Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2006, 05:53 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I have LT235/85/16E Goodyear tires on our fiver. One tire got a split on the sidewall and the replacement got a bulge on the side and I have had two of them to blow out. The last was last week and I had checked my air pressure about a 100 miles before it went boom! Both of these tires had a hole in the sidewall you could stick your fist in. Is there a brand that will carry a heavier load than other E rated tires and please don't say Goodyear as I have had enough of them
I have AAA roadservice with RV and in Florida they guy I called refused to come when I told him the flat was on the fiver. It seems he was wrong and AAA gave me $54 off of next year dues if I stay with them. In Florida they are suppose to honor the RV part on the AAA, but if I get somewhere where they will not honor it to call towing service and turn the the bill into AAA Carolina and they will reimburse me.
Tom

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2006, 05:53 PM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I have LT235/85/16E Goodyear tires on our fiver. One tire got a split on the sidewall and the replacement got a bulge on the side and I have had two of them to blow out. The last was last week and I had checked my air pressure about a 100 miles before it went boom! Both of these tires had a hole in the sidewall you could stick your fist in. Is there a brand that will carry a heavier load than other E rated tires and please don't say Goodyear as I have had enough of them
I have AAA roadservice with RV and in Florida they guy I called refused to come when I told him the flat was on the fiver. It seems he was wrong and AAA gave me $54 off of next year dues if I stay with them. In Florida they are suppose to honor the RV part on the AAA, but if I get somewhere where they will not honor it to call towing service and turn the the bill into AAA Carolina and they will reimburse me.
Tom

Old 04-14-2006, 09:34 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First off don't blame the manufacture for your failure to take proper care of your tires.
You have an 2003 5vr with tires that were most likely manufactured in 2002. Check the sidewall for the manufacture date. Your tires are old and probably dry rotted from sun damage. Did you perform the proper visual inspection of the sidewalls prior to bringing it out this year
When was the last time you took you rig to the scales and had it properly weighed
Did you have loaded the way you normally travel with it? Also did you weigh it from side to side to check the actual weight on each tire?

Don't get mad at the tire manufactures if you did not do all of these things, it's not their fault if the tires are not defective.
I do know that they will pay for all repairs for a defective tire.
I personally had 2 tires separate on a 4 week old TT and do $1500 worth of damage to the TT. The tires separated like retreads. They only had 500 miles on them and the TT was just weighed at the beginning of the trip. I sort of had them over a barrel
Sorry about the bad luck but it's up to you to perform your seasonal maintenance.
I would go and buy 5 new tires and not risk the others not being bad also.

If you are still looking for another brand of tire then try MAXXIS
They make a ST235/80R16 10PR tire.
Old 04-15-2006, 05:20 AM   #4

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
The tires are 2002 and the fiver sits under a shelter with covers on the tires. I did weigh it after I got it and it weights 11500. I was running max air pressure 80 psi. None of the tires have any cracks, they look almost new but they are gettting old. Two tires gave me trouble within the first year I had the fiver. I would also like to know how does SuperGewl know how I take care of my tires???? I am seeing a lot of problems with this series of Goodyear tires on the Northwood forum.
Tom
Old 04-15-2006, 05:42 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tom, all tire manufactures will have some bad tires from time to time. Since you had problems with your tires from the very start, I'd weight each tire and make sure you are not overloaded on one or two tires. Due to the way the trialer is loaded, you could be overloading or very close on one axle and not the other.

Even though you have the tires covered most of the time, that will not help with ozone attacking the rubber. It is in the aire we breathe and attacks rubber. Any tire that is over 5 years old is suspect.

Hope this helps a bit.

Ken
Old 04-15-2006, 09:10 AM   #6

We had Goodyear E tires manufactured in May 2002 on our trailer. Had a tire develope a buldge on the sidewall in April 2003. Took to Goodyear dealer in Myrtle Beach SC. He convinced me that the tire would not do that unless I had hit something and Goodyear would not warntee. I bought a replacement tire and went down the road. Fast forward to November 2004 Tire comes apart onI-10 in AZ. Took in to dealer in Lake Havasu. He got autorization from goodyear to replace tire for $25 based on trad depth. I told him that seemed more than fair but I was concerned about the rest of the tires as this was the second defective tire on the rig. He had me talk to the goodyear people and after a discussion of weights and proper inflation they replaced the rest of the tires for between $25 and $40 depending on trad depth. They so quicly agreed to the replacement I belive there was a silent recall and their agentss are told to replace tires when ever any one complanes. I did pay the dealer $25 per tire extra to upgrade to a michlem tire with stronger sidewalls.

31.5ft Hitchhiker 31.5 LKTGK
Jim 5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 04:43 PM   #7

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Jim,
Your problems sound a lot like mine. The first tire replacement was free and the second cost me $44. The one that blew out in Atlanta I paid $96. the last one the Goodyear deal wanted $191 and I said no way and went and got a Uniroyal for $164. Two of the tires that came with the fiver are on the ground now. I think I am going to buy one more tire and put the last one I bought on the ground. I am not sure of what brand to buy.
Tom
Old 04-17-2006, 04:55 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
If you're looking for a problem-solving load range E tire in the LT235/85R-16 size, I'd highly recommend the all steel construction Michelin XPS Rib. These tires are recommended for commercial trailer service by Michelin and have solved tire problems for many 5th wheel owners.

I ran these on our previous 5th wheel and never had a problem. It's amazing how much cooler these tires ran compared to the fabric-and-steel Goodyear Wrangler HT radials that were OEM equipment on that 5th wheel.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 05:38 AM   #9

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Rusty, I am going to check on the Michelin XPS. The only problem I got is one of these tires go no miles and another got only 500 miles on it. I do have one Goodyear that has over 20,000 miles on it and it still looks like new.
Tom
Old 04-17-2006, 11:00 AM   #10

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I just got back from the dealer that I buy my tires from and a set of Michelin XPS RIBS will run for the fiver over $900. That is a lot to pay for tires. He did say that the sidewall was much stronger on these tires build like a commerical truck tire.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:59 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by diandtom:
I just got back from the dealer that I buy my tires from and a set of Michelin XPS RIBS will run for the fiver over $900. That is a lot to pay for tires. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Much less than the $2500 in damage a tread separation caused to our first 5th wheel. This is one of those cases where you get what you pay for. The peace of mind was worth it to me - YMMV.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 01:08 PM   #12
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Tom,

For that tire it's probably a fair price. The Michelin XPS Highway LT235/85-16E lists for $194 each on the The Tire Rack. Add the tax, mounting, balancing, etc and $900 out the door is not that bad.

With the Michelin's you'll probably solve your tire problems for the next several years.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:54 PM   #13

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Yes Richard that is a fair price. In Titusville the Goodyear dealer wanted almost that much for the replacement Goodyear that just went BOOM. I have done business with these people for years and they have always done me good. I did lower the hitch one notch because it was towing the trailer up in front putting more weight on the back tires.
Tom
Old 04-24-2006, 03:50 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just replaced with the Michelin XPS Rib and have to say they are excellent! The stock Tacoma tires that came with our coach were 2 ply and had developed bulges in the sidewalls of the two rear wheels....Those were by and far the junkiest tires I have had on any vehicle EVER! It's a miracle I didn't have any blow-outs! Ya could put your finger on the sidewall from the inside and see a perfect form of the shape of your finger...

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote