 110 degree Arizona heat. The A/C unit just cannot keep the RV cool during the heat of the day.

Overnight it actually gets rather nippy in the RV with the A/C set on 75. It's nice enough in the morning until about 11:00 a.m. and then it starts slowly heating up in there. Today it got up to 90 degrees inside by noon with the A/C running full blast on a setting of 70 and two stand fans running to help circulate the air in the rig. Then again, in the evening time, about 7ish the A/C is finally able to cool it down to a comfortable temp inside.

I walked in one day last month (while the RV was in storage with no A/C running) and the inside temp was 110 degrees!! This was actually before it even got hot here in AZ. Summer is just beginning here.

This also seems to greatly affect how well the refrigerator cools, or so it seems. When the inside RV temp is comfortable the fridge works well; but, when it reaches those 90s inside, the fridge struggles. The freezer seems to be less affected. We currently have the fridge on its max cool setting but it took well over 24 hours for it to reach a temp of 40 degrees once we first hooked up to electricity.

Luckily, we live in the same park that we are doing our trial week in. We live in the manufactured home part of the park and we have rented an RV space in the RV section of the same park, to do a trial week in the RV to see how all the systems work and get a feel for what it may be like to eventually live in it fulltime, once we sell our house. So, we have the convenience of our nicely cooled home (thank you central air) to go to during those periods of the day that it's just too uncomfortable to stay in the RV.

We have quickly learned that it's going to need a second A/C unit installed, that's for sure!! Our RV is 34' long. Does anyone get by with just one A/C unit in extreme temps? If not, what do you do to compensate?

We see many other 5th wheels and some motorhomes in the park that also have only 1 A/C unit on top and we know the people are living in them either fulltime, or as long as they are parked here in the RV park. They too are enduring the same 100+ temps outside. I haven't seen anybody lounging outside in the heat to inquire, but, I really wonder what the temp is inside their rigs!

Any suggestions on ways to help the refrigerator do it's job in extreme temps?

How many of you have added a second A/C unit? Did you do a second roof mount, find a small window unit to use when needed, or do you use a portable A/C unit and just drain it in a sink or the shower?
We're fulltimers in a 2000 (35-foot) Damon Challenger class A. Our coach has two factory-installed ACs, and the original owner had a third one installed. We just went through Arizona a few days ago on our northwestward trek to Oregon. We found Flagstaff to be very pleasant and Kingman to be miserable. We're from Houston where summer heat is legend, but it rarely reaches western Arizona's 115. Folks say, "It's not so bad. It's a dry heat." 115 is 115 whether it's dry or not, and I don't tolerate the heat well. The two factory ACs kept us comfortable, but using only one was not an option!
Old 07-05-2015, 02:52 PM   #35

We have learned "for us" one AC is not enough out west... We have stayed in AZ in the summer due to visiting family,,,, NO WAY the one 13.5K AC would keep our 28' class A decent... We will be upgrading soon to a 5th wheel or TT,,, No doubt a 50 amp service with 2 AC's is a must,,, ifwe go back to AZ or not....
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 03:59 PM   #36

My Montana came with 1 a/c, and that wasn't even close for any kind of wx over 70 degrees. Had a second 15,000 btu installed and it worked a lot better. Our Landmark came with 3 15,500 btu a/c's, and I can say they all have been in use trying to cool this 43 ft trailer in the heat wave that we have been in for the last 2 weeks out in eastern oregon,Idaho and Montana. Some people don't need much, but this fat boy and his dog do. Comfort is different from person to person. Glad I have 3. And yes, they can and do all run at the same time if needed .
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:01 AM   #37

You can never have too many air conditioners! My 35 foot Fuzion has two, one ducted in the front bedroom and the other in the garage. They do a nice job but I'll have three in my next toy hauler if it's over 37 feet.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:52 PM   #38

I must say that 3 of em works for me. There all ducted, and distribute the Coolness pretty good. When we drive all day and then set up camp that 43 ft box can get pretty darn warm. 3 cools it down faster than 2 , that's for sure. I know some people only need 1, but that ain't me.
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:33 PM   #39

We have an 2003 Alfa Sun 5th wheel with basement heating and air. The bedroom does not cool off as good as the main living area. We have been thinking about putting a low profile roof unit in the ceiling vent/looks like a sky light/also looks like the vent in the bathroom. We are hoping there is already some type of wiring available up there to be able to do this ourselves.
We went to Hatteras for 9 days and the AC was not too bad as long as we put a fan pointing from the main living space into the bedroom.
We were wondering if anyone else had an Alpha with the basement AC?
Old 07-16-2015, 06:41 AM   #40

Do you stay cool with only 1 A/C unit?

We will be in Orlando next week with my 36' 5th wheel. I have never needed 2 a/c units but next week will decide whether I will be adding another or not.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:13 AM   #41

2 ACs are a must for us. Just camped in an AZ campground last weekend. Temps were between 102 and 105. The coach stayed between 79 and 81 with 2 ACs and a large fan. The next site over had a similar trailer with one AC and they were miserable
Old 07-16-2015, 03:02 PM   #42

It is always nice to have the second air. Our first fifth wheel was a 26 foot Cougar with one a/c and the bedroom not braced or pre-wired for a/c. It also only came with a 13.5 unit which was not ducted.

We were always warm and uncomfortable.

Our current unit is a 40 foot Open Range Residential and we are currently in Florida. We only run the main air (15k Dometic, ducted) during the day and the bedroom air (13.5k Dometic, ducted) at night.

The unit is comfortable in the South Florida sun with one unit running. I think you are on the right track with the black-out shades. Even with dual-pane windows, there is a tremendous amount of glass in today's coaches. The more sunlight you can keep out, the less thermal activity occurs in the coach.

If your husband is handy, he may be able to do the a/c install himself. The hardest part of the install is getting the unit up on the roof of the coach. Remember, you'll need the interior trim kit too. (Usually sold separately.) Things to consider though...while most bedroom vents are braced and wired for air, they do not have t-stat wiring installed. Most single-air t-stats are single zone. So you will have to look at modifying your existing living room a/c to install it in the bedroom. (local control panel)

There are three wires that connect the t-stat to the a/c unit. But it can be a pain in the pitoot to try and snake the wires through the wall. This is why the dealers get big bucks for a/c upgrades. Also, if the main air is ducted, in all likelihood the bedroom air won't be.

The other option would be to leave the 13.5k unit in the main part of the coach and install either another 13.5k or 15k in the bedroom. You'd then have to run both units.

Lastly, remember these units are only designed to cool a coach to a point 20 degrees lower than the outside air temperature. If you're sitting in 100 degree heat, the best you can expect is an inside temp of 80. And setting the T-stat to it's lowest setting WILL NOT make the coach cool faster.

Good luck. It's better to have the capacity to stay cool than be miserable on vacation.