Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2015, 03:03 PM   #15

Wow, newbies not allowed to post their opinions on here, darn shame.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2015, 08:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
WOW - a hot water heater built by an outside supplier and installed by an RV manufacturer craps out and a reason to hate a particular product line -- plus a newbie here to bash an manufacturer. Not gonna call you any names, rehless, but what I'm thinking is not a positive..
Wasn't just the water heater, it was a whole list of problems from the people who built it, to the dealership, and to Keystone for not having any of the many parts, and pieces needed to correct all the problems. All were on back order for 6 months minimun. Never did get the parts. That trailer was not even close to being capable of being used for a fulltimer. [moderator edit]

Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmac2 View Post
Wow, newbies not allowed to post their opinions on here, darn shame.
You've got every right to voice your opinion on this forum. Welcome to Irv2
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:19 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
I think the Montana looks great. If the floor plan, options, and cost are good for you, the it's perhaps a good deal for you.

I think the previous posters were right, they're *generally* all built with the same construction techniques until you into really high end.... Stuff that costs 50%-75% more than a Montana. Lower end, you can have wood frames.. But most, including the Montana are aluminum frame, built on Lippert frames.

There ARE differences in manufacturers after the sale. Keystone (Thor) - well, the warranty is one year, they ask that you go through your dealer, and IMHO don't have the best reputation for direct support of their customers. Contrast that with others - say Jayco (which I've owned) - 2 year warranty and they let me order parts direct on a motorhome that I didn't buy new. Thor gets some grief, but they sell a lot of units, so who knows if they are better or worse statistically...

Keystone (and the dealer) will sometimes refer downstream on the warranty of other items.. Most of the systems and appliances, they *may* ask for you to deal direct, which is annoying as it feels like they're not supporting their own product.

We have a new Keystone. For a scheduled repair at my dealer, the turn around time is "About 4 weeks". Plus whatever time it takes them to get warranty work approval, plus the time to ship parts... Your dealer may be better or may be worse, but be aware... And this same dealer sells Jayco, so I assume the warranty repair line is the same. With that turn around time, I do most of it myself - which isn't ideal with a new unit...

Things that I find unacceptable about Keystone - and again, these may not be unique to Keystone:
1) Trailer tires aren't even balanced. From the factory, it'll shake screws out in very short order.
2) Tires are as cheap as possible, but meet the load rating. With a new unit, I threw away those factory tires.
3) They still can't label the black and gray water right. Really? They need to fire that guy.. It's been that way for years.

All easily fixed for a few bucks.

They are NOT cars. There will be stuff that happens.. It's normal. Just be prepared for it. Most units won't have major issues.

Keeping them covered and maintained on the roof and seals is VERY important.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:23 AM   #19

IC2, how about a little quality control? How about firing every thing up to see if it works before putting it on the line? It was put out by Keystone and they are responsible for fit and finish.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:43 AM   #20

Apparently our DRV went through a huge pdi at the factory before being delivered to the dealer, then the dealer went through it again upon delivery. We could barely find anything wrong with the thing besides a broken grease cap (Kodiak had a bad batch. They're sending us replacements) and a brake line had come loose. Very impressed with the unit so far.

My wife really liked the Montana units. When I did my research it seemed like customer satisfaction was hit and miss, with more reports toward the "miss." Getting past the shiny things and looking at the small details made me less impressed with the Montanas. Things like splinters coming off the wood inside the drawers. Poor fit and weak fittings on the cabinets. Construction debris not being cleaned up. Small frame. And again, lots of customer dissatisfaction. Looking for something better is when I found the Lifestyle and DRV offerings. Yes I spent more on our trailer, but I'm happy with the decision and DRV has been fantastic to work with.

I hope I've made enough posts on this forum to be able to express my opinion...

Cheers!

2015 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn CC LB Dually. Cummins, Aisin, 4X4, 4.10. Max towing-28,750. Max payload-5,436.
2016 DRV Mobile Suites 41RSSB4
Old 08-23-2015, 10:26 AM   #21

Wait tell you work with your dealer or Keystone on getting something repaired on Warranty. I have a 2008 and would never buy anything Keystone makes.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:26 AM   #22

We have a 2007 Montana 3400RL and love it for full timing. You will always get problems,min any make and model, but Montana's are consistently the number 1 selling Brand so we can't all be wrong
montana4two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:54 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by montana4two View Post
We have a 2007 Montana 3400RL and love it for full timing. You will always get problems,min any make and model, but Montana's are consistently the number 1 selling Brand so we can't all be wrong
"Montana's are consistently the number 1 selling Brand so we can't all be wrong"

The same can be said for McDonalds. Sorry I could not resist.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:47 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just bought a 2016 Montana 3160rl. 30days old...so far so good. I am of the belief that they all have something...kind of like the nature of the beast. We love it so far. Who and Where you have it serviced makes or breaks the rig. I LOVE my service dealer and its not our purchasing dealer.....Any thoughts?
Old 08-26-2015, 09:55 AM   #25

Montana trailers maybe a decent trailer but you have to work with KEYSTONE Manufacturing Corporation for warranty issues; that is the problem. Been there done it.

Jim W.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:49 PM   #26

vcbinca, You are right about all them having problems.Friend just bought a brand new Grand Design Solitude. Bad refrigerator right out of the gate. Over a month to get a new one installed under warranty. If it had been me, I would feel the same way about it that I feel about the Montana and Keystone. We had a less expensive Dutchmen and it held together better. If I pay 35,000 bucks for some thing, I expect it to work right.
Wishing you good travels with yours.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:09 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I owned an RK2950 and absolutely loved it and put many miles on it. Back then the Montana's main claim was they give a comfortable trailer that could be pulled with a 3/4 Ton Truck. The one I wanted to buy was the 3400 that could be towed by my existing truck. But because they build them lightweight they have to sacrifice a little to do that.

My RK was just worn out. Water damage on both slides and de-lamination. Setting out in the Florida rains was just too much for it.

The lesson I learned was to make sure they are protected from water. For example there was no factory sealant underneath the slides. Water come in like ink on a blotter and you could not see it until it was too late. You always check the tops but who checks the underneath? Both slides had to be repaired. Pin holes in the roof help cause the delamination. If you go the extra mile to protect it you will love your Montana. But you must check everything.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 09:10 AM   #28

We owned a Montana Big Sky in the mid 2000's and were very happy with it, even stayed in it one Winter in -30 C weather. It never went back to any dealership for repairs. We only sold it because of issues with the floorplan, it had a cabinet hanging from the ceiling over the island peninsula which gave it a claustrophobic feel and the toilet was in it's own little room and for me being 6'4" tall and having knee problems was a nightmare. I wouldn't hesitate having a close look, but having gathered some experience over the years I would insist on 8,000# axles and independent suspension regardless who the manufacturer is. IMO many of the structural problems could be avoided with good running gear. The hosts of a campground where we stay a lot fulltime in a 2003 Cougar and they still love it.

Tags
montana