Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2015, 10:08 AM   #1

Drowning in information

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I'm about six months into a three year process of becoming a full timer. I've never RV'ed before and am not mechanically inclined. What I've come to realize is that you people are incredibly intelligent about all the mechanics and how too.
I believe I've narro my sights (so as not to be overwhelmed) to a New Horizon product. It appears to me to be as bullet proof as it gets and for budget reasons will be used as opposed to new.
The goal is to get something I can live in for 10 years as I explore all parts of this great continent.
You thoughts and recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2015, 10:10 AM   #2

Sounds like a good plan. Keep reading and you will absorb a lot of info that will be helpful to you in your travels. Good luck.

WagonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 05:27 PM   #3

We all start someplace and learn more over time. My only advice is start early, get the rig and do some short, near-home trips w/o time limits. No one can plan it very well w/o experiencing the reality.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 05:50 PM   #4

I think you will find a lot of good advice on this forum, the most important is to do your research prior to buying so you get the most for your money. Sometimes at this pricepoint to start, spending a few thousand more upfront will get you what you want quality wise and save you thousands down the road. Find the size and floorplan you want and then look at all the mfg's you can and you will see the differences. Don't be in a rush to buy, looking for one is half the fun. When you do get out to use it, you will learn a lot, and people here will offer a wide variety of expertise on various repairs/problems, and maintenance. You may be able to learn how to fix a lot of minor stuff on your own as you go, remember it was broke before you tried to fix it and the simple stuff you can't make any worse and may have to buy a new part anyway. But you may surprise yourself if you figure something out on your own. Good Luck
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 11:02 PM   #5

New Horizons Owners Club
New Horizons is a very good unit for full timing but understand no matter what unit you get, your the one that has to be happy with it. All units have problems you'll have to tend with, none are bullet proof. We are at NH now getting some warranty work done and they have some very nice used units here ready to go to a new home. We've been full timing for two years in our unit and wouldn't trade it for anything. Do your research and you can't go wrong
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Living area1 (640x427).jpg
Views:	60
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	86622   Click image for larger version

Name:	Living area3 (640x427).jpg
Views:	65
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	86623  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Outside1.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	86624  
Old 02-20-2015, 11:06 PM   #6

I can appreciate your "Drowning in information" sentiment and couldn't agree more that the folks here are a wealth of knowledge. I've blogged about just how much information I've absorbed as a newbie.

It can be overwhelming, but at the same time invigorating!

Anthony
Old 02-21-2015, 09:03 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Drowning in information.... In my life there have been several occasions where I looked at a book of the operating manual type and said "NO WAY". TOO MUCH information.

Then I sat down and read chapter 1.. Closed the book and went to bed

30 days later I'd read all 30 chapters. Passed the test and had the temporary license (in some cases)

Actally the last one... I did not finish the book (parts I already knew and I took a class, the first 1/3 of the class was stuff I had problems with,, The 2nd 1/3 was review, I skipped the last 1/3 as I'd already passed the test (Score of 96%, Passing is 74% or better) and had the temp license, the official Government printed version of the license now hangs nearby. The renewal (in 3 years) will be electronic.

The moral is an old saying: Inch By Inch it's a cinch, Yard by Yard it's way too hard.

Do not try to learn too much in one day.

Oh, what kind of things did that first 1/3 cover.
Smith charts (has to do with antenna design)
the differnce between Volt-Amps and Watts.

And a bunch of other stuff. (I am after all a certified electronics technician but that was long before this class, This was for my ham Extra class license).
Old 02-21-2015, 09:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFretired View Post
New Horizons is a very good unit for full timing but understand no matter what unit you get, your the one that has to be happy with it. All units have problems you'll have to tend with, none are bullet proof. We are at NH now getting some warranty work done and they have some very nice used units here ready to go to a new home. We've been full timing for two years in our unit and wouldn't trade it for anything. Do your research and you can't go wrong
We found a rare NH 44' rear kitchen that we both really like but we're not quite ready to buy. Still debating on size as my DW doesn't like the idea of pulling a long rig. She feels that 37'ish is plenty but my position is going to 44' is only 7' longer but has a lot more area to be comfortable in especially when you have two very large dogs. Also that the total length of a 37' with TV is 55' and with a 44' is 62' so you're really not going to find that's going to make a huge difference.

What's funny is that when we're looking at 5ers on the lot she always leans towards the 40s.

It does push you into a larger truck but the price difference between 35x, 45x and 55, is just not that much. They basically are the same when it comes to the drive train so most of the differences is in the frame. No matter which one we'd likely get a hauler bed made.

We took HDTs off the table since with the dogs we need something that easier to carry them. Just to hard to get 170 lbs of dogs up into a HDT all the time.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:11 AM   #9

New Horizons Owners Club
Timon,

Everyone needs to decide what works for them to be happy. For me and my DW we went for the 37' but also have a hydralift on the back for the motorcycle and tow it with a F-450 which puts us at 60' hooked up. Seven feet is not alot of difference as you go down the road but for us trying to stay in some of the areas we like, 7' would of made it almost impossible to get that extra 7' into a spot. We can still have problems even at 37'.

The main thing is no matter what rig you get be it 5er, MH or tent it has to fit your lifestyle and you both have to be happy with the decision.

This is a great way to live and wouldn't change it for anything!!!!
Old 02-21-2015, 03:00 PM   #10

Thanks

Thank-you all for your kind words, information and encouragement. I'm looking at a 37ft model that weighs about 16k empty. Would a new Chevy 3500 be big enough to pull it? I've seen on a video that something like 50% of all 5th wheels are being pulled by vehicles that are not rated to pull them.
Slow but steady will win this race and I look forward to every step of the way.
Again, thanks in advance for all your help.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted1 View Post
I'm looking at a 37ft model that weighs about 16k empty. Would a new Chevy 3500 be big enough to pull it?
A 3500 dually would be the minimum.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:34 PM   #12

New Horizons Owners Club
Ted1,

Really do your homework not only with the 5 wheel but the TV also. Weight ratings on the vehicles can and are very confusing. You have tire ratings, axel ratings, tow ratings and pin weight just to name a few. In most situations this is one area where bigger is better can be true. Unless you are a down and out Chevy only kind of guy take a look at all thats out there to best match the Rig.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Inch By Inch it's a cinch, Yard by Yard it's way too hard.
Love it!!!!