Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2012, 12:45 PM   #1

Dynamax Trilogy vs DRV Tradition

Hi all:

My wife and I are on a 2 to 3 year full time trip before going back to the real world. We are currently in a 30ft airstream and are going to move up to a 5th wheel. We have narrowed it down to 2 that our dealer carries so we can trade in easier, the Dynamax Trilogy and the DRV Tradition. They both are 12 inch frames etc, the Tradition with all the same options as the Trilogy would be about $10,000 more for us...

Does anyone have opinions on one over the other?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2012, 09:30 AM   #2

Hi,
No I do not have an opinion. My only advice is to check out this site for information on the two 5ers and then you can make an intelligent decision.
http://www.jrconsumer.com/
Jim W.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:44 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I'm not familiar with the DRV Tradition model line, but if it's built on a 12" stacked rectangular tube chassis, that's the same as the previous entry level Select Suites model lineup. Both the Mobile and Elite Suites are built on a 15" stacked rectangular tube chassis (2"x3" on a 2"x6" on a 2"x6").

We've been quite satisfied with our Mobile Suites over 7+ years of ownership, but how well that translates to the Tradition model is anyone's guess.

I've never heard of, let alone seen, the Dynamax Trilogy, so I can't comment on that model.

Have you considered gently used and well maintained DRV Suites units? You could probably find a good one for significantly less than a new lower-line model and have a reliable, well built unit with the first owner taking the depreciation hit.

Full-time rigs such as these are HEAVY, so be sure you have enough tow vehicle before you purchase one.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I can't comment on construction. I visited the DRV factory spring 2011. Rusty already commented on construction. I was impressed with DRV's willingness to make changes to floorplans to fit my exact needs. To me (as a full timer) I want the largest coach I feel comfortable in and is within my TV tow limits. DRV coaches (as far as the Mobile Suite) is a bit longer than the DynaAire 5ers. And, again specifically for me, DRV has floorplans closer to what I want.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:30 PM   #5

The Tradition is the new entry level DRV since they got rid of the Select line. Most people were upgrading to Mobile or Elite Suites options anyhow. But since the Select (and now the Tradition) were built on a 12" I (yes, I not box - only MS & ES are on box frames) they very worried about over load, I believe. So now the Tradition is built lighter than any of the others. The quality of construction is still there but just not all the foo foo that those of us have with our Mobile or Elite Suites.

Oh they also now have the Full House line which is a toy hauler built on the 15" frame. So if you want to toy haul, you can now do it with a DRV!
Palpatine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:38 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palpatine View Post
But since the Select (and now the Tradition) were built on a 12" I (yes, I not box - only MS & ES are on box frames).....
Oops, sorry. Guess it's apparent I never paid much attention to the Select Suites. My bad.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:43 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
The DRV web site doesn't have anything on the Tradition thus my lack of knowledge about it.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #8

Thanks all. Trying to stay new so we can trade in... Our dealer gave us a great offer on the trade and trilogy today, so we ordered it. A little scary never have seen one in person!!!

Now to find a used 3500 dually....
Old 01-12-2012, 09:45 PM   #9

Are you saying you ordered a new trailer without seeing one on the lot? Are just not the one you are ordering?
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:02 PM   #10

I know not to bright... Plan on seeing one in the next few weeks as they hit lots, well before mine starts it's build ( I hope!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60
Are you saying you ordered a new trailer without seeing one on the lot? Are just not the one you are ordering?
Joe
Old 01-12-2012, 11:09 PM   #11

Interesting looking trailer and floorplan. Hope it lives up to your expectations.
22 cu ft fridge?
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:16 PM   #12

Thanks me too.
Yeah 22 cu ft but no propane on that fridge, so we switched it for a 13.5 electric / propane fridge...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60
Interesting looking trailer and floorplan. Hope it lives up to your expectations.
22 cu ft fridge?
Joe
Old 01-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #13

Well, I saw one today at the Florida Super RV Show. Quite Impressive. Hope you have a good size truck to pull it. From what I saw it would be on my list of units for consideration if I was looking for a new unit. Good luck with your purchase & certainly hope you have minimal problems & a good dealer to support you.

Reg
Old 01-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #14

Thanks for the feedback!
Helps with my apprehension..

We decided to go with electric fridge after all and move our solar over to help with it..

By chance did it give dry weight and capacity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Owl
Well, I saw one today at the Florida Super RV Show. Quite Impressive. Hope you have a good size truck to pull it. From what I saw it would be on my list of units for consideration if I was looking for a new unit. Good luck with your purchase & certainly hope you have minimal problems & a good dealer to support you.

Reg