Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2011, 08:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN
I second Jim's recommendations. Do not begin any modifications until you have installed those gauges Jim mentioned. Another thing to keep in mind is the transmission, which will withstand just so much HP/torque before it fails, whether it be manual or automatic. Another website is dodgeram.org for information and tips about your truck.
I was running the edge juice with attitude had the hot unlock, stacked on an MP 8. 5 inch stainless from the turbo back, ARP headstuds, and a southbend dual disc clutch. The goat was much of a man.

Crossroaders is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2011, 07:57 AM   #16

This is great! Gauges it is then.
I have been reading , and did sign up on the two forums mentioned.
Lots of good reading there.

As far as the exhaust goes. Previous owner removed the Cat. Conv. Some say this lessens low RPM torque. The truck seems to pull hard from idle but I don't have a bench mark to gauge from. I am now thinking of adding a bigger muffler to tame the sound. Maybe this will also give back some of the restriction lost with the Cat. removal thus regaining lost low RPM torque.
Does this make sense?

Old 11-25-2011, 08:16 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MConnelly View Post
This is great! Gauges it is then.
I have been reading , and did sign up on the two forums mentioned.
Lots of good reading there.

As far as the exhaust goes. Previous owner removed the Cat. Conv. Some say this lessens low RPM torque. The truck seems to pull hard from idle but I don't have a bench mark to gauge from. I am now thinking of adding a bigger muffler to tame the sound. Maybe this will also give back some of the restriction lost with the Cat. removal thus regaining lost low RPM torque.
Does this make sense?
Back pressure on a diesel engine will not provide low RPM torque.
To make horsepower and thus torque a diesel needs two things, fuel and air. The more fuel you provide than the more air you need to move in and out of the diesel engine. So one way to improve a diesel engines performance is to modify the CAI (cold air intake) which a lot of owners do by using an aftermarket CAI like an AFE pro series air filter. The other way is also to modify the exhaust system by providing a larger exhaust system or removing all restrictions in the 4" system that is on the truck. Most users of diesel trucks should stay with the 4" System if they do not intend to make over 500HP. Less cost than a 5" system. If you plan to go over 500HP than a 5" or larger exhaust system is required.
The Cat filter and Conv. on the stock (05) exhaust system on the diesel engine actually tending to restrict the free flow of exhausted air out of the engine. Thus prevent the full potential use of the engine in the truck. I would climb under your truck to insure that there is a working muffler on the truck; if you find the truck noisy. I would than suggest that you look into a muffler from MBRP for the truck. These are design for diesel engine used on these trucks and have been very well accepted by aftermarket users.
Jim W.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:40 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjensen91910 View Post
There are many MODS that are much cheaper and perform as well as Banks. They are well built but quite pricey. Follow the link to one of the Cummins forums and ask your questions. Much good info.

Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
Thanks for turning me on to this web site. My truck is new and it's my first diesel so I have a lot to learn. I'm curious about the deletes they talk about on that site.
ajlcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 07:49 AM   #19

Thanks , this makes sense.
The MBRP muffler keeps coming up as I research this project, so that looks to be a path to travel. (I have a 5" Turbo back system of some sort now so swapping the pipes seems a waste of money.)
I have also installed a Banks CAI. I will add the Banks Air Scoop to complete the air in / air out portion of my up grades.
Thanks again for the explanation.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:10 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MConnelly View Post
Thanks , this makes sense.
The MBRP muffler keeps coming up as I research this project, so that looks to be a path to travel. (I have a 5" Turbo back system of some sort now so swapping the pipes seems a waste of money.)
I have also installed a Banks CAI. I will add the Banks Air Scoop to complete the air in / air out portion of my up grades.
Thanks again for the explanation.
Be careful with the air scope. I am not a fan of any air scope from any aftermarket CAI maker. Take this as a warning and decided for yourself if you should do this or not.
My reasoning is the scoop is place down low about bumper high. So when you travel down the road, this scoop could inadvertently suck rain water into the CAI. I personally have known this to happen to a few area farmers that have used the Banks and S&B air scoops on their trucks. My son makes a lot of money rebuilding their engines after ingesting water in them. The Turbo sucks the water in and then down into the cylinders. The water will not compress so something has to fail.
Here is a free publication that might help you more. It is from Turbo Diesel Register which I am member of.
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/magazines/buyersguide.phtml
Jim W.

Old 11-27-2011, 02:08 PM   #21

No after-market air intake system I'm aware of has been proven to provide significant improvement over the stock system - unless the entire system is replaced.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:37 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
banks system

I bought a new 2004 1/2 dodge with the 5.9, 4 door, long bed, 4x4, 325 hp. has 130,000 miles now. I have the banks 6 gun bundle system with the super scoop air intake system. I did not go with the banks torque converter. I went with another manufactor out of Sacramento. had the trans built with billet shafts, heavy duty clutchs, needle bearing, steel band, shift kit and deep pan. the torque converter has triple clutchs roller bearings and billet splines. I thick the stall speed is 1750. I average 24 to 28 mpg highway and 12 to 16 highway towing our 5th wheel. in the mountains, I do not get passed by others with trailers in tow. Do not install a high performance torque converter by it self as you will end up with tranny problems that will cost alot more down the road. the 6 gun dial stays at the one setting. when I'm towing I set it at two or three and leave it there. in the mountains sometimes, I turn it up to four, depends on steepness. love this set up. I also have the air bag/compresser system, 50gal/tool box, transfer flow aux. fuel tank and the banks exhaust brake system.
Lillyputz
Old 12-04-2011, 08:21 AM   #23

Sweet! Was the transmission work done using a "Kit". If so, what kit?
Old 12-05-2011, 09:00 AM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Banks system

I had the trans done by Carson Valley Transmission. No kit, just Kevins expert advise. they have been in business 25 plus years. Kevin also builds trans for race cars. I've know him for approx. 20 years.

Lillyputz

Tags
diesel