Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2015, 01:19 PM   #15

We owned a DRV. Great chassis. Can't say same about the rest. I would thoroughly research the Luxe. It has a lot of great qualities.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2015, 05:31 AM   #16

Excel Owners Club
We drove down to New Braunfels, TX two weeks ago to look at the 3 Luxe floor plans that Evergreen had on their lot.
We was not impressed with the build quality inside and the plumbing used all plastic valves and plastic fittings.
Plastic back splashes that you could shake that would crack going across the road.
Looked better in the pictures than in person to us.

happy tails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 05:50 PM   #17

Thanks for all the comments! Yes, the frame construction is a concern. We contacted Augusta and they said their frame was designed in-house. It is constructed from a 12” Forged I-Beam with a 2” Tube welded to the bottom, resulting in a 14” high frame. They actually gave me some strength numbers for comparison. The Luxe is rated at 21 #/ft and the DRV frame is rated at 23 #/ft. Most other frames out there are 10.5 – 12.5 #/ft. They also mentioned that Lippert was questioning the Augusta frame design saying it was over engineered!

Not sure about the plastic backsplash comment. The Luxes we saw had glass tile backsplashes and we did check them out pretty closely since we had the same thought about traveling down the road. They were very solid in the Luxes we looked at. Now I am not trying to be a salesman for the Luxe, just trying to keep the facts straight.

Lastly, concerning the Thor and DRV comments, I have heard and seen some online discussions that made some sense. One is that the ordering of a Mobile Suite with Elite options will probably be reduced or even discontinued. This will make production a little easier for the Mobile Suites, thus reducing their production cost, not necessarily the buyers cost. I personally don't think the quality will change.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:57 PM   #18

We too had been searching for an upscale 5th wheel suitable for full-time living for well over a year now. After considerable online research, several RV shows, and trips to dealerships (often hundreds of miles away) we narrowed our choices to a very short list, with DRV at the top of the list… until we saw the LUXE. We were thoroughly impressed, so much so that I flew from Florida to Indiana to tour the factory.

Buying an RV, especially one you intend to live in full time, is a personal choice. I’m not trying to convince anyone to choose one over the other, but I will say we liked the LUXE so much we bought one. Actually, none of the ones on any dealer’s lot had the options we wanted so we ordered a custom build. It’ll be ready for delivery in August. And if the house sells soon thereafter, we’ll be on the road by Christmas.

Full body paint, Mor/Ryde suspension, disc brakes, 17.5” H-rated tires (made in USA), 6-point auto-level… all standard equipment. We particularly liked the soft-touch vinyl interior walls and virtually soundproof cabin, quality cabinetry, and crown molding. Very classy, inside and out.

Again, it’s a personal choice. Some folks like chocolate, some like vanilla. If you’re in the market, i’d suggest you at least make it a point to see the LUXE up close and personal before you commit to another model.
Radio Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 11:14 AM   #19

Seen a Augusta Lux last week

Certainly I'm concerned about DRV being sold to Thor...However my Mobile Suite is a 2015 and was built prior too the transaction...The first 2 week of this month my wife and I stayed in a campground resort called Castaways in Maryland great place BTW...Directly across the road from my sight was a new Lux...The owners and I struck up a conversation about our 5th wheels and showed each other through our respected units...They were very happy with there Lux and that's a good thing,it was very attractive for sure...But with a closer look its build quality was far inferior to a Mobile Suite DRV product...If your budget for a new 5th wheel is in the mid to low $70k area sure I wouldn't count them out but don't expect the quality of an MS its not a contest...
Old 07-25-2015, 04:13 PM   #20

suiteowner, can you mention any specific areas we should be looking at when comparing the two brands? When we looked at them, we did not notice much of a difference and in fact thought the Luxe had some better ideas. Thanks!

p.s. We stayed at Castaways a few years ago. It was nice then and I have heard they have improved the place even more!
Old 07-25-2015, 04:35 PM   #21

Evergreen Owners Club
I was not that impressed with the DRV Mobile Suites that I looked at. We all have opinions and some people look at one thing for quality and others look at other places. I myself look at fit and finish. I look to see if the screws that hold the cabinet doors on are straight and flush, the trim aligns perfectly at the joints, the doors close without rubbing the latch, etc, etc. I seriously doubt there is a nickel's worth of difference between the two quality wise. However, come a year or two from now it will be a different story since Thor has become the owner........sad but true.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:07 AM   #22

There are numerous differences in these two 5ers in there build quality...Frames,wall thickness,insulation the list goes on...But if you are shopping just look at the one piece rubber roof on the MS and how well it is installed...I also might add look at the copper water manifold in the basement of the MS...I believe the Lux is 96" wide and the MS IS 101"that doesn't seem like much difference until you realize that is 39'of it... Folks I am 65 and been doing this for 30 years,my previous 5er was a 38' Excel limited great unit unfortunately a tree fell on and destroyed it...
Old 07-26-2015, 10:24 AM   #23

The one recommendation for the Lux I will make against the MS..Don't buy an MS and expect to pull it with a 3/4 ton single wheel pickup you will be very disappointed the MS is very heavy...
Old 07-26-2015, 11:01 AM   #24

We have been hoping to find a Luxe to look at too.

We like that alot of the standards on the Luxe are options on the Suite. IS suspension, tank heaters, leveling system, backup camera, MCD shades, inverter for fridge, theater seating and full body paint.

The Luxe also has soft touch ceilings, walls and slide out tops, on ceiling only in the Suite. Luxe also has multiplex lighting and the heater vents are cut into the cabinets and not floor vents. Really like the idea of not having floor vents as they are dirt, dog hair catchers.

The Luxe and Suite both have 3 1/4" thick sidewalls, contrary to what has been said here earlier. Both use hung walls with fiberglass insulation.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:38 AM   #25

We stopped by the DRV factory in late June this year. From what we saw and heard we feel very comfortable staying with DRV. We were told that though Thor now owns them they are being runas individual companies.
SrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:43 AM   #26

We stopped by the DRV factory late June this year and from what we saw and heard we will stay with DRV. They told us that though Thor owns them now they will be run as individual companies.
SrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:03 AM   #27

We just purchased our DRV yesterday. While talking with the salesman, he told us that he was a little bummed out (my words not his) that DRV increased their cost by $2800 due to "an increase in the price of material." I was pretty impressed that since we had already agreed on a price when the order was placed that the dealer didn't pass that on to us, in fact he didn't mention it until the deal was long done and we started chatting about the Thor acquisition. I asked if he thought the increase had anything to do with it, and he thought it probably did.

2015 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn CC LB Dually. Cummins, Aisin, 4X4, 4.10 gears. Max towing-28,750. Max payload-5,436. 2016 DRV Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 on order.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:03 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by suiteowner View Post
The one recommendation for the Lux I will make against the MS..Don't buy an MS and expect to pull it with a 3/4 ton single wheel pickup you will be very disappointed the MS is very heavy...
suiteowner, the Luxes are similar in weight to a DRV. We have a truck that can tow either one, just have to decide if we do decide!!!!