Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2017, 09:20 PM   #1

DRV customer service

I recently purchased a brand new DRV 38RSB3. On my first long trip I had a MorRyde suspension failure. My MorRyde rubber spring assembly on the drivers side of the RV completely separated leaving the front axle not carrying any weight, causing me to have tire failure.

Has anyone else experienced this ?

DRV and MorRyde are slow in working with me. I am out over $2200.00 in repairs and 12 nights waiting for parts and repairs just to get back on the road, I received body damage from the tire shredding that I have not even had time to get estimates.

I apparently am expecting to much, according to MorRyde and DRV.

My wife would like DRV to buy the rig back from us.

What would you do ?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0439.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	408.6 KB
ID:	171007Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0431.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	274.4 KB
ID:	171008

Photos are the drivers side separated and passenger side starting to separate.

Thanks
2016 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually Asian 3:73
Khk4823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2017, 10:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khk4823 View Post
I recently purchased a brand new DRV 38RSB3. On my first long trip I had a MorRyde suspension failure. My MorRyde rubber spring assembly on the drivers side of the RV completely separated leaving the front axle not carrying any weight, causing me to have tire failure.

Has anyone else experienced this ?

DRV and MorRyde are slow in working with me. I am out over $2200.00 in repairs and 12 nights waiting for parts and repairs just to get back on the road, I received body damage from the tire shredding that I have not even had time to get estimates.

I apparently am expecting to much, according to MorRyde and DRV.

My wife would like DRV to buy the rig back from us.

What would you do ?Attachment 171007Attachment 171008

Photos are the drivers side separated and passenger side starting to separate.

Thanks
Post this on thor web under drv also.So sorry, I bought a new 36 2 weeks ago.2k on rig now.
42willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:16 PM   #3

Wow, how unfortunate that you have had that horrible experience.
I follow several DRV forums / threads and have for several yrs. and have not noted any posts on rubber torsion spring failures of this sort yet.
I've noted posts where owners have even been back to MorRyde for other reasons, upgrades, modifications etc. and had the technicians check the deflection and condition of their springs. Some owners even being concerned about towing near max. axle rating have been told deflections were good. This seems like an isolated event in my view.
So with a Model MS-38RSB3 you were probably sub-21K# GVW rated? Do you know if you have the 8K axles? Granted the kitchen side is typically slightly heavier, had you ever had the trailer weighed in your full up travel form?
This is the OD forward spring failure? Then you had a failure of the OD aft tire (GY-G114) that was left with the bulk of the OD weight? I'm guessing that you didn't notice any list, or unusual handling characteristics prior to the failure?

Although I, (we) are empathetic to this type of a situation I'm not overly optimistic in the option of DRV purchasing the trailer back from you, but who knows. I'd expect them to deflect to their vendor MorRyde.

Please keep us up to date on your negotiations with the manufacturer(s).
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnTrek View Post
Wow, how unfortunate that you have had that horrible experience.
I follow several DRV forums / threads and have for several yrs. and have not noted any posts on rubber torsion spring failures of this sort yet.
I've noted posts where owners have even been back to MorRyde for other reasons, upgrades, modifications etc. and had the technicians check the deflection and condition of their springs. Some owners even being concerned about towing near max. axle rating have been told deflections were good. This seems like an isolated event in my view.
So with a Model MS-38RSB3 you were probably sub-21K# GVW rated? Do you know if you have the 8K axles? Granted the kitchen side is typically slightly heavier, had you ever had the trailer weighed in your full up travel form?
This is the OD forward spring failure? Then you had a failure of the OD aft tire (GY-G114) that was left with the bulk of the OD weight? I'm guessing that you didn't notice any list, or unusual handling characteristics prior to the failure?

Although I, (we) are empathetic to this type of a situation I'm not overly optimistic in the option of DRV purchasing the trailer back from you, but who knows. I'd expect them to deflect to their vendor MorRyde.

Please keep us up to date on your negotiations with the manufacturer(s).

Thank you for your reply. I was pretty much traveling empty, two suite cases bedding and some kitchen supplies. I had RV weighed right after incident happened and we were well below weight ratings.
I guess fear plays a role in my anxiety with the RV as if I had not seen the tire coming apart in my mirror things could have gotten way worse.
My biggest problem with RVs is finding qualified people to work on them in a timely fashion. I have been RVing for over 25 years and believed that if I bought a quality unit I would not have to deal with poor quality type issues but I am being proven wrong so far !

Who's paying me back for what is still up in the air, although I am within my DRV 1 year bumper to bumper warranty. It's amazing frustrating.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:02 PM   #5

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Sorry to hear of the issue. Everyone seems to speak well of MoRyde and my few dealings with them I would say the same.
Is this a new rig still under warranty? If so, then I would hold DRV totally liable. If the damage is the result of the spring, MorRyde is responsible, however, DRV built the rig. Let DRV fix it and then recover their loses from MorRyde after they settle with you.
I had a 2011 Carriage Cameo that had a similar shear spring issue. While it did not fail it was close to it and I caught it before hand. I took phots of the spring and sent to MorRyde and a new spring was sent to me immediately overnight.
In my case, it was a faulty spring and the rubber was separating from the metal which MorRyde admitted was a manufacturing defect. Some of the springs did not bond to the metal in which case would render the spring useless.
If you are not getting anywhere with DRV then it looks to be a simple case for an attorney to handle. Don't threaten with legal action until you have no further options. Good luck.
Old 08-03-2017, 02:07 PM   #6

Thanks for your reply . I am not looking at legal action, just wanted to know if others are in the same situation. I would not say I am unhappy with DRV . Just frustrated how long everything takes and how it ruined a two week vacation .
Old 08-03-2017, 02:22 PM   #7

That really is a bummer and if this isn't a warranty issue then what is? Kinda reminds me off the run around I got from Carriage.
We had the exact same suspension failure on our Trilogy last fall, tried to get help from the dealer - useless. Called Dynamax CS who referred me to MorRyde where they asked me to look for a number stamped inside a circle to determine the correct replacement part. Part was ~$240 US plus UPS charged me 1.5 that amount , 2 hours to install and we were on our way.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:19 PM   #8

You're not alone. I spent well over $100k on my fifth wheel and it has been the worst decision I've made in 30+ years.
Joe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:39 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe11 View Post
You're not alone. I spent well over $100k on my fifth wheel and it has been the worst decision I've made in 30+ years.
Sorry to hear that. Surely you should be able to recuperate some of that expenditure and get on with your life.
Best wishes.
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
That really is a bummer and if this isn't a warranty issue then what is? Kinda reminds me off the run around I got from Carriage.
We had the exact same suspension failure on our Trilogy last fall, tried to get help from the dealer - useless. Called Dynamax CS who referred me to MorRyde where they asked me to look for a number stamped inside a circle to determine the correct replacement part. Part was ~$240 US plus UPS charged me 1.5 that amount , 2 hours to install and we were on our way.

Why wasn't it covered by warranty? They have a five year warranty, I'm getting mine shipped to me for free. Thankfully, no other damage to the tires or trailer.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
Why wasn't it covered by warranty? They have a five year warranty, I'm getting mine shipped to me for free. Thankfully, no other damage to the tires or trailer.
I wasn't aware of the 5 year warranty, should have done more research - live and learn. However, the dealer where we bought the Trilogy, Vision RV in Acheson, has a service department that doesn't even remotely deserve the name.
What's funny is, that our new RiverStone with leaf springs and Dexter E-Z Flex suspension runs smoother than the Trilogy ever did.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:53 PM   #12

I wonder if the right size rubber shear blocks where installed.

Issues with sizing the correct shear blocks is why there are few if any shops that install Morryde IS.

If the shear blocks are the wrong size then it is not a Morryde warranty issue.
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:49 PM   #13

And if Mor Ryde did the install? I would assume that they are responsible for everything at that point.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:04 AM   #14

I would stick with DRV doing the warranty service. DRV doesn't install the Mor-Ryde suspension but sends the rv to Mor-ryde for the install before it is even painted.Even though this is a Mor-Ryde failure DRV is ultimately rsponsible for your problems for the 1st year. If this is a shear spring failure then Mor-Ryde will probably send the part to DRV for install. You most likely have 8,000 pound hubs and axles. When i was there DRV had sent a unit back to Mor-Ryde for a 9,000 pound suspension. Mor-Ryde is a great company with a very good reputation in the RV industry. Good luck.
shelbytexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service