Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2005, 01:11 PM   #15

There is a "consumer reports" for RV's. As I have in the past, I would urge you, or anyone else planning to buy an RV, to get a copy of the RV Consumer's Group ratings guide (book or CD). The will give you some objective information and ratings on the different models out there. Yes, the guide costs about $80., but that is pretty insignificant when you're going to spend $30,000+ on a fifth wheel. (You may be able to find the guide in some libraries). The guide will tell you which units are rated for full-timing, having the quality, construction and weather resistance for living extended periods in. The RV Consumers Group website is: www.rv.org

We have used the guide to purchase our last 2 RV's and found the ratings to be pretty accurate. The RV before we discovered the ratings was a piece of junk and we wish we had know about the guide then. (The guide accurately predicted it was poor in quality.) There are models out there that are better rated for the same money with the same features. Unless you're an expert on RV's (which we are not), think about it.

Don't believe anything that RV salespeople tell you and only about half of what RV owners tell you about their rigs. They are not objective after having made a decision and sinking $30,000+ into their rigs. They want to believe they got the best.

Good Luck!

2002 F-350 PSD, CC, 4x4,
cdrcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2005, 08:56 AM   #16

Late Whorehouse/Tacky Motel themes Good one! John
2003 Dodge Crew Cab, 4X4, Ca. Cummins, Limited slip, 3.73, 48re, T-Rex nerf bars, Rhino Liner, B&W Turnover Ball, B&W Companion, Prodigy. 2005 Wildcat 29BHBP, 1987 HR Aluma-Lite XL 35', 1500W inverter, 3 solar panels, 3 furnaces, 4 Golf Cart Batteri
robertsonthego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 04:30 PM   #17

The k-z escalade it look very good a very well build check it out.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:20 AM   #18

Definitly join RVCG !

Take a good look at Excel by Peterson Ind. We didn't by one, but they were on our "short list", one of the best built trailers we looked at. We also have a friend with a Newmar Mountain Aire, another really fine rig.

Fireman
Fireman 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 01:41 PM   #19

Can you enlighten me of you problems you have had with your unit? I'm looking at a 345RLTS Wilderness Advantage by Fleetwood.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by slideout:
Hi, I posted a question about Alpenlites. That was helpful! Thanks. But I'm hearing that alot of the newer 5th wheels units are questionable??!!?? Maybe buy "good used earlier models"? I have found out that Fleetwood is "buying out smallercompanies" and that Alpenlites are NOT as good as the earlier ones (cutting corniers) and Holiday Ramblers are NOT as reputable as they used to be!! Sooooo whats left. Newmar maybe? Alfa is having Warranty problems with the new "See ya's" I just talk to many folks with different models and years..... boy a person can find out more, that way. Any suggestions are appreciated, as we are awaiting our $ back on our FLEETWOOD LEMON! Mean while I'm looking at specs. and info on "full timing type" 5th wheels. Carriage......,are the NEW ones built good still? Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 03-19-2005, 03:33 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ken, you need to check Fleetwood's warranty. They specifically exclude covering any warranty items if you live in the unit full-time.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 05:47 AM   #21

I personally stay away from ANY Fleetwood product. It has been my experience that they are more concerned with how many trailers they can manufacture, not the quality of them. Getting the dealers (most fall into this category but not all) to repair things under warranty is like pulling teeth. Sure all brands of trailers have lemons from time to time, but Fleetwood should be selling lemonade in my opinion. John
2003 Dodge Crew Cab, 4X4, Ca. Cummins, Limited slip, 3.73, 48re, T-Rex nerf bars, Rhino Liner, B&W Turnover Ball, B&W Companion, Prodigy. 2005 Wildcat 29BHBP, 1987 HR Aluma-Lite XL 35', 1500W inverter, 3 solar panels, 3 furnaces, 4 Golf Cart Batteri
robertsonthego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 07:39 AM   #22

2nd post by cdrcos above, consumer group was a good tool among others and was worth the time and money reviewing. Might look at www.nhog.org, have it done your way.

F250 7.3,32' New Horizons FW
Ron1247 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kz-rv