Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2012, 09:28 PM   #15
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman3161 View Post
They have offered us $500.00 credit which I am fine with.

That's about a $900 repair with labour if the RV is close to the repair shop. If you don't take it in and there is distance to your site, it will have to be a mobile repair tech. That will be $100 per hour per man, with travel and the actual repair. It's a two man job so if if you do the math.....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2012, 09:30 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
The O.P. seems happy with the $500.00 store credit the dealer gave him...all's well that ends well!

Now about that awning:

Judging by the picture, the hole is within four or five inches of the awning rail...it'd be real easy to take the fabric out of the rail, cut the "bad" part off, and reinstall. I've done this before with awnings that have aged and cracked at the last wrap.

Once the bad part's cut off, I just fold the edge over the spline and glue the fabric down to form a pocket. Reinsert when dry, and nobody will ever know the damage happened.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:50 PM   #17
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
The O.P. seems happy with the $500.00 store credit the dealer gave him...all's well that ends well!

Now about that awning:

Judging by the picture, the hole is within four or five inches of the awning rail...it'd be real easy to take the fabric out of the rail, cut the "bad" part off, and reinstall. I've done this before with awnings that have aged and cracked at the last wrap.

Once the bad part's cut off, I just fold the edge over the spline and glue the fabric down to form a pocket. Reinsert when dry, and nobody will ever know the damage happened.
That is actually a very innovative idea!!!

Thanks for that.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:27 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman3161 View Post
My thoughts are that we don't use the awning anyway I am fine with repairing it with awning repair tape. I have attached a picture of the damage. I am not fine that the damage happened and that is why I have asked for some resolution from the dealer. The awning will not be worth anything in 7-10 years anyways. They have offered us $500.00 credit which I am fine with. The driver was an employee of the dealership and I gave him the options on how to park. He could back in (my choice) or drive through and he chose to drive through and this is what happened. I have an enclosure built at my seasonal and he caught the awning on the edge of it.

I just had a smaller Awning over my slideout replaced and at $85.00 per Manhour and $450.00 for the new Awning, I think $500.00 is a bit short of the mark. Myself I would have it replaced even if I did not ever plan to use it. Plans can and do change.
Mochisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:29 PM   #19

I don't get why everyone automatically jumps to "I'm getting legal advice"... it was clearly an accident. And quite frankly, with an enclosure that close to where the trailer was parked, he was lucky the dealer would even PLACE it there. My dealership will not... if there's a roof over or porch involved, it gets parked on the lot near the structure and becomes the owners project to put it under the roof or next to the porch.And we are VERY clear on this at the time of purchase. We used to do it, but because of the litigious society we live in, we don't...people are more willing to offer services when they aren't threatened....we've ruined alot of things for ourselves this way, you know.
rvguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Rvguy40 , So what you are saying in round about way is just forget about the whole incident (accidents happen). Wrong, why should iceman foot the bill. Would you?
Old 09-09-2012, 11:09 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tims52ford View Post
Rvguy40 , So what you are saying in round about way is just forget about the whole incident (accidents happen). Wrong, why should iceman foot the bill. Would you?
That's not what I was saying at all.. rather than throw a fit and run at the guy saying "I'M GONNA SUE!" I'm saying things like this can be handled in a gentlemanly, less inflammatory way. A simple call to the dealer and being "nice" about it will accomplish ALOT more than being obnoxious and threatening to sue... THAT'S what I was trying to say in a round about way...
rvguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:37 AM   #22
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
I say have them fix it right away. Don't wait or you will never get it to happen. If it comes to a confrontation, the "S" word should be a last resort. Again, I like Francesca's idea, take the cash, have someone shorten the awning and walk away with some money still in your geans.

Tags
driver, awning