Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2019, 06:43 AM   #29

2 bumper pulls are legal in California. Class A with doubles endorsement and not to exceed 65ft. I have the email from CHP saved to cover myself.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2019, 02:10 PM   #30

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
2 bumper pulls are legal in California. Class A with doubles endorsement and not to exceed 65ft. I have the email from CHP saved to cover myself.
You are correct, if you have a commercial license with a double/triple tow endorsement, if required, from your home state.

I have a Texas noncommercial Class A licences. I cannot double/triple tow in California. If I upgraded my Texas license to a commercial Class A with double/triple endorsement, then I could drive double/triple tow in California.

However, this is not a problem for me since I have no desire to visit California or any other state that is like-minded. There are numerous other states that I have not visited where I am not a criminal the moment I cross the state border and stop to take a nap.
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 02:34 PM   #31

Excel Owners Club
For Texans, Endorsement "T" may be requires to double tow RV

Interesting note for Texans driving double tow. While researching for the post above, I noticed something that may require a person to have Endorsement "T" added to their driver's license. I didn't research all the requirements. Here's what the requirements are:

Endorsements
Individuals may apply for an endorsement to be placed on their driver license. Depending on the type of endorsement, an individual may be required to provide additional information, complete a separate application, or pass a knowledge test specific to the type of endorsement the individual is seeking.

The types of endorsements an individual can apply for are listed in the chart below:

Endorsement Code Description
H Authorizes the transportation of hazardous material (CDL only)
N Authorizes the operation of a tank vehicle (CDL or CLP only)
P Authorizes the operation of a vehicle transporting passengers (CDL or CLP only)
S Authorizes the operation of a school bus (CDL or CLP only)
T Authorizes towing two (double) or three (triple) trailers over a specified weight
X Authorizes the operation of a combination of hazardous material and tank vehicle (CDL only)

Notice all endorsements except double/triple towing is for "CDL only" or "CDL or CLP only" license.
Whether it applies to RVs, I don't know. It does seem to imply that it is required for noncommercial licenses. I'll let someone else look into it further because I decided not to double tow because I am too close to my max GCWR and length as it is.

Below is the link to Texas DPS site:
TxDPS - Driver License Endorsements and Restrictions
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:36 PM   #32

We trip towed for years motocross racing. Went to a MH. DW likes the MH but going down the road I would take the dulley trip tow eveytime for stability.
simply40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:45 PM   #33

See this on another site
I don’t recommend it...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C2EEF1C5-F5DE-4A2E-B9C5-F6D12EEAFFF2.jpeg
Views:	531
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	234659   Click image for larger version

Name:	52B2750B-4D4A-487B-B964-05A1FC05607F.jpeg
Views:	404
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	234660  

razahoryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 03:54 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
That won't cut it in Massachusetts. No double tow anything.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:51 PM   #35

We have had trailers, 5th wheels, and motorhomes. Each one served a specific purpose. We used the trailer when the kids were small for outings, the 5th wheel was used after the kids were grown and we were by ourselves. We purchased the motorhome and toured the USA for over 5 years when we were full-timers. We had a 2004 Monaco Executive with a 500 HP Cummins and pulled a Cadillac SRX. I preferred to drive the MH over the Cadillac as it handled like a dream and was extremely comfortable.
PriklyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:07 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtCamper View Post
I've spoken to several CHP retired types and they tell me it would be difficult to issue a ticket to me for not having a commercial license. Their opinions were that drivers licenses were reciprocal but vehicle combos were not. If I was a legal driver in Montana, I would be legal in Cali too. But the bumper pull combo that I could tow in Montana couldn't be towed in Cali. That said I am aware there is some confusion as to Cali and to avoid dealing with the hassle of it all we just avoid Cali. Not hard to do. My point on the double tow post was not to get into where it's legal but it was to point out it is do-able and can be done safely.

As far as licenses are concerned, the retired LEOs I talked with explained there are many license combos that are unique to your state of residence. It would be impossible to drive from state to state and comply with the licensure requirements unique to each individual states residents. They felt license reciprocity would apply in almost all cases.
My Inlaw is a retired California Police Swat Team Captian. He dissagrees. Says CHP can and will ticket you for anything they can imagine. About 8 years ago, I got a ticket in San Diego for avoiding an accident by moving over a lane to the left which put me in the 4th lane over.* Inlaw told me, "Pay the ticket, in CA traffic tickets are just one more tax we must pay, you will not beat it in court."

*Crash in front of me with no room to stop a 38' RV and no room in the lane to the right so I went left, cost us $125. to avoid killing a bunch of people.
Igeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:39 PM   #37

Sounds like you were in the wrong lane to start. Moving 1 lane left to the 4th lane meant you were in 3rd lane. Towing in CA restricted to right 2 lanes.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:35 PM   #38

PM me if you want. I pull a 40’ Redwood and a Focus. Getting ready to sell Focus for a YK 2 door. At least 4 of us do this regularly Works well if set up right. 19 states and 12k miles so far without an issue.
piperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:46 PM   #39

Every one of the self appointed “experts “ told me I’d be stopped , ticketed, made to unhook, etc. Have pulled the fifth wheel and Focus fir two years, 19 states and 12k mikes so far including all east coast from FL to MA and the gulf coast. Only LEO that expressed any interest whatsoever was theSC trooper who followed me a couple of miles and then pulled around and gave me a thumbs up out the window.

F450, 40’ Redwood, Ford Focus
piperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:18 PM   #40

Do as you please and don't listen to the nay sayers. We triple tow with a Class A 2003 Monaco Knight 36ft, pulling a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel, pulling a aluminum tandem trailer with 2 four stroke jet skis. We have no issues what so ever. We did a 34 day trip this past summer through many western states and no one even looked at us twice. We passed many cops/troopers. I'm not afraid to be pulled over. If I cannot talk my self out of it, I will unhook and let the wife drive the Jeep. Just make sure you are dialed in 100% on all your connections/wiring etc. Only issue is getting in and out of a gas station. Have to think ahead when it comes to refueling.
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:51 PM   #41

Have double towed for several 10 years. Ram 3500, 24' Wildcat fifth wheel, 18' Crestliner boat with 175 Verado.
Mostly drive about 70 mph on four lane. No trouble so far except for flat tires.
Live in NV, tow mostly CA Delta, UT, AZ, ID, OR ( is not allowed but have permission from MCDermit NV through Jordan Valley, OR from sheriff's dept.
wetmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:56 AM   #42

There will always be people to push the limits and get away with it. That's why people rob banks or sell drugs, the risk of getting caught is not 100% everytime.

There's a old saying that "if you play with fire, you will get burned someday".
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing