Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2016, 09:24 AM   #1

Driving me crazy!

Hi everyone! My husband and I have been researching fifth wheels for over two years and are finally ready to buy. I thought I wanted a front living until I actually walked thru a few. Then I fell in love with the bayhill 340rk! I love how much room! But when I look at the floor plan, I'm concerned that I can't get to anything when slides are in. Then we walked thru the landmark charleston and WOW! Just love how the livingroom feels separated from the kitchen.
My questions to all of you are:
Has anyone regretted going with such a large 5er?
Does anyone have any experience with the bayhill 340rk or landmark charleston?
Is there any other floor plan that I'm missing that feels like home rather than an rv?
If you were to trade your 5er in today, what would you get now knowing what you know?

I will be mostly using this to spend 3-4 months in Florida (1 location), but want to travel a little also. I already have a big truck to haul, so that's not a problem.
Thank you for any information you can give me!
(I double posted this...sorry)
Lvngthegdlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2016, 09:45 AM   #2

LOL You guys are in the same boat as us. Big, small, short, long, heavy, light----we go back and forth and back and forth.

I think in the process of elimination on making a decision you need to write down want/needs.

Our list includes the following: (but changes weekly)

1. Front of trailer has to accommodate my 6'6" body. (Need)
2. Trailer will be as small as possible with maximized room to live. (Want)
3. Has to be very high quality. (Want Need)
4. Has to have reasonable storage. (Want Need)

We've been looking for almost 2 years as well. I'm retired, the wife is not so we have time.

We keep getting a short list of units to look at. We research trailers online and fall in love then go look at the actual product and scratch it off our list. Very disappointed with some of them.

The best built trailers we've looked at are the Arctic Fox units. But they were also among the most unlivable for a 6'6" old man. And inside storage was lacking on all the units we looked at.

The best unit so far we've looked at is the Grand Design Reflection 337 model. Great room and storage in a medium sized trailer.

Our old Keystone Springdale tin and stick pull behind TT still suits us just fine for the few short trips we take for now.

Good luck and don't go nutz.
Bob1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:58 AM   #3

Deciding can be an emotional merry go round. We just purchased a 2007 Montana 3400RL because my wife insisted on the rear living room. She said it felt like home. What husband can argue with that logic? Yes, the slides block most of the unit when retracted but as long as you can get to the bathroom on those long trips, for us it doesn't matter. With ours, the bathroom is located in the bedroom and is located prior to the area with the slides so it is always accessible. My only complaint is that in our Montana, the bathroom and shower are in different locations and if you have company, they have to come into the bedroom to use the toilet. I have seen newer models that combine both toilet and shower and have a door that allows closing off the bathroom from the bedroom for more privacy. That may be something you want to consider in your search. Good luck. Take your time as you most likely will live with your choice for a long time. I like the fifth wheels because of the extra space, storage capabilities, and overall feeling of stability, both parked and on the road.

Neverhome
Neverhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:02 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't have a 5th wheel but own a class A. If I were going to make the switch, I'd also want an RK model as you do. We looked extensively at many makes until we found this one. It really does have a kitchen that encompases the whole rear of the coach (not just a rear corner- as many do). The slides don't appear to restrict access to any critical areas as far as I can see.

#3346 - 2015 Palomino Columbus 340RK for sale in Nacogdoches TX - Genuine RV Store
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:50 AM   #5

I don't have a suggestion on what you should buy but I do have a recommendation. You didn't say but I assume you are buying new. My 2 cents would be to buy a gently used model with a floor plan you think is liveable to you. Looking for the perfect rv is a waste of your time, they don't exist. It's hard to find the perfect floor plan until you spend time in one. Have you rented an rv before? Buy a used one, use it for a year, then you will know what you like and don't like. You can always buy a new one later. We've bought 2 new ones in 10 years fulltime.
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 06:52 PM   #6

We looked at the Charleston at the Tampa RV show last month, Awesome!!! They even made us a great trade in offer on our Gateway but the 365 is too heavy for my truck. As soon as my 17 f350 Dually gets here we will be looking at it again.
justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote