Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2015, 10:15 AM   #1

DRV Suites Trailer Weights

Hello, all. Does anyone know of a source or website that lists the trailer weights and pin weights of DRV Suites coaches? I've found some that list the dry weights, but not the CCC along with that. I'm wanting to buy a RAM 3500 4x4 truck, and I want to know if one with 3.73 rear end gears and a towing capacity of 23,500 lbs. is enough to pull one, or do I need to order a truck with 4.10 gearing. Thanks for any help you can give me.
tampabiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2015, 01:17 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampabiker View Post
Hello, all. Does anyone know of a source or website that lists the trailer weights and pin weights of DRV Suites coaches? I've found some that list the dry weights, but not the CCC along with that. I'm wanting to buy a RAM 3500 4x4 truck, and I want to know if one with 3.73 rear end gears and a towing capacity of 23,500 lbs. is enough to pull one, or do I need to order a truck with 4.10 gearing. Thanks for any help you can give me.
IMHO, All DRV units are serious RV's. You should be looking at a 3500 dually with 4.10's. Don't cut yourself short.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:48 PM   #3
paz

Quote:
I don't know why DRV is so tight lipped about their GVWR. HERE is a link to one website that has some data. The link takes you to Mobile Suites floorplans and data. Click on Elite Suites, Estates, or Tradition in the left column under 5th wheels for data on those other models.

None of the data from the website above will give you loaded pin weights, but I would figure 25% of the trailer's GVWR.

That brings up another point. A 4.10 axle ratio may give you a higher towing capacity, but I don't think the GVWR increases. Therefore, check possible pin weight against payload. And remember, payload also has to include passenger(s), tool box, the hitch and whatever else you're carrying in the truck.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:54 PM   #4

Depending on the size of the Drv you should have at least a newer truck that can tow 30k (combined). We had a 2007 Select Suite, loaded it weighed 16,400. We now have a 2012 Mobile Suite that weighs 19,400 loaded. The Drv's are heavy
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:24 PM   #5

The Ram 3500 with Drw max tow setup has a GCVWR of 30,000 with the 68RFE transmission, or 37500 lbs with the Aisin Automatic. My new Trilogy is a Residential camper as well, I have not scaled it yet, but the Pin Box on the camper has a 21,000 lb rating. I recommend that you get the Upgraded wheel package. Mine has 215/75R17.5H tires on it with a 125 psi rating! I will say that it pulled much better than the Alpine 3600RS which was a 15.5K class 39 ft fiver. It is heavier, but with the More Ryde pinbox it pulled much better, and did not use any more fuel than pulling the Alpine.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:07 PM   #6

My 15 RAM LongHorn Dually Crew with rear air, Aisin and 4:10's has a combined tow rating of 37,800#. And is backed up by SAE J2807 standards.

DRV may be "tight lipped" and for good reason. Our new 39TKSB3 weighs in from the factory at 18K with a 21K rating.

We opted for the Quartz tops along with the gen prep and other things that add weight above the base model.

Op I would highly recommend getting the same truck I listed above as one smart man said "don't short your self" !

It is amazing how easily the 4:10's and Aisin trans get the load rolling!
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:37 PM   #7

I have the 2015 3500 DRW 4x4 with the 4.10. Just towed the new 36 Mobile Suites a little over 800 miles. PERFECT MATCH. I had the same debate...get the 4.10 and you will be very happy.
bluefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 06:56 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I agree with the 4.10's instead of the 3.73's. With the OD and the aspin transmission, you can't go wrong.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:37 PM   #9

Thanks for all your responses. I figured 4.10's were the best way to go, but it's nice to get confirmation of that from those of you out there pulling with them. I was just hoping 3.73's would work, since the local dealer can't find one with 4.10's anywhere in the country. Why advertise 30,000 lbs. of towing power when you have to order a truck to get it? The power of marketing, I suppose. I always wanted to order a new truck; I just hate the wait.
tampabiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 04:19 PM   #10

Tampabiker, we were facing the same question 2 years ago and we ended up getting the 3500 DRW with 3.73 diff. and Aisin transmission. Our 5th wheel weighs 18500 # and the truck doesn't even brake a sweat and yes we spend a lot of time in the Rockies.
If I had to do it over again I would not make any changes. IMO the Aisin with the 3.73 differentials is a perfect match.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Thanks for all your responses. I figured 4.10's were the best way to go, but it's nice to get confirmation of that from those of you out there pulling with them. I was just hoping 3.73's would work, since the local dealer can't find one with 4.10's anywhere in the country. Why advertise 30,000 lbs. of towing power when you have to order a truck to get it? The power of marketing, I suppose. I always wanted to order a new truck; I just hate the wait.
Contact Dave Smith and Dennis Dillon in Idaho.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:50 PM   #12

We were recently looking for the Ram 3500 with the 4.10 ratio and Aisin transmission, but Dave Smith in Idaho said that they had only 1 on hand with a Laramie level. We found some at McKinney Chrysler in Easley, SC, 1 at Whitten Brothers in Ashland, Va, 1 at Capital Chrysler in Garner, NC. If you're still looking, tampabiker, check there.

The reasons given for the shortage (by the dealers we spoke with) is that the 16s will be coming out soon, so folks are snapping up the 15s for decent prices.
tnmblair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmblair View Post
We were recently looking for the Ram 3500 with the 4.10 ratio and Aisin transmission, but Dave Smith in Idaho said that they had only 1 on hand with a Laramie level. We found some at McKinney Chrysler in Easley, SC, 1 at Whitten Brothers in Ashland, Va, 1 at Capital Chrysler in Garner, NC. If you're still looking, tampabiker, check there.

The reasons given for the shortage (by the dealers we spoke with) is that the 16s will be coming out soon, so folks are snapping up the 15s for decent prices.
I had the same problem when looking for my truck. Multiple dealers said there wern't any and they checked all other dealers. So, I went to ramtrucks.com Ram Trucks - Pickup Trucks, Work Trucks & Vans Went to the Search Inventory section and gradually opened up the search area all the way to Colorado and up to Washington. I'm in SoCal. Found one truck only 300 miles away in Las Vegas. Worked out a deal over the phone, drove there with my '08 F350 and drove home with my nice new RAM. But I had to do the work! The dealers lose interest real fast!
Old 06-16-2015, 08:16 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I am going through the same exercise in trying to match a vehicle to a DRV. I am looking at the 3500 Ram, DRW, Mega cab, short box, and 4x4. It is my opinion if your DRV will not exceed a GVW of 19500 then the 3.73 is more than adequate. Based on Ram towing spec's which are in compliance with SAE J2807 the 3.42 will tow a 20,320 trailer with the Aisin transmission. The 3.73 is rated to tow 23,320. These rating are for the Mega cab. When you buy the Cumins with the Aisin you get the high output Cumins which does not come with the A6 68RFE transmission. Optimally, the 4.10 is the best but you are going to sacrifice fuel economy. You can go to www.rambodybuilder.com and verify Ram towing spec by vehicle type and axle ratio. This is an official Ram site used by converters and others to verify specs.

As to the dry weight, pin weight, and GVW for the DRV you can call DRV at 260-562-1318 and they will provide you typical weighs for a specific floor plan. Your final weigh will depend on your options and floor plan. Every DRV is weighted before it leaves the factory so I have been told by DRV rep.
rorr1821 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight