Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2006, 08:50 PM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
The Michelin XPS Rib is a great tire. Well worth the money. Another tire you might try is the Bridgestone R 187. It is All Steel construction also.

Just after the Ford/Firestone debacle, Goodyear had a silent recall...if you complained you might have gotten an adjustment or new tire. I recall it was around '02 or '03.

I couldn't tell you if your tire was faulty or not. Most failures are caused by abuse , low air pressure, running over curbs, potholes ect.

I check my pressure daily, every morning when we are traveling and usually at every stop. Of course the pressure will and should be higher when checking them during the day while traveling. On the other hand I hardly ever check my car tires
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2006, 03:41 PM   #16

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Tom,
I had checked the air pressure a 100 miles before it blew. I have been to two Goodyear dealers now and they will no do anything on a tire that old (2002). I am not sure what I am going to do now. One dealer suggested a 14 ply tire. I am close to the maxium weight they can carry.
Tom
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 07:24 PM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
If the tires are dated '02, it is not that old. You can tell by the DOT number, the last four digits give you the week the tire was built and the year. Example, "1502" is 15th week of 2002.

You have been to two Goodyear dealers, but have you called Goodyear direct? Tire companies want to keep you as a customer, so a call by you will usually yield more results. Deales are sometimes wary of offering an adjustment , only to have it turned down by the manufacturer.

You are correct in saying that you are near max capacity with the "E" rated tire. Four tires will carry 12,168 pounds at 80psi. I would say you are ok, but air pressure would need to be 80 psi, and checked religiously.

Goodyear makes a 14 ply rated "G" load range tire. Call Goodyear consumer relations and tell them what happpened, and let them know you are interesed in the Goodyear G614 RST good for up to 3750 lbs at 110 psi, pictured right.

You will need to have a tire dealer check your rims to see what max pressure they are rated for.

Good luck
Old 04-30-2006, 08:01 PM   #18

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by diandtom:
Tom,
I had checked the air pressure a 100 miles before it blew. I have been to two Goodyear dealers now and they will no do anything on a tire that old (2002). I am not sure what I am going to do now. One dealer suggested a 14 ply tire. I am close to the maxium weight they can carry.
Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All tire manufacturer's now limit manufacturing defect warranties to 6 years from date of manufacture. According to 1 dealers website this is because tires age from the inside to outside, causing hidden tire damage, until it fails like yours. One must now determine that date by reading the last four digits of the dot numbers on the sidewall. My personal experience with this involved Titan tires. I bought 4, and 2 years later 1 developed a tread separation. The selling dealer said they were manufactured 4 years before I bought them, and the warranty expired 2 years after I bought them.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 05:36 PM   #19

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I got the 2002 number from off the sidewall on the tire that blew. The fiver is a 2003 but was probably made in 2002. These tires are not a high demand tire so it may be a few years old when you buy it. I keep covers over the tires when at the house, so they will not get LV damage.
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 02:15 PM   #20

My trailer has 15" wheels and Michelin does not make a load range E tire in that size. My trailer eats Goodyear Marathon tires. When I bought the trailer used I replaced all tires with Goodyear Maratons. I check air pressure daily and keep my tires at the maximum pressure. After my 3rd tire failure I replaced the valve stems with steel stems. I have had 4 more failures since then. We have put 54,000 miles on the traier and the axel loads are not excessive. The only 15" load range E tires are made by off brand manufacrturers and the cost of moving my axels so I can run 16" tires is excessive. So I watch my tires and wait for the next failure. I would jump at the chance to spend $900 to get rid of my marathons.
Retired Navy. 2001 Quad Cab 2500 Auto w/4:10 rear end. PRXB Pac Brake. Miller Manufacturing Truck Bed Cover and Rigged to tow a 1995 29' Automate 5th wheel with 1 slide out
cwsoules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 04:53 PM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My trailer eats Goodyear Marathon tires </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do the tires wear on the inside or outside, or have feathering wear?
Old 05-09-2006, 04:16 PM   #22

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cwsoules:
My trailer has 15" wheels and Michelin does not make a load range E tire in that size. My trailer eats Goodyear Marathon tires. When I bought the trailer used I replaced all tires with Goodyear Maratons. I check air pressure daily and keep my tires at the maximum pressure. After my 3rd tire failure I replaced the valve stems with steel stems. I have had 4 more failures since then. We have put 54,000 miles on the traier and the axel loads are not excessive. The only 15" load range E tires are made by off brand manufacrturers and the cost of moving my axels so I can run 16" tires is excessive. So I watch my tires and wait for the next failure. I would jump at the chance to spend $900 to get rid of my marathons. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would pull a string on your axles and see if they are straight. You might be scrubbing the tires just being slightly off. A company I know had a home made 53 foot flatbed that had troubles with the rears towards the front. Axle allignment was the problem. Once it was straighted out, they had no more problems.

Carriage has started to use a ST tire on their 34-35ft fivers made by Power King that is supposed to be manufactured by Cooper Tires. The 235x80x16E has a max load rating of 3400+lbs. This to replace the terrible Marathon.

They also have 15" tires. The 16 is about 2" taller than the 15 load range D tire.

Here a link to look at

http://www.tbcprivatebrands.com/multimile/viewline.asp?

When you get there click on tires first, then View I think, choose ST Tires and you should see the trailer tires. If thats not the right order play with it, You'll get it.

As far as the 16"LT tires the Michelin Rib is the best thing out there.

Dave