Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2015, 08:11 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnandon View Post
suiteowner, the Luxes are similar in weight to a DRV. We have a truck that can tow either one, just have to decide if we do decide!!!!
donnandon I weighed my Mobile Suite on a scale at a recycle center...My MS38RSSB3 weighed 20,646 pounds...I wouldn't tell anyone to go by manufactures advertised weights...DRV claims something like 16,000 pounds for my 5th wheel...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2015, 09:34 PM   #30

I am in no way down playing the quality of the Luxe...I do believe it is a well made 5th wheel and if my budget was in the 70k to 80k range I would surely give them a look...Rather then a Cardinal or a Cedar Creek and you can build a Cardinal or Cedar Creek that cost that much...

Old 08-10-2015, 04:51 PM   #31

suiteowner, if we could buy a Luxe for 70-80k we would already own one! We priced out a DRV and a Luxe, same size, etc, and the Luxe was somewhat more...maybe $3000 or so...but that includes full body paint which the DRV does not have as a standard (it's a $8k option). These are actual sales quotes we have gotten from some dealers, not MSRP. So we are still on the fence!
Old 08-10-2015, 07:16 PM   #32

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
There is a large dealer with stores on both coasts that have the Luxe advertise for $88k-92K. I know that independent suspension, disk brakes, 17.5 tires/wheels, residential fridge and inverter are all standard on all Luxe fivers.
jdpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:13 AM   #33

Yes, we have seen those. But they don't have some of the options we would like to have. You can get a base model DRV MS for almost the same, but it won't have the same items that are standard on a Luxe. If Augusta was an established company for a number of years, then its a no brainer for us. That's really the only thing concerning us about the Luxe.

p,s. They are actually a new part of the leading horse trailer manufacturer.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:23 AM   #34

I think just because the Luxe has things standard that cost extra on a DRV doesnt make one better than the other. In fact I tend to think it shows the cheapness of the Luxe. Doesnt say anything about quality but you always get what you pay for.
Fulltimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:23 PM   #35
PPG

Impressed with Luxe

My husband and I had an opportunity to tour the Luxe factory last week. We spent 3 hours going through it, talking to the employees, even met the president and sales manager. This is a very, very impressive start-up company. We've gone through other factories and currently own a different brand, which is also an upper end 5th wheel. Noticed several differences in how the Luxe is built. I know not everyone can make it out to Indiana for a tour like we had, but I think others would find. it impressive as well.

Augusta makes 2 lines in the 5th wheel category: the Ambition and the Luxe. If you're in the market for an upper end 5th wheel, you should give due consideration to this company. Pay close attention to what it does with its suspension. Only "negatives," if I could even categorize it as such, was that the cabinet storage wasn't as deep as what we had now and the unit seemed a little bit more narrow than what we have. But I believe this is because the walls on the Luxe are twice as thick as the walls are in our current unit. As we plan to be full timing soon, I'll take that any day. Overall, it felt like a much stronger unit with greater structural integrity.

I know they'll be at the Hershey show for those of you in the area. I personally can't wait to see more of what they had to offer.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:55 PM   #36

HI PPG! What's different about how the Luxe suspension is done? I thought they used the Moryde IS?
Old 08-18-2015, 07:11 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPG View Post
My husband and I had an opportunity to tour the Luxe factory last week. We spent 3 hours going through it, talking to the employees, even met the president and sales manager. This is a very, very impressive start-up company. We've gone through other factories and currently own a different brand, which is also an upper end 5th wheel. Noticed several differences in how the Luxe is built. I know not everyone can make it out to Indiana for a tour like we had, but I think others would find. it impressive as well.

Augusta makes 2 lines in the 5th wheel category: the Ambition and the Luxe. If you're in the market for an upper end 5th wheel, you should give due consideration to this company. Pay close attention to what it does with its suspension. Only "negatives," if I could even categorize it as such, was that the cabinet storage wasn't as deep as what we had now and the unit seemed a little bit more narrow than what we have. But I believe this is because the walls on the Luxe are twice as thick as the walls are in our current unit. As we plan to be full timing soon, I'll take that any day. Overall, it felt like a much stronger unit with greater structural integrity.

I know they'll be at the Hershey show for those of you in the area. I personally can't wait to see more of what they had to offer.
We also toured the plant last week and was very impressed on what we saw and feel that they will be a front runner once more folks see them out there. We did ask about doing some changes if we choose them and were received with a good response and they even liked our changes and understood why. We have something else in the works right now and if it does not happen Luxe will be the next choice.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:25 AM   #38
PPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnandon View Post
HI PPG! What's different about how the Luxe suspension is done? I thought they used the Moryde IS?
I should have said frame, not suspension. MorRyde IS is standards on the Luxe, something we had to do after market on our other brand.

It's the frame that stands out. Yes it's a Lippert. But it's a Lippert that's built to Luxe's specifications, which are significantly enhanced over our present brand. We were told that Lippert considers the frame overbuilt and told Luxe they could save many $$$. Ryan Miller, Luxe's sales manager, told us they told Lippert to build it the way they (Luxe) wanted.

Incidentally, Ryan was at DRV for more than a decade before Thor took over. In our opinion, Luxe has one of the most dedicated build staff we have ever seen. When we toured, everyone in the plant was obviously taking their time to do it right the first time. We were very impressed, and no, I don't work for them.

I will say that we are very close to doing some custom touches and ordering our own.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:01 AM   #39
PPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
We also toured the plant last week and was very impressed on what we saw and feel that they will be a front runner once more folks see them out there. We did ask about doing some changes if we choose them and were received with a good response and they even liked our changes and understood why. We have something else in the works right now and if it does not happen Luxe will be the next choice.
Did you see the layout with the laundry room? We loved that. And we travel with cats - apparently someone else had a customized cat area made below the steps. Great place to store the litter box.

I love how open they are to suggestions and working with you. I think this company is going to go very far!
Old 08-18-2015, 03:28 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPG View Post
Did you see the layout with the laundry room? We loved that. And we travel with cats - apparently someone else had a customized cat area made below the steps. Great place to store the litter box.

I love how open they are to suggestions and working with you. I think this company is going to go very far!
Yes we saw that and it looked great, did they tell you those folks got it solar prepped also. If they last and stick with their current attitude and fairness yes I also think they will go far.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:02 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
We too had been searching for an upscale 5th wheel suitable for full-time living for well over a year now. After considerable online research, several RV shows, and trips to dealerships (often hundreds of miles away) we narrowed our choices to a very short list, with DRV at the top of the listÖ until we saw the LUXE. We were thoroughly impressed, so much so that I flew from Florida to Indiana to tour the factory.

Buying an RV, especially one you intend to live in full time, is a personal choice. Iím not trying to convince anyone to choose one over the other, but I will say we liked the LUXE so much we bought one. Actually, none of the ones on any dealerís lot had the options we wanted so we ordered a custom build. Itíll be ready for delivery in August. And if the house sells soon thereafter, weíll be on the road by Christmas.

Full body paint, Mor/Ryde suspension, disc brakes, 17.5Ē H-rated tires (made in USA), 6-point auto-levelÖ all standard equipment. We particularly liked the soft-touch vinyl interior walls and virtually soundproof cabin, quality cabinetry, and crown molding. Very classy, inside and out.

Again, itís a personal choice. Some folks like chocolate, some like vanilla. If youíre in the market, iíd suggest you at least make it a point to see the LUXE up close and personal before you commit to another model.

How are you enjoying your new Luxe? We are considering ordering one and would love to hear your opinion now that you've had it for a few months. We've read some concerns about the cargo carrying capacity. Do you feel it's adequate for full-timers?
Old 06-23-2016, 08:08 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by slallen1262 View Post
How are you enjoying your new Luxe? We are considering ordering one and would love to hear your opinion now that you've had it for a few months. We've read some concerns about the cargo carrying capacity. Do you feel it's adequate for full-timers?
Good question! We are definitely full-timers now. Our house just sold, and we have no storage. We carry everything we own in the LUXE. That's not to say it has an overabundance of CCC... it doesn't. I suppose that's the price you pay for having a rock solid frame, big wheels, and 3.25 inch walls. Our CCC is just under 3000 lbs. I would have liked more but I know plenty of folks who get by with less.

We had the truck and trailer on the CAT scale last week, and came in with 940 lbs to spare on trailer GVWR, but only 280 lbs to spare on the trailer axles (with the fresh water tank half full). In retrospect, I wonder if I should have sprung for the Mor/Ryde 9K axles (vice 8K) to give me more leeway. Then again, maybe I should just give up carrying all my tools. Or not. By the way, this unit's GVWR is 21,000 lbs, and as configured and loaded now, the kingpin weighs 4,340 lbs, pretty close to DRV's in the 40 foot class.

After living in the LUXE full-time for several months, there's not much we don't like. If we had to do it all over again, we'd still go with an Augusta RV.

One thing I would tell prospective buyers is that if you can afford to wait 6 to 8 weeks to have a unit custom built, rather than buy one as is off a dealer's lot, I would definitely do that. Take advantage of the manufacturer's flexibility. We asked for a fairly significant floorpan alteration and they made it happen. We converted what would have been the downstairs 1/2 bath into a laundry room with extra storage. It's awesome!

Radio Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote