Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2015, 09:02 PM   #1

Do you use air bag suspension?

I'm thinking about installing air bag suspension is it worth the money and does it give you a smoother and more stable ride? Most importantly is it worth the cost?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2015, 07:53 AM   #2

Going to adjustable shocks made the biggest difference in ride quality. There was too much sponginess in truck when loaded with standard shocks.
Last truck had air bags only and they were okay.
My new truck has SuperSprings, Rancho 9000 shocks and air bags.
The only reason I put on the air bags with the new truck was to level it out. (45 pounds of air was all it took).

Old 05-18-2015, 08:00 AM   #3

When we had the Cedar Creek I installed a Fifth Airborne pin box. Made all the difference in the world. I have 2 friends that installed air bags on their trucks. They worked well pulling the trailer but rode pretty rough without the trailer & aired down.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:06 AM   #4

Do you use air bag suspension?

I might be the exception but I had air bags on my 2011 F250 and hated them. Truck was level but other than that I saw no positives and the ride was worse than before installing the bags when not towing. If I ever need something to level my truck I think I'll look at other alternatives and if it only squats an inch or two I'll probably do nothing. It seems most people have positive comments so maybe something wasn't installed correctly on mine but the company that did them only does hitches, air bags, etc. and was a well known company in Houston. My wife also noticed the terrible ride after the air bags were installed and hated them also.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by C130 View Post
I might be the exception but I had air bags on my 2011 F250 and hated them. Truck was level but other than that I saw no positives and the ride was worse than before installing the bags when not towing. If I ever need something to level my truck I think I'll look at other alternatives and if it only squats an inch or two I'll probably do nothing. It seems most people have positive comments so maybe something wasn't installed correctly on mine but the company that did them only does hitches, air bags, etc. and was a well known company in Houston. My wife also noticed the terrible ride after the air bags were installed and hated them also.
You sure it was the air bags and not the LT tires aired up to 70 PSI?

I have had air bags on both of my pick-up trucks and the Chevy road like a tank with them installed.

I was talked into them again by my older son on the Ram but he suggested that I lower the air pressure in the tires when not pulling the trailer to 45 PSI at the rear. Other than the stupid mandated TPMS on the truck the ride has improved greatly; the TPMS wants the tires at max air pressure. I now have 10 ply tires on the truck aired only to 65 PSI for the load that I carry when towing. The ride is almost car like in softness when not towing since I air them down to 50 PSI. Which I had a hard time believing this would provide that much improvement but they do.

Jim W.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:25 PM   #6

I hook up my fifth wheel trailer and retract the landing gear my 2007 chevy 2500hd squats down 4 inches and I have 9 inch gap between the bottom of the fifth wheel and the top of the bed sides. The fifth wheel rides level and the truck appears level. The fifth wheel is 10,000 pounds dry weight with a pin weight of 2000 pounds. Is a 4 inch drop excessive? Please advise.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:50 PM   #7

I have an F250 with 2 extra plies on each side. The ride with the 15000 lbs trailer is very smooth and it only drops about 2 inches. When unloaded the rear drives smooth but the front tend to follow the rough road so the whole body follows the heavier front. When I first bought the truck I thought that the truck was going to whip the rear due to the extra plies, but its the opposite, the rear is smooth unloaded and the trailer pin load helps in giving an even smoother drive loaded.
I loaded 2900 lbs in the box behind the rear axle and it just dropped a bit and drove well.
Dropping a Ford 250 4 inches will load the overload and create a harsh drive when loaded. I found that 2.5 in drop is my max for stability and ride.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:50 PM   #8
JDT

I have an Air Lift system on my truck with their automatic compressor, a Trailer Saver BD3 air ride hitch and Center Point air suspension on the fiver. You didn't say air ride on what so I can cover all the bases for you. Probably overkill for most but working together we have as smooth a ride as I guess I can get. The Air Lift bags and the Trailer Saver were bought to help with some problems on a previous truck. Keeping the Air Lifts were kind of an afterthought and a pain to remove from the old truck but I'm glad I did. In the 20k or so miles we have pulled the Excel the past 3 years we have hit some really bad roads. The air systems sure help smooth them out.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:49 PM   #9

Not sure how apples to apples to oranges this is, but my 3500 has the OEM air assist, it's a huge upgrade.

I've yet to tow a 5er, but towing goosneck's ranging from 6k to 26k all ride around the same with it. The springs are soft enough that with my cover, some tools, and the tongue weight of my boat, it's got enough weight to start leveling.

My wife that couldn't ride in my 2012 2500 due to the ride has no issues with my 3500 DRW. I honestly thought this thing would ride like a log truck. Adding weight, then leveling, improves the ride even more.

Namlehse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:02 AM   #10

So Max what are you trying to accomplish? Reason for my question is I have a '09 2500 gasser pulling 9k dry with 1200 pin. My 2500 goes to level with the 5th wheel hitched. However, going down the road is another story. My wife just about puked when we brought the trailer home from dealer. Tires were maxed out but it bounced all over the place.

My first course of action was to slow down the bouncing. I installed Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks. They helped but are a hassle to adjust (mine are manual). It slowed down the bouncing, didn't totally eliminate it especially on the bridges, slowing down helps that.

My next project after tons of research was to install the Firestone "no drill" air bags. Easy to install, took me about 1 1/2 hours without a lift. Made a big difference, firmed up the ride and basically eliminated the bouncing. It still bounces but only on severe occasions. Depends on how heavy we load the trailer determines how much air I put in the bags. I use a small jump start box that I carry. It has a small compressor on it allowing me to air up the bags.

Beware, air bags DO NOT get rid of the "chucking". A cushioned pin box will only do that. Too much $$ for my blood.

My next project is to install a compressor that a buddy gave me under the bed, so I can air up at will.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namlehse View Post
Not sure how apples to apples to oranges this is, but my 3500 has the OEM air assist, it's a huge upgrade.

I've yet to tow a 5er, but towing goosneck's ranging from 6k to 26k all ride around the same with it. The springs are soft enough that with my cover, some tools, and the tongue weight of my boat, it's got enough weight to start leveling.

My wife that couldn't ride in my 2012 2500 due to the ride has no issues with my 3500 DRW. I honestly thought this thing would ride like a log truck. Adding weight, then leveling, improves the ride even more.

Throw a set of Bilstein's on the front you will thank me! Not available for the rear yet.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Freedom View Post
I'm thinking about installing air bag suspension is it worth the money and does it give you a smoother and more stable ride? Most importantly is it worth the cost?
You need to provide way more info if you want a good answer. Truck specs trailer specs weights and so forth. What air pressures you are running loaded.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Throw a set of Bilstein's on the front you will thank me! Not available for the rear yet.
Any specific line? How hard are they to replace?
Namlehse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 07:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namlehse View Post
Any specific line? How hard are they to replace?
genosgarage.com sells them. They are the 4600's their site says for 13/14 MY but call them and they will tell you they work on the 15's also.

They really help the rebound, not sure how else to describe it.

It took 1/2 hour maX FOR THE INSTALL.

Tags
suspension