Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2018, 02:21 AM   #15

There is a second bolt a few inches to the right in your picture? Why not out the clamp bracket under that screw?
steve11669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2018, 04:43 PM   #16

I would drill it out and tap some threads then replace it with a machine screw. My standard procedure. My guess is the reason the screw failed was because it was over torqued during installation with an impact tool. Tek screws allow for fast construction but are not always the best fastener solution.
CecilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:08 PM   #17

**Teck screws are super hard. Harder than the steel frame. Drilling a teck screw is an operation that ends up with many dull or broken drill bits and an oblong hole.

The fasteners holding the underbelly will pop off with a claw hammer

Best way to get a teck screw out is to turn it out from the top with Visegrips

If you don't have experience (along with a really good tap) drilling and tapping steel may be another lesson in frustration.

Easiest/fastest is another teck screw next to the old one.
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:26 AM   #18

The I-beams strength is in the web. Drilling into the lower flange with a 3/16" to 1/4" hole will do nothing to weaken the I-beam. If it did then RV MFG's would not be fastening items to the lower flange. I've hung all sorts of things off the lower flanges on my trailers with zero issues.
Like others have mentioned just move the clamp over and attach it there.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:35 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
The I-beams strength is in the web. Drilling into the lower flange with a 3/16" to 1/4" hole will do nothing to weaken the I-beam. If it did then RV MFG's would not be fastening items to the lower flange. I've hung all sorts of things off the lower flanges on my trailers with zero issues.

Done and done. No need to overthink it.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:44 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
The answer was..

zip ties...

I took a deeper look and it actually doesn't look like there was a screw there at all in the metal of the i frame, even though the coroplast looked like there was. 3 seconds with a drill bit told me I didn't have the right stuff. So I zip-tied it like crazy with really strong zipties, that will get me back on the road for a while.

That entire line of screws are drilled right in the center of the ibeam.. they aren't in the flange... so I had to just quick fix it for now.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:07 PM   #21

To me, a zip tie fix is permanent. Good job [emoji106]
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:33 PM   #22

Quote:

Actually good design standards are the other way, you can mount to the web, and should leave the flanges alone. Look at any big rig, and you will even see that the cross members, and 5th wheel are mounted to the web.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fifth-Wheels-Fontaine-ANY-8487000.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	208030   Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch.PNG
Views:	86
Size:	712.7 KB
ID:	208031  

Old 06-21-2018, 03:39 PM   #23

You could always use a pop rivet and rivet it in with existing hole.
MorganT69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:59 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
As stated by Superburban, the flanges are taboo to drill or weld on in big rigs. People do it, but at their own peril. I worked in the trucking industry for 40 years, so I speak from experience. The top and bottom rails are constantly under compression and extension forces. The web is fine for drilling.

That said, it seems the RV industry never got the memo! But these rigs are not anywhere near subjected to the loads and stresses of commercial rigs. A few small holes here and there will be fine.

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:56 PM   #25

I've got about 50 holes in the bottom of my 5er from the self tapping 3/16" screws that hold the coroplast up. I highly doubt it's a strength issue. If it was then MFG would not be doing it.
If you cut all the way thru the flange then yes it will tear the beam. Thats not whats happening here.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:21 PM   #26

Quote:
I've got about 50 holes in the bottom of my 5er from the self tapping 3/16" screws that hold the coroplast up. I highly doubt it's a strength issue. If it was then MFG would not be doing it.
If you cut all the way thru the flange then yes it will tear the beam. Thats not whats happening here.
Manufacturer doing it is one thing. Good luck finding any manufacturer that says it is ok. The best you will find, is that it is not recommended.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:19 PM   #27

A Motorhome/HDT truck frame is high strength steel.

RV trailer frame is mild steel.

There are no coverall rules for drilling/welding to a frame.
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:48 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
come to find out, all of the smallish looking bolts left and right of in my photo are actually some sort of nail. My dealer suggested a tek bolt, so I picked up some small ones. I haven't had a chance to get to it yet.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frame