Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2011, 10:52 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Door locks

We just got our 5er out of storage and found that some kind person had removed both flat screen tv's some time over the winter. There was no sign of forcible entry and to remove the 32" tv they had to open the slide, so they must have had a vehicle with a connection to power up the inverter as the batteries had been removed for the winter. Also they were very careful to leave all cables intact and only took the remotes for the tv's leaving the the remote for the stereo, I just wish they had left the other half of the wall mounts as I will have buy new ones now. My question is what kind of door lock can I install that will give better security?? My trailer is a 2011 Flagstaff 5er with two doors and two locks on each door(using different keys for each door). I would like to replace all locks with something that the dealers don't have master keys to and have all locks keyed the same.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

After getting things dewinterized and new tv's we went out last week for a few days west of the city to get away for a break, A little cool in the evenings and some rain but had a good time with family.

One other annoyance is the water pump keeps cycling every few seconds. Can't find any leaks. Ideas??

Thanks
Ray
seatosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2011, 07:40 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The internal check valve in the water pump may have failed, which allows water to trickle back into the fresh tank as soon as the pump shuts off.

See a locksmith to change the locks to something unique and keyed alike.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:52 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by seatosea
We just got our 5er out of storage and found that some kind person had removed both flat screen tv's some time over the winter. There was no sign of forcible entry and to remove the 32" tv they had to open the slide, so they must have had a vehicle with a connection to power up the inverter as the batteries had been removed for the winter. Also they were very careful to leave all cables intact and only took the remotes for the tv's leaving the the remote for the stereo, I just wish they had left the other half of the wall mounts as I will have buy new ones now. My question is what kind of door lock can I install that will give better security?? My trailer is a 2011 Flagstaff 5er with two doors and two locks on each door(using different keys for each door). I would like to replace all locks with something that the dealers don't have master keys to and have all locks keyed the same.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

After getting things dewinterized and new tv's we went out last week for a few days west of the city to get away for a break, A little cool in the evenings and some rain but had a good time with family.

One other annoyance is the water pump keeps cycling every few seconds. Can't find any leaks. Ideas??

Thanks
Ray
Nice. Neat and tidy thieves. Their mothers should be proud. I think I'd find another storage lot next year.

Re the water pump. Have u checked that an outside shower faucet isn't cracked open slightly?
offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:32 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
On the pump, if you have a valve to fill the onboard water tank fromthe fresh water inlet, and it's in the fill position without city water hooked up, your pump will cycle like that. Ask me how I know....
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:49 PM   #5

The problem with trailers is that it is very easy to jam the door open which usually causes a lot of damage. I know that this probably does not make you feel any better but it could have been worse. Missing TV and a damaged door.
Don
Donr827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:20 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
As the other post said, you probably have a leaking pump. It bleeds off the pressure and causes the pump to turn back on. Carefully check all faucets inside and out. check the washing machine. Check the hose inlet. If there are no leaks, it is the pump. did you lock the deadbolt lock? The master keys only fit the handle lock. There should not be a master to the deadbolt.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:45 PM   #7

Just a thought but if you had locks that they could not have gotten past easily then you might have to repair/replace the door and frame when they had used a large screw driver to force it open. My old 5th wheel door lock broke and that is how I got in.

Paul
Old 06-09-2011, 07:26 AM   #8

Hi, Sorry for your lose.
How did the thief's know that the TV's were in the 5er?
When we store our unit all window shades are down and the TV is removed from the camper. I do not know if the TV will fail do to extreme cold temperatures, but why chance it.
I have replaced my locks on the basement storage doors with the tumbler type lock. See Mod MY RV, RV Door and Storage Locks | ModMyRV . If you did not change them everyone has the same key for the storage locks, CH751.
The main egress and ingress door has two locks on it. One is a dead bolt that is keyed differently for all RV's and the bottom lock handle can be opened by anyone with a master key.
You can change your entry door lock to this style if you want to. http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-locks/keypad-door-entry-lock.htm
good luck.

Jim W.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:42 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Install a Dead Bolt! Those Factory Locks are too easily picked even with new tumblers installed! The truth is that the Doors can easily be pried open by a determined thief anyway.

Your Pump problem may be as simple as a split O Ring in one of the faucets or Valves.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:21 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I believe a lock is there to keep an honest man honest, a thief will find a way in anyway! Storage with visability may be the best but I guess that is why we have a need for insurance. Sounds to me that you are moving on and enjoying the camper.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:44 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks -re- door locks

Thanks to all for your suggestions. We purchased new TV's(32" on sale at Visions for less than $300 and wall mounts at Princess Auto for under $50) and are having the door locks re-keyed. They can only re-key the deadbolt as the other is riveted into the handle. Replaced the storage door locks with barrel locks. Took the front of the water pump off and checked it then put it back on, now it seems to be working fine, possibly a stuck diaphragm or a piece of dirt. Now that we have our problems solved we will be leaving next week for Victoria, BC for two or three weeks and enjoy some summer weather.

Ray
Old 06-14-2011, 12:44 AM   #12

Don't spend too much time and effort on door locks. All they have to do is break the door window and they're in. I guess a deadbolt keyed both sides would help, but I've never seen that in an RV. Regarding the post asking "How did they know there were TV's in there?", that's pretty obvious, there's always TV's in RVs!
Old 06-15-2011, 09:14 PM   #13

I'm still wondering where they got 12V power to open the slide, stole a battery from another trailer?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:01 AM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
They probably had a truck with a connector to hook up with the power cord from the 5er. Anyway we have changed locks and got new tv's that won't be left in the trailer when it is left for extended periods of time. I am considering putting a sign up like a dealer in Elkhart had, saying 'No TV's in the trailer'. We are off tomorrow for Vancouver and Victoria for 3 weeks.

Ray

Tags
door