Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2015, 04:59 AM   #15

The DRV has a long front end. It will use up all the room of the 8 ft bed. It will be real close to the cab of a short bed truck. My Trilogy is built just like it and the front of the camper hangs right over the hitch in the bed. Be sure before you get a short bed truck to pull it!
I installed my 24K B & W Companion hitch over the axle, into the factory Fifth wheel Pucs and my 21K Trilogy rids well there. That hitch can be installed 2 inches in front of the axle, over the axle, or 2 in behind the axle, by the selection of which holes you put the uprights into in the base. Good luck.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2015, 06:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinc2011 View Post
The DRV has a long front end. It will use up all the room of the 8 ft bed. It will be real close to the cab of a short bed truck. My Trilogy is built just like it and the front of the camper hangs right over the hitch in the bed. Be sure before you get a short bed truck to pull it!
I installed my 24K B & W Companion hitch over the axle, into the factory Fifth wheel Pucs and my 21K Trilogy rids well there. That hitch can be installed 2 inches in front of the axle, over the axle, or 2 in behind the axle, by the selection of which holes you put the uprights into in the base. Good luck.
Your call but you should place some weight on the front axle. "Proper" placement is 2" ahead of center rear axle.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:38 AM   #17

I have a Ram 3500 DRW crew cab long bed. It has the Aisin transmission and the 3.73 gears. It is rated to pull 23,500 the way it is set up and a payload rating of 5,550 pounds. Our 5th wheel GVWR is 18,600 pounds but we are no where near that now. I scaled the truck at 9,400 pounds with t full fuel tank, B&W hitch, and bed cover. The camper weighs 16,800 without the generator we will soon install and the motorcycle. We have the hitch set up 2" in front of the rear axle and it pulls extremely well. Considering the DRV you are getting is heavier than the camper we have, if it were me, I would get the same truck but with the 4.10 gears. It will make a difference in the mountains. You won't be disappointed.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:59 AM   #18

I have a 15 F350 DRW 4x4 w/ 3:73 gears. I'm pulling a 36 ft Excel @18K + 1,500lbs (Goldwing & trailer) and have no problems. Towing I get 10-11MPG. Not towing I'm getting 15 - 15.5 MPG. Remember, the higher your gear ratio = lower MPG. but you need to get a truck capable of towing your coach. I've been on the the max of tow capacity and it isn't pleasant or safe. Good luck
Old 06-20-2015, 09:26 AM   #19

Excel Owners Club
Big B, if you measure your 36 GKE you'll find it's over 39' from nose to ladder. My 34 IKE is actually 37.5' long.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:09 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorr1821 View Post
I am going through the same exercise in trying to match a vehicle to a DRV. I am looking at the 3500 Ram, DRW, Mega cab, short box, and 4x4. It is my opinion if your DRV will not exceed a GVW of 19500 then the 3.73 is more than adequate. Based on Ram towing spec's which are in compliance with SAE J2807 the 3.42 will tow a 20,320 trailer with the Aisin transmission. The 3.73 is rated to tow 23,320. These rating are for the Mega cab. When you buy the Cumins with the Aisin you get the high output Cumins which does not come with the A6 68RFE transmission. Optimally, the 4.10 is the best but you are going to sacrifice fuel economy. You can go to www.rambodybuilder.com and verify Ram towing spec by vehicle type and axle ratio. This is an official Ram site used by converters and others to verify specs.

As to the dry weight, pin weight, and GVW for the DRV you can call DRV at 260-562-1318 and they will provide you typical weighs for a specific floor plan. Your final weigh will depend on your options and floor plan. Every DRV is weighted before it leaves the factory so I have been told by DRV rep.
Have you bought your megacab yet? I had purchased an absolutely gorgeous megacab and ordered a 24k pullrite in anticipation of our DRV. The weekend after I bought the truck I was perusing the SOITC forum and found some disheartening information. As mentioned later in this thread, the 2012 and up DRV's hang out past the king pin. No problem on a longbed, but possibly an issue with a short. I ended up driving three hours to take measurements. Based on wifey' calibrated eyeball, the front of the trailer is two feet past the kingpin. That leaves roughly six-eight inches between the cab and the trailer, which is way too close for me to be comfortable. I returned the truck and got a longbed.

Let us know if your setup works and good luck!
Old 06-21-2015, 03:12 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurg View Post
Have you bought your megacab yet? I had purchased an absolutely gorgeous megacab and ordered a 24k pullrite in anticipation of our DRV. The weekend after I bought the truck I was perusing the SOITC forum and found some disheartening information. As mentioned later in this thread, the 2012 and up DRV's hang out past the king pin. No problem on a longbed, but possibly an issue with a short. I ended up driving three hours to take measurements. Based on wifey' calibrated eyeball, the front of the trailer is two feet past the kingpin. That leaves roughly six-eight inches between the cab and the trailer, which is way too close for me to be comfortable. I returned the truck and got a longbed.

Good call!

Be sure to get the B&W RVK3600 hitch.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:14 AM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurg View Post

I have not purchased a truck but will take a closer look at the DRV king pin. I was looking at the Pullrite slider hitch for the short box so turning would not be an issue. Thanks.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:27 AM   #23

I had the pullrite ordered and paid for when I found this out. Turning is one thing, but I was also concerned with going through dips...

The companion 3600 fit perfectly in my factory fifth wheel package. Very nice setup. Now all I need is my truck back from the shop and a phone call saying the DRV has been delivered and is ready for pickup. Then I might even be able to around to contributing relevant information to this thread. Like weights and stuff.

Tags
weight