Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2017, 09:56 AM   #1

DRV Mobile Suites Then & Now

We have started our 2-3 year search for our next RV. I have always liked Mobile Suites and want to know how the new ones built after being purchased by Thor compare quality wise to units built prior to Thor.

Thanks in advance.

John
John (USAF Reti)/Cheryl (Teacher) Boo (15 year old cat), Billie (18mos cat), Ben (18mos cat), Beau (18mos cat). '20 Tiffin 32SA (Feb 2020 arrival); Past RVs: '16 Newmar Ventana 3709, '16 Tiffin Allegro 36LA, '14 EverGreen Bayhill 295RL, '12 Voltage V3200, '09 BigHorn 3400, '06 Jayco Octane, '04 Jayco Baja
JCGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2017, 01:28 PM   #2

We are happy with our 2016 Mobile Suites. If they have a model that suits your needs and budget, I would recommend them. Only other new 5ers I would consider at this point are New Horizons, Space Craft and maybe Luxe - but would want them to be in business a few more years first.

Our last rig was a Lifestyle. We thought we were buying MS quality at a lower price, which with more attention to detail in the factory could have been possible. After constant problems for a year, including Evergreen's demise, we offed it.

Happy trails,
Old 04-11-2017, 02:46 PM   #3

You might want to post this question on the Drv Suites owner's website and/or on the Drv Suites page on Facebook. There are lots of owners that have purchased their 2nd and 3rd Drv.
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:58 PM   #4

I had an '05 36TK3 from '07 til last Feb. We looked around when we realized we wanted to upsize/get a newer unit, and still came back to DRV. If you are looking at used, do not get a '12 model with the Schwintek slide rails--way too many problems with that. Off and on, the black tank valve has been difficult to operate/failed on several units because of the long convoluted cable routing; trim screws continue to break off/back out. Cabinet doors falling off because wrong screws used. Crushed heater ductwork seems to be a current problem, wiriing laying on the furnace to overheat.
There aren't any perfect units, if you are anywhere near to Rolling Retreats in Elk City, OK--they have a rep for getting the factory goofs fixed before delivery to customer.
All-in-all, a careful search of used units, using RVTrader.com and pplmotorhomes.com will get you a market value of many units to know when a good deal pops up.

[mod edit]

http://www.5thwheelforums.com/forums...splay.php?f=61

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f29/
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Explorers View Post
We are happy with our 2016 Mobile Suites. If they have a model that suits your needs and budget, I would recommend them. Only other new 5ers I would consider at this point are New Horizons, Space Craft and maybe Luxe - but would want them to be in business a few more years first.

Our last rig was a Lifestyle. We thought we were buying MS quality at a lower price, which with more attention to detail in the factory could have been possible. After constant problems for a year, including Evergreen's demise, we offed it.

Happy trails,
We had a 2014 Bayhill and it was a great unit to look at, but nothing but trouble. Got rid of it and went to a MH, but didn't use enough to justify the annual maintenance cost so we are back looking for a Fiver that we will keep for a while hopefully.
John (USAF Reti)/Cheryl (Teacher) Boo (15 year old cat), Billie (18mos cat), Ben (18mos cat), Beau (18mos cat). '20 Tiffin 32SA (Feb 2020 arrival); Past RVs: '16 Newmar Ventana 3709, '16 Tiffin Allegro 36LA, '14 EverGreen Bayhill 295RL, '12 Voltage V3200, '09 BigHorn 3400, '06 Jayco Octane, '04 Jayco Baja
Old 04-11-2017, 06:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
I had an '05 36TK3 from '07 til last Feb. We looked around when we realized we wanted to upsize/get a newer unit, and still came back to DRV. If you are looking at used, do not get a '12 model with the Schwintek slide rails--way too many problems with that. Off and on, the black tank valve has been difficult to operate/failed on several units because of the long convoluted cable routing; trim screws continue to break off/back out. Cabinet doors falling off because wrong screws used. Crushed heater ductwork seems to be a current problem, wiriing laying on the furnace to overheat.
There aren't any perfect units, if you are anywhere near to Rolling Retreats in Elk City, OK--they have a rep for getting the factory goofs fixed before delivery to customer.
All-in-all, a careful search of used units, using RVTrader.com and pplmotorhomes.com will get you a market value of many units to know when a good deal pops up.

[mod edit]

DRV | Formerly Doubletree - 5thWheelForums.com

DRV Luxury Suites - Thor Forums
Thanks for the links!
Old 04-11-2017, 08:12 PM   #7

What happens to all manufacturers. The President and COO and maybe a few other top dogs skim all the money while making crappy products and paying workers peanuts. After a few years they go bankrupt. Seems to me the MO of the RV industry.

It is like wack a mole in the 10 years I have been RV'ing.

Carriage goes under, Life Style pops up.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:54 PM   #8

Seems to me about as many get bought up as go bankrupt...
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:45 AM   #9

We would agree with previous posts. DRV is a good semi-custom production coach.
We've been very pleased with our new DRV Suites. Continuing our FT'ing a little over a yr. and <10K mi. everything working very well. No serious issues.
I'd invite you to contact and build a rapport the regional DRV sales representative in you region (West, East). We did this while shopping coaches and found him to be very helpful in spec'ing the features we were interested in. He was able to act as as a liaison between the factory and "a" dealer. Some dealers are very good some, not so much. I'm sure this practice would work with most manufactures.
In regards to Thor holdings group. We've not heard of any short comings resulting from this acquisition. Other Co. acquired by Thor Holdings such as Airstream are continuing to do very well.

Be well.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnTrek View Post
We would agree with previous posts. DRV is a good semi-custom production coach.
We've been very pleased with our new DRV Suites. Continuing our FT'ing a little over a yr. and <10K mi. everything working very well. No serious issues.
I'd invite you to contact and build a rapport the regional DRV sales representative in you region (West, East). We did this while shopping coaches and found him to be very helpful in spec'ing the features we were interested in. He was able to act as as a liaison between the factory and "a" dealer. Some dealers are very good some, not so much. I'm sure this practice would work with most manufactures.
In regards to Thor holdings group. We've not heard of any short comings resulting from this acquisition. Other Co. acquired by Thor Holdings such as Airstream are continuing to do very well.

Be well.

You must not be reading many posts about rvs on the web, Thor has just as many problems as Forest River or anyone else. Just because you pay a lot of money for camper doesn't mean you will not have any problems. Right now all rv manufacturers are selling campers and as many as they can make. People are retiring now and a lot want to see the USA
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:03 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
The wife and I took a 300 mile drive yesterday to checkout some DRV Mobile Suites. I watched their videos on how they are built and was very impressed.
What we found when we got there: we looked at 5 units total, on Elite, 3 Mobile Suites and one Air. The Air did not impress us at all and felt it was just a rebranded rig from their Jayco family. The other 4 units all looked great on the outside fit and finish was good and outside storage well done. Then we went inside, at first glance we were very impressed with the layouts and furnishings, then we started to notice missing moldings, cracked doors ( the doors that slide to cover the front wardrobe closet in every unit were split in multiple places!) the cabinet doors appeared to be constructed well but had a finish in a lot of areas that looked like the wood had not been sanded completely prior to staining (dull and dark areas). The crown molding in the living area where the walls meet the ceiling were terrible, several pieces put end to end with as much as 1/4 inch gaps between them and corners that weren't close to meeting with a poor attempt to putty them together. Nail holes throughout the units were very poorly covered with putty that appeared to be the wrong color. Note these were all 2017 units. We left very disappointed and have now crossed DRV off our list[emoji17]. As a foot note last night while unwinding from our trip I did some research online to find that DRV was purchased by Jayco 3 years ago. I read numerous accounts of disappointment from people that felt the quality has gone down and also read some real horror stories. Not trying to offend anyone that owns one and hope what I have found doesn't apply to yours.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 12:35 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
You must not be reading many posts about rvs on the web, Thor has just as many problems as Forest River or anyone else. Just because you pay a lot of money for camper doesn't mean you will not have any problems. Right now all rv manufacturers are selling campers and as many as they can make. People are retiring now and a lot want to see the USA
Perhaps I read more than you estimate, FT'ing over 6 yrs. you see a few coaches too, but that is really neither here nor there. The OP was regarding the DRV Suites production quality pre and post Thor Industries acquisition. What demonstrable information have you offered on any of the Thor Industries company’s?
Yeah the whole industry has a systemic QC problem with another bubble forming. What are you going to do abstain from making a purchase for a decade or two till the boomers die off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
The wife and I took a 300 mile drive yesterday to checkout some DRV Mobile Suites. I watched their videos on how they are built and was very impressed.
What we found when we got there: we looked at 5 units total, on Elite, 3 Mobile Suites and one Air. The Air did not impress us at all and felt it was just a rebranded rig from their Jayco family. The other 4 units all looked great on the outside fit and finish was good and outside storage well done. Then we went inside, at first glance we were very impressed with the layouts and furnishings, then we started to notice missing moldings, cracked doors ( the doors that slide to cover the front wardrobe closet in every unit were split in multiple places!) the cabinet doors appeared to be constructed well but had a finish in a lot of areas that looked like the wood had not been sanded completely prior to staining (dull and dark areas). The crown molding in the living area where the walls meet the ceiling were terrible, several pieces put end to end with as much as 1/4 inch gaps between them and corners that weren't close to meeting with a poor attempt to putty them together. Nail holes throughout the units were very poorly covered with putty that appeared to be the wrong color. Note these were all 2017 units. We left very disappointed and have now crossed DRV off our list[emoji17]. As a foot note last night while unwinding from our trip I did some research online to find that DRV was purchased by Jayco 3 years ago. I read numerous accounts of disappointment from people that felt the quality has gone down and also read some real horror stories. Not trying to offend anyone that owns one and hope what I have found doesn't apply to yours.
Actually it was Thor Industries group that purchased DRV Suites in late 2015. They own as a holding group perhaps 17 RV manufacturing companies all of which are in business, still. I do believe Jayco is on that list though.
Doubt anyone is going to get offended by anything you saw on your tours or anywhere else. Things are what they are. If you want a semi custom production coach you go to the companies that make them, and hold their feet to the fire or walk like you did. They come and go. We liked our Travel Supreme, Teton Homes, but they bailed. Frankly, I’ve seen several imperfections in the wood trim boards as wood tends to have character that way, particle board with laminates, not so much. But yeah sloppy mill work is just that. Schwintek slide rails "pre-Thor" were a bummer, things happen, family business' burn out.
Hopefully you’ll find the make and model that fits your sweet spot.
Be well.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:41 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
DRV Mobile Suites Then &amp; Now

MtnTrek you are absolutely correct on it being Thor , I miss spoke. Agreed that wood has character, as I have worked with wood for most of my life and surly am not looking for "one off" perfection. The moldings at the ceiling over a 18 foot run had as much as 4 pieces none overlapped, with only straight cuts that didn't even come close to touching ( at least a 1/4 inch gap) and every unit we went into had split bedroom closet doors. It also doesn't say much for the dealer that has these on their lot in this condition. In So Cal the DRV dealers are far and few between.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 06:16 PM   #14

Interesting thread. As the owner of an 05 MS for the past 9 years and a Cardinal for 7 years before that I'd like to add to it. We don't full time but we are out a minimum of 5 months a year and more like 6 to 7 most years. I can't comment on the new MSs because I haven't used mine up yet. At 12 years old I am having to do a bit more repairs and preventative maintenance but it is still a solid trailer which is the point of this mini rant.

Some points:

It is reported that there are 2000 people a day retiring and many want a fifth wheel. So if you want one you better buy it.

The same group of execs and workers build almost all these trailers in Indiana. When one brand gets a bad rep or quits selling they shut it down, change the name of the company and update the product with a new brand name. It's being built by mostly the same people.

When they get behind on the line which is probably daily given the number they are selling, they take short cuts to catch up. Those short cuts are the little nit pick things a lot of buyers whine about on forums. Thing is they all do it so when comparing brands it is a tie.

MS is a quality trailer. If you are in there looking at the cabinets and the molding and the colors of the drapes and making a decision on that junk, you are missing the point. These are "trailers". You intend to hook them to a truck and pull them all over the USA and Canada. (our map is completely filled in) In case you haven't heard President Trump, our roads across the USA often suck. That trailer will take very many very very hard jolts as you travel. The brakes will get worked overtime on a lot of mountain roads, the springs will work their butts off on back roads from Biloxi to Cody and back again. The screws, glues and rivets will be stressed beyond belief and every thing else will be under stress each and every time you move.

The MS is twice the trailer the Cardinal was but not in stuff cause it had almost all the stuff the MS has. The difference is in the quality of construction. Not the construction of the window blinds or the curtain rods but in construction of the TRAILER. So get out of the living room and get under and on top of the unit. For starts what is the size and heft of the frame, the axles, the brake size, the springs, shocks and the roof. That's the stuff that counts. What tires are on it, anything under H invites an exciting event in your future life. Same for anything made anywhere that has direct flights to Shanghai.

Now, look at how the unit is assembled. Any trailer with the small 3/4 inch outside moldings holding the front panels together with screws and glue will fail there, it's just a matter of when. The caps front and rear should be solid as possible. Look at the front and rear caps on a MS and use it as a point of comparison. I'm talking about the real MS not the down grade one that is a fancy Montana. Look at all the seams and see how they are built. Probably the greatest enemy of a fifth wheel trailer is water intrusion, whats worse is undiscovered water intrusion and if you drive in the rain that intrusion can come from the bottom up. Take a second and third look at those joints. Will they be totally water proof after 3 years or 10.

I say all this to make a point. If you will look at the real MS and inspect all those things then compare it with other 5ers I think your decision will be easy. And I don't care if it's an 05 like mine or a 17 like I looked at last winter. They are built to last.
stanleyz is offline   Reply With Quote