Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2019, 09:04 PM   #1

DRV JX450 - first trip

Well, we survived our first trip in the JX450. We're coming from a Cedar Creek with MorRyde IS, disc brakes, and Reese Goosebox that was perpetually overloaded for any comparisons that I make.

Unfortunately, we chose Bucees over truck stops on the trip from Pensacola to Austin, so no weight on the trailer. But from the way it rode/towed, I think we're heavy on the pin. We traveled with half a tank of fresh water, and no "toy" in the garage. Need to fill the trailers gas tanks to get some weight back there, I think. But need to make sure pump works first. Anyone think otherwise?

We're towing with a Trailer Saver BD5, and the ride was unexpectedly rough - probably due to pin weight, but need to confirm. If you end up with a trailer under 20k pounds, the Reese Goosebox is the way to go. That sucker is smooth. I say that having towed with the Andersen Ultimate, Reese, and now the Trailer Saver. Plenty of rearranging happened on both days inside the trailer. Not impressed. In the trailers defense, we were on I10 in Louisiana!

By the way - this thing is huge! It's only 7 feet longer than the Cedar Creek, but it feels massive! Gonna take a minute to adjust.

We had one "Oh Sh!t" moment - pulling out of a gas station after dark, noting the boulders on the sides of the driveway and steep drop off, the trailer lurched to a stop....crap, we hit a boulder! Nope, somehow the emergency breakaway pulled and locked the trailer brakes. I had it clipped to a bed tie down on the side, so I moved it to the BD5 so it wouldn't pull in turns. Good that it happened at about 5 MPH.

We installed a Pivot Ease sewer management system, and while it is a little more convenient, it does not eliminate the bucket full of sewer crap....at least, if you want any hope of hooking up at a non perfect site. If you're considering one, I don't think it's worth the money. The biggest benefit I see is that it sits right in front of the electric wires that hang down from the slide, offering them some imaginary protection from road debris.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2019, 06:44 AM   #2

consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:51 AM   #3

Yeah that full house prob has a very heavy pin to compensate for toys in the box.

Looking online a 20310 empty weight that 4k perhaps 4500 on the pin to start. The BD5 is rated for 5k so your very close to max pin on the hitch. You maybe looking at a TSLB and a 3rd airbag. get the pin capacity to 7500.

If the fresh water tank is upfront i dont know in a TH. But thats 50 gallons so 300 pounds. Your very very close to max on the pin weight for BD5
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 03:10 PM   #4

What are you towing with? I hope a very big truck lol
Maxduramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 03:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolenut View Post
Yeah that full house prob has a very heavy pin to compensate for toys in the box.

Looking online a 20310 empty weight that 4k perhaps 4500 on the pin to start. The BD5 is rated for 5k so your very close to max pin on the hitch. You maybe looking at a TSLB and a 3rd airbag. get the pin capacity to 7500.

If the fresh water tank is upfront i dont know in a TH. But thats 50 gallons so 300 pounds. Your very very close to max on the pin weight for BD5
It was 4k pin to start with. Need to hit the scales and see where it's at now.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 09:48 AM   #6

La has really rough Roads. Even by sorry California standards. Make sure the fifth wheel is halfway between the to bars it rides up and down on .
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 05:48 PM   #7

weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolenut View Post

I believe drv puts 100 gallon fresh water tanks in those.
42willys is offline   Reply With Quote