Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2015, 02:36 PM   #15

I've ran all three many times. Works great. I can hear them going from 2 to 3 units on. Trailer cools down real fast after a day of traveling in hot weather. Glad we got 3.
I happened to be parked next to the camp hosts at one campground, and I had all 3 a/c's running, and I went outside to do something and both the hosts were sitting outside, and they were commenting on what a nice 5er we had, and then they said they noticed that I had 3 a/c's. I thought they were going to charge me for more electrical service, but thankfully they just wanted to tell me how nice it was that the AC units were so quiet. You can hardly hear them run.

Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2015, 03:17 PM   #16

Our Teton is 40ish in length with large slide outs. We only have 2 a/cs and they keep our unit comfortable even in South Texas heat. We only have 2ish inch walls but it is Blue Dow dense foam. Our previous DRV, 33', had 2 also. It needed three. Had 3.5" walls too.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 04:13 PM   #17

Well when one goes out, bet your going to wish you had 3
:-)>
Old 09-26-2015, 06:25 PM   #18

What do I want 3 for? That's like saying 2 hot water heaters, 2 stoves. Silly statement. If one went out I would just replace it. Just 4 lag screws and wiring.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
Old 09-26-2015, 06:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasmoeturhead View Post
Well when one goes out, bet your going to wish you had 3
:-)>
Completely agree
Old 09-26-2015, 06:42 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Completely agree
Another silly statement. And no I would not. Just fix it or change out.
Old 09-27-2015, 05:57 AM   #21

Yeah that makes sense. I'll stick with our configuration.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:32 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
Another silly statement. And no I would not. Just fix it or change out.
Glen I don't say anything you have to say is "SILLY".

My reasoning for 3 units is I want that sucker to cool down quick and also keep the rig nice and cool at 113 degrees. The bonus is if one goes out we will survive until I can get if fixed or replaced.

At this point in our lives we have the money to be "SILLY" if we want to!
Old 09-27-2015, 09:23 AM   #23

What you have is your choice. What I was calling Silly is someone suggesting I need a 3rd a/c for a spare when one goes out. My DRV needed a 3rd unit.
Old 09-27-2015, 12:12 PM   #24

Quote:
What you have is your choice. What I was calling Silly is someone suggesting I need a 3rd a/c for a spare when one goes out. My DRV needed a 3rd unit.

We are good, got it!

I don't know if this new DRV would need a 3rd AC but I do know when ours went out on the last 36' MS in 90+ weather in PalmSprings it was not fun until I replaced the Hard start capacitor, I think that's what it was called.

Problem I had with the 36' not cooling well in general had to do with the foam that sealed the cover to the unit did not seal on a lot of areas so I cleaned old foam off and replaced with new Dometic Foam kit and it cooled MUCH better.

First thing I did on the new MS was check the seal quality on all 3 AC units and they all looked good!
Old 09-27-2015, 02:11 PM   #25

Quote:
What do I want 3 for? That's like saying 2 hot water heaters, 2 stoves. Silly statement. If one went out I would just replace it. Just 4 lag screws and wiring.
If you have the opportunity when ordering a new 5th wheel, why not add a 3rd unit, if your the type that needs A/C a lot. Cheaper to do it that way than later. Especially if you want it ducted. I'm not saying YOU need one, but some might like it. I know I do. I'm also willing to bet that the average person who is going to buy a luxury unit who travel for recreational purposes, and who stay on the road, and are in the age group that can afford one, would be better off ordering a 3rd A/C . I don't see them just tearing off the old one, and just running down to the store and buying a new one and putting it on. Not going to happen. Why not just let them spend the extra $1,000 for a 3rd unit and be over it.

Murphys law will allow the A/C to blow up 300 miles from nowhere. If you only have one A/C left , it might get a bit hot while your camping, and trying to find a place that can install one, or in your capacity just bolt on, and your done. Not sure if I would have ordered a 3rd unit, but I didn't special order my rig, and the 3rd unit was already there, and I'm glad it is. Buy the esy, I'm also a EPA certified A/C&R Universal Technician (Retired ), and I can tell you no 2 people are the same when it comes to air temperatures, and comfort zone.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:10 PM   #26

If that was directed toward me I doubt I will ever buy another. Our Teton is a great unit and in excellent shape. It's a keeper. If I did, it wouldn't need one either since it would be a Continental Coach or a New Horizons.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:30 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorr1821 View Post
I appreciate the candid comments. I will be opting for the 3rd air. As was stated in one comment more is better than not enough.

I would disagree with the statement of only being able to run two A/C's at the same time. I did hear that same rhetoric from a person who claimed to be an chief engineer at DRV. But that same person made a statement that you only have a total of 50 amp going to the unit. But the reality is when you are plugged into a properly wired 50 amp pedestal your are getting 50 amps to leg 1 and leg 2 which share a common neutral. Basically you have 240 volts coming to the pedestal which is split into two 110 v sharing a common neutral. Using Ohm's law you really have 100 amp of power or another way to state it you have 12,000 watts to use. The largest generator found in most diesel pushers aside from a Prevost is 12kw which supports a 100 amp service.

Thanks again to the forum members.
Remember you only have a neutral that can handle 50amps not 100.I would ask if the ac's have a "delay on make"timer and each one a different lag so if you have them all set to come on when you plug in you don't get that huge starting current at one time.I allways turn my ac's off but some folks don't.
something also to check,some rv's that have a 50amp setup are not actually 50amp on each bus in breaker panel.They can be a 50amp bus and a 30amp bus.