Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-07-2005, 03:20 PM   #1

Hi, I posted a question about Alpenlites. That was helpful! Thanks. But I'm hearing that alot of the newer 5th wheels units are questionable??!!?? Maybe buy "good used earlier models"? I have found out that Fleetwood is "buying out smallercompanies" and that Alpenlites are NOT as good as the earlier ones (cutting corniers) and Holiday Ramblers are NOT as reputable as they used to be!! Sooooo whats left. Newmar maybe? Alfa is having Warranty problems with the new "See ya's" I just talk to many folks with different models and years..... boy a person can find out more, that way. Any suggestions are appreciated, as we are awaiting our $ back on our FLEETWOOD LEMON! Mean while I'm looking at specs. and info on "full timing type" 5th wheels. Carriage......,are the NEW ones built good still? Thanks.
slideout is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2005, 03:20 PM   #2

Hi, I posted a question about Alpenlites. That was helpful! Thanks. But I'm hearing that alot of the newer 5th wheels units are questionable??!!?? Maybe buy "good used earlier models"? I have found out that Fleetwood is "buying out smallercompanies" and that Alpenlites are NOT as good as the earlier ones (cutting corniers) and Holiday Ramblers are NOT as reputable as they used to be!! Sooooo whats left. Newmar maybe? Alfa is having Warranty problems with the new "See ya's" I just talk to many folks with different models and years..... boy a person can find out more, that way. Any suggestions are appreciated, as we are awaiting our $ back on our FLEETWOOD LEMON! Mean while I'm looking at specs. and info on "full timing type" 5th wheels. Carriage......,are the NEW ones built good still? Thanks.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:01 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
We considered a fiver last year. Do your unit/hauler research very carefully. We got real discourged at how much truck it would take to safely tow a 36' unit. You might give some thought to the added travel/set-up differences between a fiver and a MH. In short we settled with a new MH.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 04:24 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You have to decide if you will be parked more of moving often as well as the capital investment. With a motorhome, you really need to physically more it and drive it for about 30 minutes as a minimum each month. You also need to exercise the generator set about 30 minutes each month with at least some load on it. The purpose of this is fully libricate all of the seals and keep everything loose. Just letting the engine idel at high idel, does nothing for the shocks, tranny seals and so on.

As for what to look for...look at some 2 to 3 year old high end units. One thing is you do not get the big depreciation and all of the little bugs have been fixed.

Some units to look at are Hitch Hiker, Snow Bird (NuWa), New Horizon, Mobile Suites, Teton and King of the Road. All of these are heavy units and may require a MDT (medium duty truck) to tow within ratings.

Have fun.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 07:24 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
definitely check out Newmar. They make a very well constructed unit. But they are heavy so make sure you look hard at the specs.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 03:38 AM   #6

"Sharks swim in all kinds of waters." Meaning that one company devoures another all the time.

Coleman campers was aquired by Fleetwood. One division of Fleetwood was combined with another. Thor bought Dutchmen.

So where does that leave us consumers? Well, we have to do a lot of homework and determine what we want in a rig, and then who comes the closest to meeting those needs.

Personally, I'm a Newmar or Teton fan.
Brunnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 05:26 AM   #7

The new Carriage units just don't seem to be built as sell as the older ones .... our '94 is really put together and tight and quiet while the new ones we looked at just don't 'seem' to be as solid. That being said I still think Carriage is a good unit, but a little pricy.
For the best look at the Mountain Aire but you will need a MD Truck to pull it at almost 20,000 pounds
We were very impressed with the new Montana Keystone 35FL front living room fiver.
BTW our Carriage and TV are for sale ... see Classifieds for info .....

Andrea
C Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 02:39 PM   #8

Thanks for everyones input! I hear some bad info on the i highly sold Montana by Keystone!! Yes nicely designed..... if they are "so well built" as one salemen told us, why don't they have a 3-5 Warranty on the structure? They only have one year? Newmar.... yes....I think an older Alfa (I think I can tow one, but maybe not) or older Carrige I guess. Hey, Fiver Driver, after being in a Carrige, I'm surprised you have not heard anything on Montana's? It was raining here a couple weeks ago and our neighbor was putting caulking on his roof!!!! And it's NEW! Oh....well, that must be RV living? I've been on top of our NEw 2001, when it was new too!! LOL
Old 02-13-2005, 02:53 AM   #9

We have just gone full-time in a 2005 Open Road 349RLDS manufactured by Pilgrim International.
The Open Road line was created with the full-timer in mind, as it states right on the cover of their brochure, and the quality, fit and finish are really top notch. They have some really nice spacious layouts and all have king size, walk around beds.

We looked at Excel, King of the Road, NuWa, and Mobil Suites in the high end and decided that we really couldn't afford them without spending a good portion of the proceeds of our house sale. (Never sell an appreciating asset to buy a depreciating asset.) Then we found Open Road and were just as impressed (and in some cases MORE impressed) with the quality. They are an EXCELLENT product in a moderate price range (40-55K).

Another thing that I like is the decor which tastefully avoids the usual Late Whorehouse/Tacky Motel themes many manufacturers think we women like.

We've only been living in it for a couple of weeks, just bought a truck to pull it, and so far we love it! We'll keep ya posted.

Mary Ellen

Don & Mary Ellen Cyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 12:32 PM   #10
zip

After looking at em the last few years, the ones that still stand out the most to us are the
1. Newmar Mountain Aire or Kountry Star
(the Kountry Aire is way out of our league)
2. Teton- all of em! (Mucho dinero too!)
It seems like some of the other high end units don't always offer a tub/shower in their 32-34 ft units.

zip.94 Terry 5'er 30.5ft.
zip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 09:52 AM   #11

What's the best 5th wheel? Boy that's a loaded question, it's very much a personal preferance thing.
Over the last 30 years of RVing we have owned 9 different rigs from trailers and fifth wheels to class A and class C motorhomes. Since going full time we have had 2 fifth wheels, the current one is a Teton. We have our second Teton on order for June delivery, so for us Teton is the one, however you need to really research the decision for yourself, visit the factory if possible and don't be overly influenced by others. Remember we all tend to be biased towards our own choices.

Mustang convertable toad
Matt Cassels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 05:38 AM   #12

Thanks for the comments on the Open Road...are you still happy with the unit...and as far as the high end units...my wife and I have been looking for several months now...we are finding out that the high end units are not so high if you are careful with the option list....sometimes in the long run the so called price leader can eat you to death in repairs and such....I have a 2001 Terry thats been a nightmare...will not even look at Fleetwood because of it....
vernkathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 08:16 AM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
A Terry? Gag! Don't even get me started.

don
Don in E Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 03:21 AM   #14

KZ makes a quality product. WWW.KZ-rv.com

1999 F-150
Sportsman2505qss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kz-rv