Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2014, 10:33 AM   #15

The Excel with the entry steps in the slide is very innovative, and the steps there are really rock solid. And the floorplan does make sense how it opens up the living room. I question the use of the half bath - it is a waste of space for most people. But it is necessary if you have a front bath and want access to the toilet while travelling. It is a personal decision.

The statement that the 7.3 Ford 1 ton will "pull" anything out there may be true, but it is not rated to do so. It will not be legal, and may have the rear axle overloaded on the heavier 5ers. But no problem with the Excel. I just don't want others to believe that a Ford 350 will legally pull "anything". Especially an older one ton.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2014, 07:05 AM   #16

I have been watching this thread out of curiosity more than anything else. When you finally mentioned an Excel model 37SDF I Googled it.
You may think I'm weird, but I honestly expected it to cost more! Nice fiver.
Does anyone know where to find an approximate cost of a similar model of the top brands?
I always thought Continental, New Horizons were closer to $300K, but have no idea where the other makers fall.
Just a curiosity, so if you don't know, don't worry about it.
I can't wait to see which trailer the OP finally gets!

Old 01-27-2014, 07:27 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The maximum GCWR for my 2002 F350 CC DRW was 2000# and the GVWR was 11500#. There is no way the truck was rated tow my current Cameo or 37' Excel. As Jack was noting, the 7.3L can tow an Excel, but you will be well over rating for the truck.

What would help is to look at used trailers and trucks.

Ken
Old 01-27-2014, 10:06 AM   #18

The average cost of a New Horizon is under $200K. I'm not sure that you could do anything to get the actual selling price to $300K - but I'd be willing to help you spec one if that is your goal
Old 01-27-2014, 11:13 AM   #19

One of the new big 3 duallies will tow a 37' Excel. But not a 37' New Horizons or Spacecraft. We looked at these 3 this summer, visiting their factories. New Horizons and Spacecraft are definitely nice rigs - but a little too heavy for us.

Regarding the Rhino roof - I wouldn't be afraid of a new 5er with either the rubber roof or the Rhino roof. Both hold up well. That said, if you're that concerned about the Rhino roof and want fiberglass then look at the Excel Limited series - the fiberglass roof is standard on them.

Good luck,

Jim
Old 01-28-2014, 04:47 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Mayer View Post
The average cost of a New Horizon is under $200K. I'm not sure that you could do anything to get the actual selling price to $300K - but I'd be willing to help you spec one if that is your goal
You're funny! I honestly thought they were that much.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:55 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
We looked at every FT 5r at the Tampa Super Show for two solid days. Talking to the Reps, taking photo's, all the specs, floor plans, after all is done we came up with our top selections.

1. DRV
2. Space Craft
3. New Horizon
4. Excel
5. HR Presidential
6. Trilogy
7. Open Range
8. Continental Coach
9. Redwood

Not necessarily in that order and I know that I am missing a couple others. We then narrowed that list down for day 2 of the show went back and in that group we came up with

1. DRV
2. New Horizon
3. Excel
4. Presidential
5. Trilogy

Everyone of our top picks had Pro's and Con's. It is tough to weigh features and costs but when you factor in every aspect to include the living space, comfort, build and what we both agreed on our final top pick is the
Excel 37 SDF. With the Rhino Roof.
We would also opt for the Residental Fridge. Everything about this floor space is what we like! Everything! So here is what we really like beside the floor plan is the Hickory Cabinets, Construction, Options and how Excel will modify anything for your specific need. The door being in the slide makes for division between recliners and your table. Makes for a much more open feel inside.
Now the Cons: No real history on Rhino Roofs on RV's yet. Very new technology and Excel is the only brand to venture into this. I expect other's are watching to see how it works out. With that note, if I could get this same build with a Fiberglass roof, I would do that as it is proven. The other factor is when the slide are in, you are limited access to only recliners, table, and 1/2 bath. Maybe the Fridge.
The only thing keeping us from jumping right into this unit now is #1 price is about $130k with options we want. And #2 even though I could make this deal happen, little nervous about that much money into a unit with new technology (Rhino Roof) that has not yet proven itself in the industry. We could opt for the Rubber Roof but I want that tough as nails roof like a Fiberglass. So for now, I think will wait and see if Peterson puts that floorplan on the Limited where I can get the Fiberglass or do a wait and see how the reviews go on the Rhino Roof.
I understand and can relate to your concerns about a brand new roof technology. I had the same decision except to a lesser degree because it was just the slider roofs that would have Rhino applied in my case. The things that swayed me are PI's confidence in the product and past experience with spray on bed liner repairs (it's easy!). Realistically, it will take years to really know how Rhino liner holds up in this application.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:57 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamvir View Post
One of the new big 3 duallies will tow a 37' Excel. But not a 37' New Horizons or Spacecraft. We looked at these 3 this summer, visiting their factories. New Horizons and Spacecraft are definitely nice rigs - but a little too heavy for us.

Jim
It depends on how you define "duallies". If you restrict it to just F350 class trucks then your statement is most likely true - although there are 37' New Horizons that can be legally pulled with an F350 dually. But you are definitely in the "may work, may not work" area.

If you also count the F450/F550 and Dodge 3500 HD then they can easily pull a 37-40' New Horizons with spare capacity. You may choose NOT to use one of these, but they will do the job - both legally and pretty comfortably.

Where the F450 and Dodge both start to get out of spec is on the RAWR. In the larger NH and Spacecrafts the pin weight can be too much for the axle. Even though everything else is well within spec.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:07 PM   #23

coming from a commercial coatings background, if the Rhino coating is anything like its bed liner cousin, you'll have NOTHING to worry about. The high quality polyurethane coatings
are very tough.
I wouldn't think twice about it on my fiver.