RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2019, 09:43 AM   #43

My guess would be that the mfg of the leveling system is concerned about horizontal pressure on the shafts if you lower the landing gear first & then the rv settles against the chocks when you release the hitch jaws. That would tell me the mfg doesn't have much confidence in their shaft's ability to withstand any sideways pressure.
I have a Big Foot automatic leveling system & have been dropping the landing gear first for 10 years of fulltime travel & rarely use chocks. I also tug on the king pin after hooking up to make sure the jaws are locked before retracting the landing gear. It's never caused any problem with my shafts.

freestyle_freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2019, 09:56 AM   #44

Always secure trailer before unsecuring it Even all the way back to my semi driving days it would have been a "Mortal Sin" to pull the 5th wheel pin befor #1 Wheels chocked
#2 Landing Gear down
#3 Unhook the air lines (road tractor) and then electrical

THEN and ONLY then is it safe to pull the pin on the 5th wheel

Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:20 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.LEO View Post
Always secure trailer before unsecuring it Even all the way back to my semi driving days it would have been a "Mortal Sin" to pull the 5th wheel pin befor #1 Wheels chocked
#2 Landing Gear down
#3 Unhook the air lines (road tractor) and then electrical

THEN and ONLY then is it safe to pull the pin on the 5th wheel
But what about verifying the jaws are closed before you take off? This is different from doing a tug test on a semi. On a semi if for some reason the jaws were not all the way closed, the worst you are going to do is drop the trailer on the frame, which will likely not do any damage. On a pickup you are dropping it on the bed.
PulNSerenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 11:17 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by PulNSerenity View Post
But what about verifying the jaws are closed before you take off? This is different from doing a tug test on a semi. On a semi if for some reason the jaws were not all the way closed, the worst you are going to do is drop the trailer on the frame, which will likely not do any damage. On a pickup you are dropping it on the bed.
Like with a semi besides the "tug test" a visual inspection, if too dark use a flash light. First back in as straight as possible, check your height of trailer and the angle of the 5th wheel receiver (slightly down in back) confirm jaws open, back in truck, music off, window down, back up until you hear the jaws release, visually confirm, handle to where the safety pin goes in.
Hope this helps
As far as when you unhook and worried about a little backwards travel of the trailer X Chocks would end that worry.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 12:26 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.LEO View Post
Like with a semi besides the "tug test" a visual inspection, if too dark use a flash light. First back in as straight as possible, check your height of trailer and the angle of the 5th wheel receiver (slightly down in back) confirm jaws open, back in truck, music off, window down, back up until you hear the jaws release, visually confirm, handle to where the safety pin goes in.
Hope this helps
As far as when you unhook and worried about a little backwards travel of the trailer X Chocks would end that worry.
On my B&W Patriot Slider Hitch you can do a visual on the jaws but it is kind of worthless. You can have the handle thrown all the way back which shows the jaws closed, but if you don't have the safety pin in it, it can kick the handle back & open the jaws right back up. It's not really spring loaded like on a tractor. So you can't just do a visual on the jaws. Gotta double check jaws & safety pin. Kind of scary knowing the only thing from keeping the hitch from letting loose this 13,000 pound beast, is a little 3/8" safety pin!
I don't get nervous unhooking... I always have the chocks wedged in front & behind the tires.
Sorry... I digress from the OP's original question of landing gear down first.
PulNSerenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 01:50 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by PulNSerenity View Post
On my B&W Patriot Slider Hitch you can do a visual on the jaws but it is kind of worthless. You can have the handle thrown all the way back which shows the jaws closed, but if you don't have the safety pin in it, it can kick the handle back & open the jaws right back up. It's not really spring loaded like on a tractor. So you can't just do a visual on the jaws. Gotta double check jaws & safety pin. Kind of scary knowing the only thing from keeping the hitch from letting loose this 13,000 pound beast, is a little 3/8" safety pin!
I don't get nervous unhooking... I always have the chocks wedged in front & behind the tires.
Sorry... I digress from the OP's original question of landing gear down first.
I agree 100% I wish these pickup type 5th hitches worked just like the semi do. Back in and it locks in and closed which would allow you to do a tug test right then and there, which doesn't negate the need to look that the jaws are closed around the pin. But this current system is a hack if you ask me. I love the B&W but this manual Pinning SUCKS.

This alone would make pickups safer with the 5th wheel. Also wouldn't take someone much time to mess with a RVer.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 03:17 PM   #49

Paid the ultimate price for doing the method first described. 5th wheel pushed 4 chocks along the hard ground and dropped onto trailer bed. Truck and trailer damage was $8K. Quite a few years ago but landing gear first has been the normal since then.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:23 PM   #50

If the 5th wheel falls on the truck at least you will get symtric debts on the truck bed.
I was glad my Reese Elite would not release until I removed the 5th wheel up off the hitch/truck meaning legs were down.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:03 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
From the LCI manual for the GC 3 operation:

Unhitching From A Tow Vehicle
Note: Prior to unhitching from the tow vehicle, ensure the trailer is parked on a level surface and be sure
to chock the tires of the trailer.
1. Extend the inner legs of both landing gear (front jacks) to within 4-5" of the ground by pulling on the
quick-release pins.
2. Push “ON/OFF” (Fig. 1K). LCD Screen will light up and display
“READY JACKS: UP” (Fig. 2A).
3. Push the “UP” arrow (Fig. 1A) to scroll to “Drop Front Jacks” option
on LCD screen.
4. Red indicator lights (Fig. 2B) may come on, indicating the current
disposition of the trailer. In this case, the front and right sides of the
trailer are low.
5. Push “ENTER” (Fig. 1C). Both front jacks will go to ground and stop.
6. Push the “FRONT” button (Fig. 1G) extending the front jacks to
a sufficient height, which raises the front of the trailer off of the
tow vehicle’s 5th wheel hitch plate.
They skip a step where it should say to unlock/open the hitch jaws before step 7.
7. Pull tow vehicle away and park at a safe distance.

Is your manual for the GC 3 different than the above?
They should have said to unlock the hitch jaws before step 6... no? You said before step 7.
RussOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 04:31 PM   #52

As a now retired former truck driver for more than 33 years, the most important thing to remember when hooking or unhooking is to have a system. Follow the same steps in the same order each and every time. have it memorized and, do not let others distract you from what you are doing. It only makes sense to me that you would lower the landing gear before releasing the fifth wheel pin! Think it through.
dbridger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 08:34 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbridger View Post
As a now retired former truck driver for more than 33 years, the most important thing to remember when hooking or unhooking is to have a system. Follow the same steps in the same order each and every time. have it memorized and, do not let others distract you from what you are doing. It only makes sense to me that you would lower the landing gear before releasing the fifth wheel pin! Think it through.
We have a written checklist we use for arriving and departing and it includes dozens of things both to do with hitching and unhitching and other things inside and out.

We now chock tires and ground our front and rear landing gear before opening the hitch jaws after which we raise the front of the RV/pinbox, drive the truck out from underneath then initiate auto-leveling.

Thanks so much to everyone who responded to my original post!
RussOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:11 PM   #54
Tec

Always chock first, always, if it can’t roll it’s a good thing.
Tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 12:34 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Only safe way to unhitch the 5er is....
Place wheel chocks at trailer wheels to prevent rolling either direction.
lower front jacks to take load off the hitch
Disconnect trailer electriacl cord and break away swith
Release jaws on hitch
pull out from under trailer.

if you release jaws with the load on the truck, you may have the trailer roll, even with chocks, and you get a mashed truck bed.

Ken
Since I use an Andersen UH, my process is a little different. But I prefer to wait to unhook the breakaway cable until after the trailer is fully separated from the truck. I just feel better having that able to activate in a worst-case scenario.

Best regards,
Chris
BubbaChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 09:54 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussOnTheRoad View Post
The instructions for our Ground Control 3 leveling system say to first chock the wheels of our fifth wheel, then to open the jaws of our hitch, then to lower the landing gear. When our RV is on a slope with the rear being lower this makes me nervous. More than once we have had the RV roll backwards when the hitch jaws were opened. Fortunately the chocks were up to the task and it didn't roll away. Still, it's nerve racking to see your RV rolling away with nothing you can do about it even if it turns out to be just a couple inches.

What I'm wondering is if people sometimes drop their landing gear before opening the hitch jaws in order to reduce the chances of a roll-away. My thinking is that we should be able to lower the gear as long as we avoid pulling up on the hitch with the kingpin. Then once the gear is down open the hitch jaws then.

What's wrong with this method, if anything?
I always drop the gear to unload the pin per factory instructions. Always chock the wheels. My Superglide requires backing up a fraction to unload the pin. I have never opened the hitch before dropping the gear...Sounds dangerous-especially if an unlevel site-like most.

rvchiro is offline   Reply With Quote