Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #43
Senior Member
 
kayo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Livingston, Texas
Posts: 156
Amazon.com. It is a Watts water pressure regulator. costs about $58 and it has a bolt type arrangement on top to adjusts the pressure and a guage to tell you when you get there. I keep it on 50# and as noted above, with a 3/4" nipple get great water flow. Most parks are somewhere between 40 and 50#
__________________

__________________
Kayo Full timer since 2003
2014 Prime Time Sanibel 3501. 2013 Silverado 3500HD diesel dually. Seasonal NPS Park Ranger USMC 0302
kayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2013, 08:33 AM   #44
Registered User
 
mel s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo View Post
Most parks are somewhere between 40 and 50#
Kayo
I disagree with that statement.

SOME parks have between 20 and 50 psi of water pressure....
In those parks no pressure regulator is necessary.

HOWEVER:
SOME PARKS HAVE WATER PRESSURE of 75-100 psi.... (25-50 psi HIGHER/GREATER than you can be safely connect to/used in your RV water system)!

THAT is the reason for buying and using a regulator
__________________

__________________
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:55 PM   #45
Senior Member
 
TravisNuwa81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 478
So dumb question but, what if you just dont turn the water on all the way? I usually only turn it on to half.
__________________
TravisNuwa81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:02 PM   #46
Senior Member
 
flaggship1's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Rainbow Riding
Posts: 18,401
A friendly neighbor will come along and correct your error?
__________________
Steve & Annie (RVM2)
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38F ~ 325 ISB Turbo ~ Freightliner XC 2014 CR-V ~ Invisibrake / Sterling All Terrain
Sioux Falls, SD (FullTime Since Nov 5th 2014)
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:14 PM   #47
Registered User
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Varies Depending on The Weather
Posts: 8,517
You have to understand the differences between Water Pressure and Water Flow.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
__________________
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:21 PM   #48
Senior Member
 
TravisNuwa81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
You have to understand the differences between Water Pressure and Water Flow.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Yea im a dummy. I figured slow the flow the less pressure
__________________
TravisNuwa81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:36 PM   #49
Senior Member
 
flaggship1's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Rainbow Riding
Posts: 18,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisNuwa81

Yea im a dummy. I figured slow the flow the less pressure
What happens to pressure and flow when you stick your thumb in a garden hose?
__________________
Steve & Annie (RVM2)
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38F ~ 325 ISB Turbo ~ Freightliner XC 2014 CR-V ~ Invisibrake / Sterling All Terrain
Sioux Falls, SD (FullTime Since Nov 5th 2014)
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:46 PM   #50
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisNuwa81 View Post
So dumb question but, what if you just dont turn the water on all the way? I usually only turn it on to half.
Because all the does is restrict the flow when water is running. When you stop using water (no flow) the pressure will equalize at the spigot pressure. Don't believe me? Take a pressure gauge and put it on the spigot and turn the water on part way and leave it for a while. It'll be the same as the full open pressure.
Too many years doing water hydraulics system design and construction!!
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:53 PM   #51
Senior Member
 
Wolfpack Fan's Avatar
 
National RV Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Reno, Nevada
Posts: 851


Just do it!
__________________
Harley Ultra Classic (Geezer Glide) Rider, Retired US Army Paratrooper, fisherman, shooter. Proud to have served, proud of those that still do, or have done so with pride.
2005 National Dolphin 34'
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:46 AM   #52
Senior Member
 
TravisNuwa81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Because all the does is restrict the flow when water is running. When you stop using water (no flow) the pressure will equalize at the spigot pressure. Don't believe me? Take a pressure gauge and put it on the spigot and turn the water on part way and leave it for a while. It'll be the same as the full open pressure.
Too many years doing water hydraulics system design and construction!!
See, thats what people need to hear vs. Do it or your camper will explode. Lol thank you for explaining it to me. Ill be looking for an adjustable regulator. Thanks!
__________________
TravisNuwa81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:54 AM   #53
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 359
A restricter will help when the pressure blows a hose inside of the camper, you'll have twice as much time to scramble out and shut the water off and only have 1/2 as much water running across the floor .

I don't have a regulator yet, so when I flush the spigot before attaching the hose and the pressure 'seems a little high', I put enough water in my tank to get us by and leave it off.
__________________
2007 K-Z 35 Toyhauler, 2006 Chev 2500HD Duramax, 2005 H-D Road King Classic, 2007 Mini-Schnauzer "Scooter"
menoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:37 AM   #54
Registered User
 
mel s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisNuwa81 View Post
So dumb question but, what if you just dont turn the water on all the way? I usually only turn it on to half.
That DOES NOT reduce the PRESSURE!

If you turn it on to half you will reduce the VOLUME: (aka: AMOUNT OF WATER/gallons per minute).
The water pressure, (aka: PSI) remains the same!
__________________
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:05 AM   #55
Registered User
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Varies Depending on The Weather
Posts: 8,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisNuwa81 View Post

So dumb question but, what if you just dont turn the water on all the way? I usually only turn it on to half.
There is no dumb question.

Here is a good common sense explanation of the difference between Water Pressure and Water Flow.

Definitions
  • Water flow refers to the amount of water coming out of a hose, faucet or other pipe fixture in a certain amount of time. Water pressure refers to the amount of force that is put on the water to make it move from one place to another, or to the amount of force the water exerts when coming out of the pipe. Water pressure often is caused by gravitational pull.

Measurement
  • Water flow and water pressure have separate units of measurement. Water flow is measured in liters per second, since it is a measure of how much liquid is being dispensed. Water pressure is measured in kilopascals (kPa). It is a measurement of how much stress, or force, is put on the water as it moves through the pipe or other container.
Adjustment
  • Because water flow and water pressure are two very different things, they are adjusted in different ways. Water flow is changed by adjusting the opening to the pipe, such as the shower head you use. Water pressure is changed by altering the diameter or texture of the pipe, using a different pump/regulator or pump/regulator setting, or changing the amount of water that is elevated above the water coming through the line (the weight of the water creates pressure on the water below).
Friction
  • Water flow and pressure both are related to friction. As water moves through a pipe, friction will slow it to a certain degree, depending on the texture and diameter of the pipe. The smoother the pipe, the less friction there is and the faster water can move through the pipe, provided that the water pressure is sufficient. With good water pressure, the friction in smaller pipes can be overcome so that the water flow remains high.
Pipe Size
  • In general, the larger a pipe, the higher the water flow. However, the water pressure level always has to be considered. If water pressure is too low, then even the largest, smoothest pipes will not have good water flow because they don't have enough pressure to overcome the force of friction.
Problems
  • If you think you may have a problem with your water pressure or flow but aren't sure where to start, think about whether the water flows more vigorously at certain points of the day or when many lines are open at once. If the water flow slows during peak water usage hours or if it changes only when you turn on multiple faucets, then this signals that pressure is not high enough to keep water moving through all the lines at one time. If, however, water flow is reduced to a trickle at all times, or if water runs well through one line and not another, then the problem probably is a blockage resulting in poor water flow out of the pipe.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
__________________
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:32 AM   #56
Senior Member
 
TravisNuwa81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post

There is no dumb question.

Here is a good common sense explanation of the difference between Water Pressure and Water Flow.

Definitions

[*]Water flow refers to the amount of water coming out of a hose, faucet or other pipe fixture in a certain amount of time. Water pressure refers to the amount of force that is put on the water to make it move from one place to another, or to the amount of force the water exerts when coming out of the pipe. Water pressure often is caused by gravitational pull.


Measurement

[*]Water flow and water pressure have separate units of measurement. Water flow is measured in liters per second, since it is a measure of how much liquid is being dispensed. Water pressure is measured in kilopascals (kPa). It is a measurement of how much stress, or force, is put on the water as it moves through the pipe or other container.

Adjustment

[*]Because water flow and water pressure are two very different things, they are adjusted in different ways. Water flow is changed by adjusting the opening to the pipe, such as the shower head you use. Water pressure is changed by altering the diameter or texture of the pipe, using a different pump/regulator or pump/regulator setting, or changing the amount of water that is elevated above the water coming through the line (the weight of the water creates pressure on the water below).

Friction

[*]Water flow and pressure both are related to friction. As water moves through a pipe, friction will slow it to a certain degree, depending on the texture and diameter of the pipe. The smoother the pipe, the less friction there is and the faster water can move through the pipe, provided that the water pressure is sufficient. With good water pressure, the friction in smaller pipes can be overcome so that the water flow remains high.

Pipe Size

[*]In general, the larger a pipe, the higher the water flow. However, the water pressure level always has to be considered. If water pressure is too low, then even the largest, smoothest pipes will not have good water flow because they don't have enough pressure to overcome the force of friction.

Problems

[*]If you think you may have a problem with your water pressure or flow but aren't sure where to start, think about whether the water flows more vigorously at certain points of the day or when many lines are open at once. If the water flow slows during peak water usage hours or if it changes only when you turn on multiple faucets, then this signals that pressure is not high enough to keep water moving through all the lines at one time. If, however, water flow is reduced to a trickle at all times, or if water runs well through one line and not another, then the problem probably is a blockage resulting in poor water flow out of the pipe.


Dr4Film ----- Richard
Thanks a lot for the info!
__________________

__________________
TravisNuwa81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
water



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.