Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2019, 09:44 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperguy View Post
Every one of the self appointed “experts “ told me I’d be stopped , ticketed, made to unhook, etc. Have pulled the fifth wheel and Focus fir two years, 19 states and 12k mikes so far including all east coast from FL to MA and the gulf coast. Only LEO that expressed any interest whatsoever was theSC trooper who followed me a couple of miles and then pulled around and gave me a thumbs up out the window.

F450, 40’ Redwood, Ford Focus

What are you using for the tow bar and brakes on the Toad in that setup?
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2019, 12:24 PM   #44

2 bumper pulls is legal in Ca.
NevadaNick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:25 AM   #45

Redwood came with 3k hitch which we reinforced. Car weighs 2770 lbs. it's set up same as it would be behind a gas MH. Blue Or towbar and baseplate, SMI Stay in Play Duo brake system. Coach has full MorRyde IS independent suspension with Bilstein shocks and H rated tires. Truck has Comfort Ride Hitch and MorRyde pinbox on the trailer. Rig goes down the road totally straight, no drama, and yes, I've had idiots cut me off and had to climb all over brakes. No issues
piperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:51 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by razahoryin View Post
See this on another site
I don’t recommend it...
The nose of that boat looks to be 2ft higher than the 5er.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:58 PM   #47

I always have to bring a lot of toys with me so, my experience has been with a bumper pull toyhauler with a quad rack I built on my dually, then traded for a 35' 5er pulling a small 10' long braked trailer behind it for toys. Never got stopped in CA with it being a 5er. I also have a class A license with doubles/triples endorsement. Went to a 33' Holiday Rambler gasser pulling a 16' box trailer, which was an absolute nightmare to drive. Underbraked, underpowered, and crosswinds, forget keeping it in your lane.
I am sure the higher end DP's would handle a lot better pulling a trailer.
Finally I got rid of the MH and went to a 40' 5er toyhauler.
Find a combination that works for you, my 2 cents.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20141004_133640.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	346.9 KB
ID:	234876  
Sapper1sg579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:34 AM   #48

This is ours
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1345.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	234930  
piperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:00 AM   #49

Quote:
This is ours

I wish you good luck and safe travels. Unfortunately common sense say's you are in a high risk category with that set up. There is a reason that some states don't allow that kind of double tow.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:20 AM   #50

Quote:
This is ours
and what is wrong with his set up
toy1ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:16 AM   #51

It might be worth checking this site out for state RV laws.
https://www.rvtripwizard.com/rv-info...-road-laws.php

My son hauls double grain trailers with his semi and when the pup starts wagging, things get real interesting. Even a 100k lb front trailer gets pushed around by the wagging smaller pup.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:33 PM   #52

Western states allow 3 trailers and yes they wiggle but in all my travels and i travel quite a bit, i have never seen a set of triples on there side. Lots of singles and doubles though. Also those sites like you poste about laws are not very accurate. You have to check with each state you are going to travel in.
NevadaNick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:08 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
. Also those sites like you poste about laws are not very accurate. You have to check with each state you are going to travel in.

Which states are not accurate in the posted site? The mid-west states, I know well seem to be right on.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:05 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Which states are not accurate in the posted site? The mid-west states, I know well seem to be right on.

California requires a actual CDL with a doubles endorsement, if your registered in Cali
Old 02-13-2019, 08:00 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropthejacks View Post
I don't get it. If you switch to a MoHo and pull a Jeep, when you get to where you are going you have one vehicle to cruise around in, that being the Jeep. If you pull a 5er down the road, when you get where you are going, you've got the tow vehicle to see the sights. I don't see going through the aggravation of dragging a 2nd car down the road, just to have a smaller vehicle to ride around in?
X2
No a Crew Cab One Ton DRW is not as nimble as a Jeep, but it will not be any harder to get around in.
We get around just fine in our Ram 3500 Crew Cab long bed DRW.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:07 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clomok View Post
California requires a actual CDL with a doubles endorsement, if your registered in Cali

The post site says that triple towing is not allowed in CA with a RV licenses. The requirement of a Commercial Drivers Licenses is a whole different class of rules, not typical of a RV owner.
If my mid-west state does allows double tows, I still can't go into CA with that double tow set up using the same drivers licenses (legally).

Tags
tow, towing