Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2015, 06:15 PM   #1

Dry camping using Honda gen to charge battery

We dry camp and in the past run the Honda 2000 for a couple of hours in the afternoon to charge the battery. Should I let the trailer charge the battery or plug in my battery charger and charge the battery using the remote charger. My trailer will push the voltage to 12.6 vdc but not sure about the amperage.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2015, 06:26 PM   #2

there are very resonably priced amp meters you can plug into your generator and then run the cord from there to your TT

http://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Elect...ds=kill+a+watt

this is what I use. your generator likes to run under a load.. your charger will not put much load on it..

HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 06:29 PM   #3

Use the generator and built in charger to bulk charge for a couple hours then let the line to the vehicle do the last 10 that takes a while. It's in the chemistry not the charger.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:26 PM   #4

What is the 'last 10' you mention?

I use a multi-stage auto battery charger run off the gen that seems to always do a better job than the converter being run off the gen.

Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
What is the 'last 10' you mention?

I think this is referring to the last 10% of charging......meaning after the battery reaches 80-90 % state of charge, the charge rate tapers off, and the battery charges slowly until it reaches 100%
Old 10-10-2015, 09:00 AM   #6

I have never had much luck trying to use the TV to do anything but help a little to keep the battery(s) at current level while driving. Can't see using the TV to charge while camping unless no other source available and batts are down.
3 weeks ago, camping at Lottis Creek above Gunnison, couple was trying to leave and the batts would not raise the trailer high enough to hitch, even plugged in to elec--apparently, the converter had quit and batts low. He was connected to the truck to try, but not having any luck. Carried my charger down and plugged it in and connected to batts--was easy from then on to raise.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 11:24 AM   #7

I learned a long while back that to keep batteries charged dry camping to use a battery charger. Works great and never had a dead battery.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:01 PM   #8

Quote:
My trailer will push the voltage to 12.6 vdc but not sure about the amperage.
Are you saying that with the trailer plugged into the generator you only get 12.6vdc out of the trailer's converter? Our trailer has a Intellipower Converter that will push out 14.4 vdc when in boost mode. 12.6 will not charge a battery unless you have several days to wait around.
Bill
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L 5th. Wheel, 5th. Airborne Pin Box, B&W Companion Hitch, RVS Wired Rear View Camera, TriMetric Battery Monitor. Honda EU2000i. 2002 F350 Superduty, CC, LB, 6 Speed. 7.3 Diesel. US Navy Retired, E8. No More Football for Me.
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 07:00 PM   #9

The balance between the state of the battery charge and the capacity of the converter/charger or battery charger set the voltage the battery is charging at. The higher the battery charge level or the higher the charger capacity the higher the charging voltage will be. That voltage will rise as the battery is charged. You really need to understand a bit about battery chemistry to understand what you are doing and seeing. Try this site:

Basic to Advanced Battery Information from Battery University

A problem with converter/charger systems is that the charging current is split between the battery and the house loads. IF you have a 30 amp converter it can supply a maximum of 30 amps. If the house is drawing 20 you have 10 for battery charging. Scale according to what you have. That does open up the opportunity for boosting the charging current with a second charger like a clip on plugged into the AC fed by the generator that is also feeding the house. That is something you have to work out with your load balancing.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:52 PM   #10

It depends. What make and model is your trailer's converter and what make and model is your portable charger? What type and size of batteries are you using? Whatever you do, do not use the unregulated 12v output of the generator.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:23 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Find your converter or your power distribution center

If the PDC has both fuses and breakers in it give us THE MODEL number not on the cover but on the tag inside.

If the Fuses and breakers are behind two different covers find the converter and give us the model number.

ODDS are the converter will charge better and faster than the 12 volt a long way from DC outlet on the Honda... Also 4-6 hours minimum to charge fully.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:25 PM   #12

World Friendship Co. WF-8945A. Best I can tell the 8945 is a 3 step battery charger rated at 45 amps but mine is a A? The newer units are 3 steps for battery charging but don't know about my A. 2007 Prowler.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:26 PM   #13

And your battery size and type?
Old 10-13-2015, 09:34 AM   #14

Well, this is what I learned. The WF-8945 model provides 45 amps and a clean, constant 13.6V DC nominal output, for reliable operation of electronics and appliances. Automatic three-stage charging extends the life of your battery with output voltage modes of 13.2V DC range “float” mode, 13.6V DC range “absorption” mode, and a 14.4V DC range “bulk” charge mode. I called WFCO and they confirmed this. So, with my Interstate SRM-24, 550 CCA, 699 MCA I will use my generator plugged into the coach handle the battery. We usually after lunch (when dry camping) run the generator for a couple of hours for other things and after 2 hrs the battery should be charged. I also have a spare smaller battery just in case.

Tags
battery, camping, honda