Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2018, 01:07 PM   #1

DRV retail price vs reality

Looking at the latest DRV dealer pricing that I can find (2015) it appears that there's about 30-40k markup in the higher end units. So, how much have people actually been able to get the dealer to discount when buying?
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2018, 03:26 PM   #2

About that much . Check with the outfit in Kansas they say that they knock 30% off
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 06:32 PM   #3

Rolling retreats should be able to email you a current build sheet with retail pricing.They have build sheets from whatever model they make with options listed.They did that for me last year.Figure around 30% off retail sheets.
42willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:28 PM   #4

We got 35% off on a floor model that Lazy Days wanted to move. Deal was hassle free.... getting things repaired under warranty has been another issue.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:19 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
rollon, where is the issue, Lazy Days or DRV?

Dave
Old 02-08-2018, 09:23 PM   #6

Cool, thanks! I'm interested in a Full House. I think we've decided that we want a toy hauler, for multiple reasons, and they seem to have decent living space when compared to others.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:45 PM   #7

We looked at those,very nice.They are very heavy about 20k empty depending on what model and options.So you will need to look at your t.v. capacity.We ended up with a drv 36,now putting swivel trailer on it.You can schedule a tour of drv if you are in the area.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:49 AM   #8

I have no idea if they compete apples for apples but;

Have you by chance looked at New Horizons?
Old 02-09-2018, 12:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
I have no idea if they compete apples for apples but;

Have you by chance looked at New Horizons?
Not apples to apples.N.H. higher price point.N.H. is the only 5er I know of you can put a hydralift on.Maybe spacecraft also.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:16 PM   #10

I have ventured to the NH website a time or two...then quickly decided I may need a second full time gig to go that direction. I chatted with Luxe about their new toy haulers, and they still ride on a 12" I Beam, so at that price point, I don't think so.

I'm trying to justify the nearly $50k price difference between the DRV and the other toy haulers out there. I know there's 10k in suspension/brakes/tires, and the frame.....but is it worth the money? I don't know yet.

Also don't know I'd be willing to pull the sucker down a gravel road to boondock either...and that's one thing we like doing.
Old 02-10-2018, 06:21 AM   #11

How much are you looking at hauling in the garage? River Stone, Cedar Creek Silverback, Grand Design and I believe Montana have one but will only fit a single bike or a golf cart but only entry from outside. Just another option for you.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 06:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
I'm trying to justify the nearly $50k price difference between the DRV and the other toy haulers out there. I know there's 10k in suspension/brakes/tires, and the frame.....but is it worth the money? I don't know yet.
Maybe some upside on the resale value down the road compared to the usual suspects to help justify the difference?
Old 02-10-2018, 08:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
How much are you looking at hauling in the garage? River Stone, Cedar Creek Silverback, Grand Design and I believe Montana have one but will only fit a single bike or a golf cart but only entry from outside. Just another option for you.
My primary reason for looking at the toy haulers isn't so much for toys, it's to use that space as an office for my wife and I, put our bikes/grill inside vs on a swivel wheel trailer when traveling, and to have the patio space for the lazy dog. Also to allow me to move my office/desk in and out, depending on the weather.

We're in a RL floor plan now, and while it's got alot of room, we have replaced the dinette and one chair with smallish sit to stand desks, and it would be nice to have the regular living space back and to put our work elsewhere.

We looked at some yesterday - Momentum, Road Warrior, and Cyclone. Momentum is off the list because no matter what floor plan, the have no closet space. The Road Warrior floor plan (429) we're interested in wasn't on the lot. The Cyclone (4005) was actually the best of the bunch we saw, but still lacking in bedroom space.

I know it's all a compromise, but come on manufacturers. We saw two that had tiny underbelly storage, and then ran a plumbing drain pipe thru the middle of it. The units that have wardrobe slides vs bed slides have less clothing storage than a suit But mostly, it's the total lack of kitchen and bedroom space that turned us off of the ones we looked at.

We did look at a DRV Mobile Suites on the lot - not a Full House, but still a nice unit. As I was looking thru cabinets, one door almost fell off - a hinge hadn't been screwed in. Not that the screws came out - they were laying in the cupboard, not used. Really? I'm still trying to wrap my head around how those highly skilled Amish craftsman forget to put the screws in a cabinet hinge on something like that.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:55 AM   #14

Excel Owners Club
For a full house DRV I hope you are planning on a bigger truck? I had a DRV Elite Suites a number years ago and I was using a Ford F550 to pull it. I believe my GVWR of the trailer was 20,000#. Even my 2017 Ram dually is not rated to pull this weight trailer. I have 3.42 rear axle and 68RFE trans so my GVWR is less than a Ram equipped with 4.10 dually and Aisin trans. The GVWR on this is 24,000# with a 20% pin weight that is 4800# This is a lot more than any SRW truck is rated for. This would even push my 14,000# dually payload which is 5445# by the time you add a hitch big enough for the trailer this size and without any people in the truck.

This is IMO

we had a DRV Elite Suites a number years ago and I was using a Ford F550 to pull it. I believe my GVWR of the trailer was 20,000#.By the way we bought it new and we had more problems with that rig that after one year we traded it in on an Excel. Some could not be fixed as we tried numerous times. This thing had so many air leaks that even when we had a Seal Tec done they couldn't even get enough pressure up to begin to find all the air leaks. The thing was like a sieve and it leaked water like one also and we were living in it full time while on a project and in Oregon close to the coast someplace you don't want a trailer to leak. One closet was built for a stacked washer and dryer and we wanted one also. Wrong, the closet was to narrow for one so the dealer had to rebuild the entire closet so they would fit. We almost had the unit burn up while we were away during the day. Came back and the light fixture was melted and when it melted luckily it broke the connection to the power or we probably would have lost it. I could go on and on but I won't. Just let be said we were hoping for better with an over $110,000 with options (in 2006) but didn't happen.
Butch50 is offline   Reply With Quote