Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2011, 10:12 AM   #1

Dolly or similar to park 40' 5er.

Our RV access is difficult to get into with the regular tow vehicle. We are ble to use the tv to get it "behind the gate" but cant maneuver the 5er into a convenient position. I have looked into dollies. They don't handle the pin weight (3100) or are too expensive to be worth while. Am considering a forklift. Also think a smaller (way smaller) truck may be able to make the turns the big truck can't. All the truck needs to do is move the 5er into the position we want and back out to hook up the TV. 20-30 feet. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2011, 01:56 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
KZ RV Club
I had a similar problem but my solution was to remove a 60 ft. oak tree and add $2000.00 more driveway parking space. It was a bit pricey but it solved all problems and gave us a nice level spot for the 5er. Adding another piece of machenery just to move the rv 30 ft. just don,t seem pratical to me. It's just one more thing to maintain and store when not in use. If possible changing the parking situation would make the most sence in the long run.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:18 PM   #3

It's going to take a pretty serious fork lift to handle 3100 pound 4-5' off the ground (the height of the 5er hitch) on possibly rough ground. Plus the rolling resistance. Ditto for a skid steer or bucket loader. I'd agree that it would be better/safer to figure out how to improve the parking space if at all possible.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:02 PM   #4

Many dealerships move 5er's around on their lots with a farm tractor and a special drawbar-mounted hitch. They never have to move the 5er jacks, as batteries are not installed until it sells. Just back under the pin, raise the 3-point system until the jacks are off the ground, and go. Weight holds the pin in the hitch pocket.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:05 PM   #5

You might want to look into the electrical dollies that airplane owners use to move their ariplanes around in the hangar. You may have to build a tower to reach the 5er pin, but those things are powerful enough to move 30,000 pound airpanes.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:12 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have any of you folks priced farm tractors lately.. The cost more thn a house!!!!

There is an electric powered (either 120vac or on board battery not sure which) I am still googling for it.. I have seen it in action.. It works. AH.. Luck is with me today

All Wheel Drive Fifth Wheel Trailer Dolly

Powered Trailer Dolly maneuvers large trailers and equipment. DJ Products.

Powered Trailer Dolly easily maneuvers large OTR and lowboy/drop deck trailers. - YouTube
Old 09-07-2011, 09:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Have any of you folks priced farm tractors lately.. The cost more thn a house!!!!

There is an electric powered (either 120vac or on board battery not sure which) I am still googling for it.. I have seen it in action.. It works. AH.. Luck is with me today

All Wheel Drive Fifth Wheel Trailer Dolly

Powered Trailer Dolly maneuvers large trailers and equipment. DJ Products.

Powered Trailer Dolly easily maneuvers large OTR and lowboy/drop deck trailers. - YouTube
I have looked into both of these dollies. One would need casters on the landing gear to distribute the weight. Would work great on a flat, smooth, level surface.

The other is what I think would work perfectly. But at TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS, it is just a bit out of my price range. I have been searching for used ones, but they keep their value.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:32 AM   #8
CD

New tractors are BIG money but old tractors that still run good can be found for $1/$2k or less. Just be sure they are equiped with a 3 point hitch and make (or have made) a hitch to attach the 5er(as Ray discribed). There are some good 40/50 yr old tractors around.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:08 PM   #9

How about buying a smaller 5er? It seems crazy to buy another tow vehicle to move a big trailer 30 feet, why not find a trailer to fit your needs instead of needs to fit your trailer.
-Paul R. Haller-
Old 09-13-2011, 10:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R. Haller View Post
How about buying a smaller 5er? It seems crazy to buy another tow vehicle to move a big trailer 30 feet, why not find a trailer to fit your needs instead of needs to fit your trailer.
-Paul R. Haller-
NO FAIR! You're using a common sense approach to the problem.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 08:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R. Haller View Post
-Paul R. Haller-
I apologize for not supplying a scale drawing of the area so everyone could understand the situation. 40' or 25', the problem is the same. No turning room for the TV. Seems some know my challenges better than me.

Tags
dolly